Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikkilynn22 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2013, 05:15 PM
    Are these breast changes due to pregnancy?
    Today, and I'm not for sure but, my breasts seem a tiny bit larger and the nipples are tender. They don't point out most of the time though. I also noticed today that the area surrounding the nipples have been bumpy or wrinkled... badly... That was a few hours ago. I went to check them again just now and they are no longer bumpy or wrinkled... But the tenderness is still there and they still seem a tiny, tiny bit bigger... I have also been having a loss of appetite, and sometimes feel bloated after eating, pressure down low, sometimes just on the left side, and for some reason I catch myself talking to my stomach as if something is in there... Am I pregnant? Or are these signs of pregnancy? Please please help...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 11, 2013, 05:19 PM
    Not necessarily. They are also products of an overactive imagination.

Do you think you are pregnant? Why?

Feb 11, 2013, 05:25 PM
    Yes... I do think I am pregnant... I took plan be but I still ovulated because I had the white discharge... So I don't think the pill worked. My nurse thought the same and also said there was a chance I could be pregnant... I've thought I was pregnant before but I never had these symptoms before...
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 11, 2013, 05:39 PM
    Well, you are going to have to wait until you miss a period, and then take a test two weeks later with first morning's urine.

Feb 11, 2013, 05:43 PM
    2 weeks after the missed period?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 11, 2013, 05:54 PM
    Yes. Two weeks after you miss. There usually aren't body changes this early in a pregnancy.

Feb 11, 2013, 06:02 PM
    I thought so too but I have no other way of explaining it... These symptoms have never happened before
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 11, 2013, 06:04 PM
    Your body changes because of the weather, the barometric pressure, the humidity, your food intake, how much sleep you get, what germs it is fighting off, and for so many other reasons. Just be patient. Do you WANT to be pregnant?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 11, 2013, 06:14 PM
    Pregnancy can't be diagnosed by symptoms, because pregnancy symptoms can also be attributed to so many other things, PMS, the flu, etc. etc.

Could you be pregnant? Yes. Are you? There's no way to find the answer to that online. You'll have to wait and test. Test when your period is 2 weeks late using first morning urine. If that test is negative then wait until your next period is due. If you skip it, test again with first morning urine, or get a blood test.

Since you did take Plan B, your periods won't be reliable for a while. And the symptoms you're feeling can also be attributed to taking the Plan B.

Good luck.

Feb 11, 2013, 06:14 PM
    I'm sorry, just not knowing is frustrating for me. Want to be? I'm not sure... Every other time it was always a heck no... And I really thought this time I would not be pregnant because I took plan b... But when I started having strange feelings and a couple symptoms that's when I started doubting that feeling. At this point, I find myself accepting it as if I am for sure pregnant... Which I find very odd because that's just not me...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 11, 2013, 06:22 PM
    Plan B only works if taken within 72 hours of sex. And it is less effective the longer you wait. So if you take it 50 hours after sex it is not as effective as if taken 4 hours after sex.
    If you took plan B latter than 72 hours after sex, it will have little effect,

There are and often are side effects to Plan B, I am sure the nurse covered those with you. It is possilbe to miss the next period because of medication or even get cycles off for a couple months, plus many other possible side effects.

But you will have to wait till the period is due, and then wait another two weeks to test.

There are normally no signs of pregnancy before the missed period. Plan B can cause many of the same signs of pregnancy and often confused

Feb 11, 2013, 06:23 PM
    Thank you Alty. Though I'm not sure plan be even worked because I did ovulate and its supposed to prevent you from doing so. I was also told the pill only lasts about 3 days in your system and I felt fine afterward... I'm just very confused and hoping time flies by so I will know :)
    Pets Expert

Feb 11, 2013, 06:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkilynn22 View Post
    I'm sorry, just not knowing is frustrating for me. Want to be? I'm not sure... Every other time it was always a heck no... And I really thought this time I would not be pregnant bc I took plan b... But when I started having strange feelings and a couple symptoms that's when I started doubting that feeling. At this point, I find myself accepting it as if I am for sure pregnant... Which I find very odd bc that's just not me...
    It's very frustrating. Some women don't get a reliable result from a pregnancy test until well into their second trimester. Sadly, waiting is all you, or anyone, can do. The only way to verify pregnancy is through a urine test, a blood test, or an ultrasound in later pregnancy. Anything else is a guess.

For now, start taking prenatal vitamins, and treat yourself as if you're pregnant (no drinking, smoking, etc), and then wait and see if your feelings are confirmed.

I wish you the best of luck. :)

Feb 11, 2013, 06:26 PM
    Fr_Chuck, yes I took it about 13 hours or so after having sex. The nurse did not explain that the symptoms I am having could be because of the pill... In fact she told me there was a good chance I could be pregnant... And now this breast issue came up and confused me and I couldn't find much about it online...

