Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Username_Chris Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2013, 11:07 PM
    Can anyone tell me the purpose of life other than finding happiness?
    See, from what I've experienced everyone has a purpose and it's always different. Some people however never really find theirs because they never stop to think and analyze their life and think to themselves what they're supposed to do and accomplish with the precious time they have on this marvelous planet. Most also like to stick to their routine and like it that way that years pass them by without having a clue as to what they are supposed to be doing for the sake of Earth. I don't want to rant so much but it bugs me that there are so many incompetent people out there and I guess I'm being a little arrogant stating this but I can't help but look around and see that it's the truth.

No hard feelings to anyone but that's the way I feel. I try to get along but mostly everyone I see is sort of not doing the meaning for the greater good. And to let everyone know, I'm the type of person who tries to connect to nature and understand what we are intended for. Because the way I see it, us humans are the worst disease that has ever plagued this universe. I see my dog and he listens to me but I can tell that he's annoyed with the way we live.Which I explain to him I feel every time we take a stroll around the park. Anyway, yada yada. I just wanted to get things off my chest about the thing that has been bothering me the most in this point in my life and will continue do so but until then I can only anticipate the end of the beginning or the beginning of the end. I'm really not sure which one lies ahead for me.

If you've gotten this far I appreciate your patience and glad you took some time out of your life to read this. Thanks and God Bless!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 12, 2013, 11:14 PM
    What exactly is your question? You want to know the meaning of life? For who? You, or others?

You seem to be a bit jaded about people, and the world we all live in. Not everyone is going to grow up to do great things, and not everyone wants to. Just because the majority of people don't live up to your standards, doesn't mean that they're not living fulfilling lives, or making their tiny piece of the world the best piece they can.

Why do you let what other people are doing, or not doing, bother you so much? Why not concentrate on your accomplishments, not others? What great things have you done lately?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 13, 2013, 12:49 AM
    Why did you say God bless ? Which god is it ?

If you have a religious belief, that normally tells you why are you here ? If you are Buddhist, you believe that you are here to live a better life so that you can reach an inner peace and your soul returns again and again, till you do. So for them, you are here to reach a higher level of inner peace.

Each person finds their own reason, for those with no god, it is merely to acquire personal happiness normally, though money or sex or business.

Feb 13, 2013, 04:03 PM
    My question was exact. What is the meaning to life and not in my view but your own personal view. Every time I ask this most people answer with the usual and I'm glad they have a definition but if it's always the same why does it have to be so? Mine's is completely different but no ones seems interested at all because they believe it's really hard to do. Even though it's not because I know we all have the same capabilities do whatever we want to do. But some people chuckle and say a sarcastic joke following with inevitable failure. Which crushes me and try to explain to them that it doesn't have to be that way.

And I do feel jaded towards people because we are an disease. We grew from bacteria to eventually evolve into what we are now. That is if you believe in evolution. If you don't then it's fine but that's not my point. My point is we are inhumane to our mother nature. Take for example zoos, look at zoos, why do we keep creatures in cages locked up for our amusement? It's appalling and disgusts me. I understand some animals are kept there because they're becoming extinct and we want to maintain their survival. But others which have plenty of their kind are cornered tranquilized so we can imprison them to make a few bucks thus becoming wealthy. That is very disturbing. Although, if it were to be a zoo but calling it something different such as 'animal rescue center' to help out species which we may expect to be becoming extinct then that is fine. I just don't agree with caging animals for our personal viewing. I know in some point in time they have to survive and fight for their lives in the wild but that's not out problem. At least, for the most part. As in, say, we don't kill cougars, lions, cheetahs hyenas etc. for us to eat. That's is up to natural selection. We do however kill pigs, cows, chickens etc. for our own well being. Which is part of our instincts. Whenever this occurs and I happen to be eating an animal which was killed for my sake I pray and thank mother nature for passing on that creature's energy on to me so I can benefit from it and live another day to fulfill my purpose. That's just one example. I could list more if you would like to hear more on this subject.

