Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamesdavino Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2013, 04:15 PM
    6" round columns
    Do they make an old work box or just a contoured receptacle plate for a round column( 6" ) in this case? A customer wants one installed in his new column. To my knowledge, no one has this type of plate that would make the install look flush without the gaps. Has anyone out there ever seen this done and have it look professional looking? Help me out here guys!! Thank's
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2013, 06:39 PM
    Concrete, Wood, Inside, Outside?
    Can you provide a Photo, have a couple of ideas.
    Is the box already in concrete and is the surface of the box flat? just use a bubble cover for outdoor use, May have to remove concrete and/or use an Extension?

Feb 12, 2013, 05:03 PM
    Strat, thanks for responding, its an approx. 8" dia. Wood column and it's hollow and its an inside decorative column only. I know I can get everything into it, the only thing that concerns me is the plate. I will not accept anything but perfection when I do something. If the plate doesn't conform to the curve in the column, it won't be installed. Does anyone make a contoured plate for this type of application?? Thanks Strat..
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2013, 05:50 AM
    I would recess the plate and box, so it sits flat. If you were too look down at the column from above, you would not see the Box/recepticle/plate.
    Wood makes it easy.
    A Multi-tool would work perfect for this.
    Don't forget any computer, phone or other wiring needing to get into the column.

Feb 13, 2013, 07:01 AM
    Thanks Strat, Apparently that's my only option. Elect. Only, No other wiring needs for this app.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 13, 2013, 07:46 AM
    I will not accept anything but perfection when I do something.
    Perfection can be very costly. Is your client rich and willing to pay? Are you willing to contribute the time and effort to achieve perfection?

Get an unpainted metal cover plate. Using a hacksaw make a series of cuts in the top and bottom flanges. Start by making one in the center and then one in between the center cut the edge. In other words make a cut at 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 of the way along the width. See if the plate will then bent to the requires radius. If not, make additional cuts in between the existing cuts.

Make a wooden disk out of 3/4 plywood, the same diameter as the column or slightly smaller. Making it slightly smaller will accommodate the spring back of bending the metal plate.

Clamp the plate to the wooden disk with a band clamp. Make notches in the disk to accommodate the flanges on the side of the cover plate. Clamp near the top to close up the cuts in the top flange. Solder the top flange to fill in the gaps of the cuts. Repeat for bottom flange.

Test fit the outlet. You may have the file sides of the openings for the outlet since they will tend to close up slightly due to the bending.

File and sand the solder smooth. This should not be difficult since solder sands easily.

Powder coat the cover plate with the required color for a hard, durable, professional appearance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are flat and round characters in "the outcast of poker flats" [ 4 Answers ]

What are flat and round characters in "the outcast of poker flats"

Cambridge Glass "Round" Pattern in Lt. Emerald? [ 1 Answers ]

I believe this is the name of these pieces I have had for about 65 years but I can not find any information to see if I am correct. Nor can I find an approximate value. Both the Cream Soup Bowl and the underplate have the "C" in a triangle. The pieces are in excellent condition. Thank you.

From 3 columns of data creating a 4th column with the most recent columns data [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help with an excel query I have... I have 3 columns of information and want to summarise the most recent information in to a 4th column. i.e. the most up to date information. If the most recent column is blank use the information from the 2nd most recent...

Need a ROUND 14" rough toilet that is 16' high. [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in an old house. Need a ROUND 14" rough toilet that is 16' high. Thanks, aow

View more questions Search