Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moon_shadow Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2013, 06:58 PM
    1990 Ford F150 not getting voltage to solenoid (wont start)
    Hello:

I have a f150 4.9 automatic.

When I attempt to start the truck, nothing happens, it will not turn over. When I turn the ignition to run, the dash lights come on as they usually do, when I turn it to "start", it acts as though it is sending a signal to start. (the dash lights change, radio flashes, etc) yet the starter will not engage.

I put the selector in neutral, and still nothing. The only way I can get the truck to start is to turn the switch on, go under the hood, and connect an alligator clip to the coil post on the solenoid coil (not the two main contacts), and touch the positive on the battery, then it fires right up and runs fine.

Because the dash lights change when the switch is in the "start" position, I'm of the thought that it's not the switch itself. I'm wondering if it may be the park/neutral switch, but I am puzzled because I thought they were two separate switches, where is, if it wouldn't start in park, it might still start in neutral.

If it is this switch, where is it located? Is it on the steering column, or near the transmission?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2013, 07:13 PM
    Here's the rule:

In order to check the solenoid, put the transmission in Park and remove the push-on connector from the solenoid “S” terminal. Connect a jumper lead (12 AWG), or preferably a remote starter switch, between the positive battery terminal and the exposed “S” terminal on the solenoid. If the starter motor now operates, the solenoid is fine and the problem is with the ignition switch, neutral start switch, or wiring. If the starter motor still does not operate, replace the solenoid.

Feb 12, 2013, 08:25 PM
    That's pretty much what I did with the alligator clip (attached one side to the S terminal, and touched the other to the positive battery post, it turned over and started), and that's how I'm starting the truck for now...

Now I'm just trying to locate the park switch so I can test it.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2013, 08:29 PM
    Look for the Transmission Range Sensor (TRS).

Feb 12, 2013, 08:36 PM
    Thanks, I'll check it out tomorrow if it's not to wet outside and report back. I'm betting it has something to do with that, because if I attempt to start my other car in gear it exhibits the same symptom.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ask a mechanic about 94 ford f150 that won't start for free [ 1 Answers ]

I also have a 94 that won't start I changed the coil and the I c m could it be the distributer all was original can any one help not firing

1995 ford f150 won't start [ 1 Answers ]

All the bells and whistles come on then it clicks and nothing.

My 1988 ford f150 starts but won't stay running [ 1 Answers ]

Hi,my 1988 ford f150 6 cylinder starts runs but after a minute or two it stalls out.truck is sitting I try to start it up weekly but fail sometimes. I put gas treatment.but is seems that it got worse.HELP... THANK YOU.

88 Ford F150 won't Start! [ 4 Answers ]

:( Me again... this is what has been done so far: 88 Ford F150 yard plow trick. 5.0. The battery has been dying so we put a new one in.. truck ran fine plowed the yard. Went out next morning battery is dead. Took the battery in to the shop had it charged. Truck started up, ran a few seconds died...

Need to find the location of the voltage regulator on a 89 ford f150 [ 1 Answers ]

Need to find info on the location of the voltage regulator on a 1989 ford f150 truck Preferably a diagram but any info at all will help, I have the new part cannot locate it under the hood. Bought a new battery yesterday morning, drove 45 minutes to work... all fine, drove home the same amount...

View more questions Search