The part where you say people are happy with their routine and how not everyone is going to go on to complete their destiny for the greater good - Of course it isn't going to happen, we live in a spec of land that is becoming overpopulated as I type. We weren't meant to become this way. It's people who never thought ahead in the future who eventually had too big a family to makes this happen. About those people, there are millions of them so you do the math and think about that. Again, Darwin's survival of the fittest applies here. I won't go into detail.

I believe in destiny, because we are all made up of the same material as stars. So we all have a connection with the universe in some way. We just have to figure out what it is. For some it takes years and decades, for others it's a strong feeling inside them which is trying to connect to the solar system so they have strong instincts on where to go to find their meaning in life. One problem I think we have is connecting to the universe. I've been doing so for a couple years now. Such as praying to the sun and thanking it for giving us the light and shine in order to see our planet.

For the last part about what you said on focusing on my goals and not letting other people's bug me; I can't. It's rubbish. We're all connected so we all affect each others actions. I have to admit, though, I am a nice person but seeing and experiencing everything, I'm only half content with how we're currently living. Thank God for Obama's speech yesterday, I continue to have hope for humanity. So I'll leave it at that. Peace.

Feb 13, 2013, 04:11 PM
    Hello. I'm not sure if I replied to you or myself but I typed some paragraphs replying to your rebuttal. I'm new plus to this site plus I've got things to do.

I also forgot to answer your last question about what I've done with my life lately. Today, I practiced feng shui and found lots of interesting things when doing so. Also, I plugged in an electric cord to the wall and it was terrifying; I did near a cursed outlet, which always shocks the f*&k out of you so you can only imagine how hard I was shaking.

Peace and God Bless.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 13, 2013, 04:14 PM
    You took zoos as your first example here anyway.. and that's fine. You are not alone at all; countless people are fighting the zoo concept. Actively. Work, time, money, fund raising, protesting. PETA posts videos all the time of cruelty to zoo animals. There have been some multi million dollar lawsuits over this too.
    I happen to believe that there is no meaning to life. Does your dog look for meaning? I don't either. It's quite liberating not to need one. I don't need one. I could die any time and in the split second before death (hopefully it will be fast) I will say phew, it's over. I lived, I died, like millions of homo sapiens before me. I tried to do good to my planet. I tried not to consume and destroy too much of it. I chose not to have children, which I consider my major contribution. I suffer when fellow humans suffer, but I also think there are far too many of us on this planet.
    I hope you find what you want to find without putting other people down. You sound young, I am old.
    Pets Expert

Feb 13, 2013, 04:26 PM
    My question was exact. What is the meaning to life and not in my view but your own personal view.
    So you want to know what everyone on this forum thinks the meaning of life is, from their own personal view? Well, for me personally, the meaning of life is to live. I live each day to the fullest because of my past experiences. I have two wonderful children, a college degree (but I work in retail so I can be a mom), a wonderful husband, a small zoo of animals (apparently you're against keeping animals in cages) and all in all, a very good life. Could things be better? Sure. There are trials, but that's part of being human, nothing is perfect. I wake up each day hoping to have the best day ever, spend time with my kids, spend time with my husband, take care of my animals (most of them are rescues). The meaning of my life, is to live it.

Mine's is completely different but no ones seems interested at all because they believe it's really hard to do. Even though it's not because I know we all have the same capabilities do whatever we want to do
    So you have a different goal than others, and you become upset when they won't follow your goals, the path you've chosen. But, then you say that we all have the same capabilities to do whatever we want to do. It doesn't sound like you want others to do what they want to do, you want them to do what you want them to do. That's very hypocritical.

And I do feel jaded towards people because we are an disease
    This is your belief, not a fact. So, if you want to believe that you're a disease, that's fine. But if you go around telling others that they're a disease, that's not right. It's not your right to force your beliefs on others, especially when it's all to make them feel bad about themselves.
    Take for example zoos, look at zoos, why do we keep creatures in cages locked up for our amusement? It's appalling and disgusts me. I understand some animals are kept there because they're becoming extinct and we want to maintain their survival. But others which have plenty of their kind are cornered tranquilized so we can imprison them to make a few bucks thus becoming wealthy. That is very disturbing. Although, if it were to be a zoo but calling it something different such as 'animal rescue center' to help out species which we may expect to be becoming extinct then that is fine. I just don't agree with caging animals for our personal viewing.
    Don't like zoos? Don't go to them. That's a no brainer. There are many people that feel the same way you do. Those people don't go to zoos, thereby not giving their support financially. Obviously there are enough people that like zoos that they continue to thrive.