Feb 11, 2013, 06:29 PM
    Thanks Alty. I do not smoke or anything like that. The worst thing I've been doing is eating only once a day because of the loss of appetite... Also my temp has been over 98 for 7 days now and I usually run 95 or 96... The nurse said if I have 18 days straight with an elevated temp I am pregnant...
    Pets Expert

Feb 11, 2013, 06:44 PM
    Thanks Alty. I do not smoke or anything like that. The worst thing I've been doing is eating only once a day bc of the loss of appetite... Also my temp has been over 98 for 7 days now and I usually run 95 or 96... The nurse said if I have 18 days straight with an elevated temp I am pregnant...
    The nurse is wrong. Wow, I can't believe a nurse would say that to you. There's no way, absolutely none, to diagnose pregnancy by symptoms or a temperature. You could have a cold, or the flu, or some other illness, which is the reason for your slight temperature rise. That nurse needs to go back to school.

Could you be pregnant? Of course you could. No form of birth control is 100%, and Plan B is a form of birth control. It's possible. But until you have a positive urine test, or a positive blood test, or the fetus is seen on ultrasound, there is no symptom that will tell you if you're pregnant. The only symptoms that will tell you anything, is a period, and that's a sure sign that you're not pregnant.

Sorry, but the nurse is not at all right.

Feb 11, 2013, 06:53 PM
    Wow... See, I was also told plan b was NOT a form of birth control and should never be taken as such. That it was just to keep you from ovulating so that the egg did not become fertilized. I've had a couple more symptoms to add to the list but I was never told plan b could do that. The nurse also said if I was a week late to come in for a blood test... I'm not sure what to do now.
    Pets Expert

Feb 11, 2013, 06:57 PM
    Wow... See, I was also told plan b was NOT a form of birth control and should never be taken as such. That it was just to keep you from ovulating so that the egg did not become fertilized. I've had a couple more symptoms to add to the list but I was never told plan b could do that. The nurse also said if I was a week late to come in for a blood test... I'm not sure what to do now.
    Plan B is a form of birth control. It's not a form of birth control that should be used on a regular basis, it's for emergencies only, ie: the condom broke, you forgot to take your pill, you missed your shot etc.

The plan B does the following:

Temporarily stops the release of an egg from the ovary
    Prevents fertilization
    Prevents a fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus

Like any other form of birth control, it's not 100% effective, even if used correctly.

The plan B can make you skip a period, it can also make you get back to back periods that can last longer than normal. You should have gotten a pamphlet explaining the side effects when you bought the pill.

Have you missed a period yet?

Feb 11, 2013, 07:05 PM
    I see... No, I have not missed one yet. It's coming up shortly though... I just really feel like I am sometimes and then other times I feel like I'm not but yet this time... I've accepted it as if I really am... It sounds crazy I know but everything about this time has me totally wondering if I am and even hoping I am... And that's not me at all... I've always been scared of getting pregnant and saying heck no and now... It's like I've totally accepted it.
    Pets Expert

Feb 11, 2013, 08:25 PM
    Well, I would wait until you miss a period, wait at least 2 weeks, and then test using first morning urine. But realize that your situation is unusual in one way. You took the plan B, which can throw off your period. So a missed period after the plan B, is not necessarily indicative of pregnancy. It could just be a side effect of the pill.

So test in 2 weeks if you don't get your period, and if it's positive, you'll know. If it's negative then wait until your next period is due, and test again if you miss it, or get a blood test.

That's really your only option.

Good luck. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnancy due dates [ 2 Answers ]

So my last perod was October 9 and I went to the doctors to confirm my pregnancy and let me know how many weeks I am, and they tell me my due date is August 17 and that I'm 29 weeks pregnant. If I really am due on August I would be pregnant for 10 months. I also go to different websites to check...

Can breast tenderness, and frequent unrination be caused by only pregnancy? [ 35 Answers ]

I have had breast tenderness, for about 5 days, and have had frequent urination for about 7 days now. I ovulated a little over a week ago, and had my last period sept 30, 2009. Is it possible I am pregnant already, and having symptoms. Or is there another reason for this?

How can I produce breast milk without pregnancy? [ 1 Answers ]

How can I produce breast milk without getting pregnant? Because we have plan to adopt a little 2-3 month baby & I want to feed her with my own breast. Can u Pl.tell me is there any medication is available for that in the market? Pl.reply me at the earliest. Thanking you, JIGNESH SHAH

Pregnancy & Breast Implants [ 2 Answers ]

I have breast implants and I was wondering if having implants would cause me not to feel the soreness or tenderness in my breast if I am pregnant? My implants a fairly new so they are still a bit tender. Also, if Iam pregnant does that effect breastfeeding?

View more questions Search