Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lancelkraft Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2013, 02:14 PM
    Harley Davidson Troubleshooting
    I recently purchased 1996 HD Fatboy FLSTF with the EVO 1340 engine. This bike had been stored for approximately 5 years. On the initial startup, after dropping old gas and replacing with new, the bike fired right up and sounded as it should but was dripping/leaking gas and oil from the air cleaner housing. Also was emitting white cloud of smoke from exhaust pipe. Please troubleshoot for me and thanks.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 11, 2013, 02:28 PM
    You have crap in the carb and now it needs to be rebuilt to clean it out. This happens when they sit for extended periods with fuel in them.
    lancelkraft Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2013, 10:33 PM
    Thank you odinn7. This being my 1st harley, I didn't think of that, but it makes plenty of sense. Im now going to research on line for some instruction on how to do the carb. Rebuild myself. Also going to ask if its recommended to have tank cleaned and fuel lines replaced. Do you have an opinion there?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 11, 2013, 10:40 PM
    As much as I like to make jokes about Harleys to my HD friends, the problem you are experiencing can and does happen to all bikes if they are left sitting with gas in them. The gas goes bad and gels up in the carb and leaves deposits that get in the needles and jets.

To be honest, it's not an impossible job but if you aren't much good with mechanical work, you are better off paying to have it done. Just be warned... I don't know your level of experience but you may want to think about it and consider if it's worth trying.

I know some people like to clean the tank and all but I would just take it off and dump it out then inspect the inside. If there is no flaking or rust, I wouldn't go any further with it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Harley davidson troubleshooting [ 0 Answers ]

A friend of mine has a 1200 sportster and said that her battery drains down and had the battery checked and it was good. When she re-installed the battery she noticed that there was an ark, so that tells me that something is draining the battery when it is not on. Any leads??

Harley davidson troubleshooting [ 0 Answers ]

Hi,I own a 1997 DYNA 1340 FXDS just recently the plug on my regulator became faulty and needs replacing .I know I can buy a replacement wiring loom but which wattage do I need to purchase ? Any help would be much appreciated!!

Troubleshooting harley davidson [ 1 Answers ]

Roadking harley seems to sway at highway speeds when it rides over bumps in the road

Harley davidson troubleshooting? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1993 evo motor making a loud tapping noise when engine is warmed up, no performance loss or smoke

Harley davidson troubleshooting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1989 Harley Soft-tail custom 1340. When out on the road running, it coughs back through the carburetor and pops through the exhaust. I don't know if it's a shorted wire somewhere, a valve or the jets in the carb wrong. It has a Keihen Carb. On it and Samson street sweeper pipes on it. ...

View more questions Search