There is a zoo where I live. All of the animals in that zoo are animals that were injured, and can no longer survive in the wild. The money that the zoo makes from admission, is used to care for the animals. I support that. That's my choice, and like it or not, I do have that choice, as does everyone else.

Bottom line, you have your point of view, and you posted here not to find out what others think or believe, but to further your agenda. That's not discussion, not at all, because I really don't believe you want to hear what others have to say, how they feel, what they think. You want others to agree with you. If you want to do that, start a cult, find like minded people, and sit around discussing your beliefs. If you're going to talk to educated people from all around the world, you're going to have to accept that we aren't sheep, and won't blindly agree with everything you write, just because you think your way is the only way.

Good luck.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2013, 04:51 PM
    " Also, I plugged in an electric cord to the wall and it was terrifying; I did near a cursed outlet, which always shocks the f*&k out of you so you can only imagine how hard I was shaking. "

This outlet could definitely interfere with your happiness. Get an electiician to check that out for you.

Feb 14, 2013, 07:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smearcase View Post
    " Also, I plugged in an electric cord to the wall and it was terrifying; I did near a cursed outlet, which always shocks the f*&k out of you so you can only imagine how hard I was shaking. "

This outlet could definitely interfere with your happiness. Get an electiician to check that out for you.
    Good one. I chuckled.

Feb 14, 2013, 07:15 AM
    I know, it's hard being this young with so much talent. Sometimes I feel like I'm wasting it away. But I'm not; it's just the balance of nature I guess. I just have to give time some more time in order to balance the equation.

Your explanation was helpful, a lot actually. I have thought about that part you said about it means nothing really. I saw my dog yesterday and tried to figure out what makes him content in his life. I concluded that it's the walks I take him on and that I give him food that I eat because he doesn't like that hard crunchy stuff. Neither do I. And basically we like each others company, knowing we have each others support. But his companionship I guess is his purpose and that makes me content.

I might've come on too strong on this site but you know the feeling where you're mad at the world because it's not going the way you want it to? I had that feeling when I wrote the question. Plus, it was late and I was intoxicated. I like people in general it's just I always feel like I'm missing something. Could be a woman, I've been abstinent for almost a year and it's ridiculous. I'm at the age where I need it everyday. Enough about that, I think as the year progresses I will help out society as best as I can.

Peace and good luck.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 14, 2013, 07:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Username_Chris View Post
    Hello. I'm not sure if I replied to you or myself but I typed some paragraphs replying to your rebuttal. I'm new plus to this site plus I've got things to do.

I also forgot to answer your last question about what I've done with my life lately. Today, I practiced feng shui and found lots of interesting things when doing so. Also, I plugged in an electric cord to the wall and it was terrifying; I did near a cursed outlet, which always shocks the f*&k out of you so you can only imagine how hard I was shaking.

Peace and God Bless.
    'You have things to do'. Well we do as well, we are all volunteers here with other busy jobs so you can say thank you for our time'.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2013, 07:31 AM
    Hello U:

Can anyone tell me the purpose of life other than finding happiness?
    This is simple.. The purpose of life is to propagate itself.. Finding happiness is some liberal idea, but it's NOT part of the equation.

excon
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 14, 2013, 07:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello U:

This is simple.. The purpose of life is to propagate itself.. Finding happiness is some liberal idea, but it's NOT part of the equation.

excon
    Propagate only if you feel the offspring will be beneficial to society, like selective human breeding.

Feb 14, 2013, 07:47 AM
    I get your point of view and I've hear that one the most. But you took what I said way out of context. When I said we all have the same capabilities I meant whatever we want to achieve we can and if you want to do something you think you're not capable of, shame on you for not believing in yourself. Let me give you a better perspective... you know when someone says they would like to do something or accomplish something but at the very end they say it's either too hard or they can't do it so by fault they give up? That's what I mean. Like for example, say you wanted to do yoga or learn how to dance salsa, or something you personally want to do or accomplish, why not do it instead of limiting yourself to it's too time consuming or you just lack the will. I hope you're catching my drift.

