Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lucyshmucy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2013, 09:28 AM
    Statistics
    At a certain university, 20% of the students major in business. Of the business majors, 50% are males. Of all students at the university, 60% are males. If a student is selected at random from this university, what is the probability that this student:

(a) is a male majoring in business?

(b) is either a male or a business major?

(c) is a female not majoring in business?

(d) is a business major if the student is female?

(e) is a male if the student is not a business major?
    Can someone please show the work at least in on of the questions? Your help and time is greatly appreciated!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2013, 10:17 AM
    Here's how it works on AMHD - you post your answers, how you got there, someone comes along and lets you know if you're right or wrong... and why.
    BBRIDBART Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Feb 12, 2013, 11:53 AM
    (a) is a male majoring in business? 10

(b) is either a male or a business major? 90

(c) is a female not majoring in business? 80

(d) is a business major if the student is female? 10

(e) is a male if the student is not a business major? 60
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Feb 13, 2013, 01:36 PM
    Multiple Choice: BBRIDBART disregarded AMHD's homework assistance rules, and in the process of furnishing answers, got how many right?

(a) 20%
    (b) 20%
    (c) 20%
    (d) 20%
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 13, 2013, 01:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcSine View Post
    Multiple Choice: BBRIDBART disregarded AMHD's homework assistance rules, and in the process of furnishing answers, got how many right?

(a) 20%
    (b) 20%
    (c) 20%
    (d) 20%
    LMAO... that's nice.
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2013, 01:48 PM
    ArcSine, I'm on the floor!

Brilliant - and a greenie!
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Feb 13, 2013, 03:30 PM
    'preciated indeed!
    Lucyshmucy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2013, 05:54 AM
    Thank you BBRIDBART! My question is how did you get the answers? What formula did you use c) and d) ? I was using the following:
    for c) P(Fn not B)= P(F)-P(FnB) is that correct?
    Entomology Expert

Feb 14, 2013, 07:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucyshmucy View Post
    Thank you BBRIDBART! My question is how did you get the answers? What formula did you use c) and d) ? I was using the following:
    for c) P(Fn not B)= P(F)-P(FnB) is that correct?
    Did you not see the other answers? He got one right... just one. So use those answers and be proud of them.
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2013, 09:42 AM
    I don't which is most amusing, going against AMHD policy, going against policy and posting the wrong answers, having someone tell "you" that you are against policy and posted the wrong answers OR having the OP read the thread and think the incorrect answers are correct.

- And now a few words about the standard of education in the US. Apparently students can't do math and science homework and/or understand the written word.
    Entomology Expert

Feb 14, 2013, 09:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I don't which is most amusing, going against AMHD policy, going against policy and posting the wrong answers, having someone tell "you" that you are against policy and posted the wrong answers OR having the OP read the thread and think the incorrect answers are correct.
    Really... I thought the comment about them being wrong was as good as it would get. When I saw the OP thanking this guy for the answers... the wrong answers... I could hardly contain myself!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statistics help [ 0 Answers ]

Question # 1 In a city in Italy, 30% of the families have a MasterCard, 20% have an American Express card, and 25% have a Visa card. Eight percent of families have both a MasterCard and an American Express card. Twelve percent have both a Visa Card and a MasterCard. Six percent have both an...

Statistics help please! [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I am doing a project on count data using SPSS software. I have analysed the number of calls to a call centre over a 18 month period. It is clear that January shows the highest number of calls. I applied the one way anova test and it showed that there was a significant difference between...

Statistics [ 0 Answers ]

normal distribution, t distribution, x^2 distribution, F distribution, F test and X^2 test 1. standard distribution used when variable is known 2. family of distribution used for small sample sizes less than N=30 3. test used for ratio of variance of 2 normally distributed population 4. changes...

Statistics [ 0 Answers ]

Bring to mind a real-world situation or problem that could be addressed using a one-way analysis of variance (ANOVA). The real-world situation or problem you selected to address, the independent and dependent variables you would study and the number of levels of the independent variable, the...

Statistics [ 1 Answers ]

First let me say I am not a student asking for homework help. I have been perusing a old book of mine 'Introduction to the Theory of Statistics' (Mood 1950) and have come across the following problem at the end of one of the chapters. It is stated exactly as follows:"Suppose intelligence quotients...

View more questions Search