Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amberlou Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Feb 11, 2013, 04:06 PM
    How long should you wait between relationships?
    I know people say there should be a period of alone time between each relationship rather than diving straight back in but I know a lot of people do or relationships over lap. What are your opinions? How long should you give roughly (obviously I know it alters personally but... )
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2013, 04:24 PM
    Personally, I don't think relationships should overlap unless there is an understanding that you can date other people. I think to maintain our self-confidence and esteem it's best to end one relationship before starting another. This is not hard to do - if you meet someone and want to date them, you end your existing relationship and then pursue the new person.

How long you take between kind of depends on your circumstances. If you are still pining for the other person, it's good to take some time to process that and get over it so you don't use the next person as a "rebound" situation. If you are not really hurt by ending the prior relationship and feel you understand why it ended and what you want moving forward, you may not need a break at all.

The important thing is that you learn from your relationships so you don't repeat mistakes - either things you do wrong, or chronically picking the wrong person. Some people chronically pick good people and manage relationships well, so they don't really need breaks so much. Others may have jealousy, cheating or anger issues, or may repeatedly choose the wrong girl or guy. A prime example are women who chronically choose abusive men, or guys who continually pick women who treat them badly.

I also think there is value in knowing that you can be alone and be fine. When you have this confidence, you do not cling to relationships for fear of being alone. You rather choose relationships that add to your life. It can also keep you from being too needy in a relationship when you know you're fine on your own. With this knowledge, I think people are more fun as partners and more independent, so they are less likely to suffocate and drain the life and energy out of their partners.
    Jiser Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 281
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2013, 04:28 PM
    What the person above said is good.

I think its key to be able to be happy alone without a relationship to make you. You should have an active social life and hobbies / career which take up your time without a relationship taking these away from you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How long is too long to wait for a proposal? [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been dating for 5 years and have been living together since around or 6 month mark. To keep a long story short we've talked about marriage and children extensively. He is not concerned about having kids before marriage and even welcomes it. I will not have children...

How long do I have to wait? [ 3 Answers ]

Had a miscarrage 2 weeks ago, how long do I have to wait before I start trying to become pregnant again... I can still see a little bit of dark brown when I wipe.. is it safe to start having sex again or should I wait for another few weeks.

How long should I wait? [ 2 Answers ]

me and my partner have been trying for a baby for nearly six months now.My ovulation date for this month was the 20th July ( if worked out right I used an ovulation calendar to help me) we had sex the 19th 20th 21st 23rd and 25th was these the right dates and what are my chances or conceiving this...

Is it too long to wait? [ 2 Answers ]

I met Nicholas on the internet, and we dated for two years. We only met, but I swear to god, those days we spent together were perfect beyond words. We are so compatible with each other, and we both love each other deeply. We were best friends, and we talked all the time. We were very happy, but...

How long should I wait? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have been trying to conceive since sept and have been tracking my cycles. My cycle sept - oct was 26 days, Oct - Nov was 29 days, and I have not gotten my period this month yet. Today is the 33rd day, and still no sign of my period. I took a hpt Sunday and it was negative, and an...

View more questions Search