And yes, we are a disease. It's a fact, we originated from bacteria, that is a germ floating in the air. But when I wrote that I wasn't trying to make it seem like everything we touch we destroy. That does seem to be the case, though. I guess you can call it a beautiful disease. Because most of us are beautiful creatures. I'm sure you are, too.

But did you really read everything I wrote because it seems like you didn't? No, I don't like zoos but I stated that there are some that serve a purpose such as : helping sick animals and preventing them from becoming extinct. Keeping animals locked in a cage is wrong and unnatural. The animal isn't happy but apparently it makes you happy. It's the same thing as a person being locked in jail, it's very sad and depressing. So I wouldn't do that to any animals. I would like to own a farm and have hens and roosters so I can eat eggs everyday and appreciate the chicken and hens for the lovely food they have sacrificed for my well being in order for me to survive so I can do good for the world. That's the cycle of life. Of course I would have to build a fence around the farm to prevent my animals from escaping but that's for their benefit. If they're released then a wild animal such as a fox might eat them up. But they don't know or care what happens to them if they decided to leave their niche. At least I know I'm doing them a favor and doing good on my part to fence them in order for both our benefits. It's like George Orwell's book called 'Animal Farm'. It's similar to what I just explained.

I guess I'm done talking out of my . But know this, I had a fun time. I feel like we connected. I still disagree with you, though.

Love, Chris.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 14, 2013, 01:49 PM
    My purpose in life is to provide happiness for others, to help them find it. By losing myself, I will find myself.

Be sure to read the recent essay about happiness on the site blog.
    Pets Expert

Feb 14, 2013, 02:18 PM
    I guess I'm done talking out of my . But know this, I had a fun time. I feel like we connected. I still disagree with you, though.
    And I disagree with you, but that's what discussion is about. You'll never meet anyone that has the same views as you do. Part of getting things done, changing things, is not only talking, but listening as well. :)
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 14, 2013, 02:27 PM
    When I said that life has no meaning for me I wasn't being simplistic by mentioning your dog. I have struggled with plenty of tragedy and depression in my 66 years. I arrived at that notion by going through a long and complicated fire. I find it liberating, although it doesn't make me a Pollyanna life freak by any means. Life just is what it is, and I consider it vanity to think we are more important than the bacteria you mention us evolving from. Vain, ego-centric, self-important. That's what separates man from other animals. But even that derives from self preservation that nature encoded in all animals. We are vain as a survival mechanism. We fight for that promotion at work by putting down our competitors. We work hard to get the money to buy the fast car to impress the prettiest girl or the clothes to impress the most handsome guy. Natural selection is totally unnatural now, yet is still as strong as it was when our species began.
    Added to survival is the urge to breathe, drink water, eat, and stay warm. Try holding your breath to die. You can't. You might be able to die of thirst or starvation, but try that with food and water in front of you. It can be done, but nature wants you to live.
    So there is nature breathing down your neck, genetically urging you to live. Yet you live in a strange world made artificial by your fellow man. It all seems so meaningless. Work is no longer a garden and some animals and a passel of kids to help. Your kids feel even more angst, ennui, and lack of meaning, with parents who are wondering why they had them when all they do is suck money out of them and act like brats. So man keeps looking for meaning.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Family Friendship Happiness the key to life [ 1 Answers ]

Family Friendship Happiness the key to life

Life - Happiness [ 2 Answers ]

Will I at some point in my life find happiness

What's your purpose in life [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know their purpose in life?

Happiness wit one's life. [ 8 Answers ]

Are you happy with your life ?

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness, right? [ 14 Answers ]

Ok, the bail out bill has my panties in a twist so to speak. I'm 37. I work part time. I have two children. My husband and I work. We work allot. We sacrifice. The "experts" say the 7 billion dollar bail out plan is necessary or there will be a "credit crisis". This leaves me confused. "Credit...

View more questions Search