Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Steph16 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2005, 05:58 PM
    Bipolar?
    My boyfriend has bipolar and I'd appreciate some adivce on how to handle it. Lately he has been very emotional. One minute he is happy and the next he is sad. I worry that I cause this emotional roller coaster and I wish that I could help... He has a hard time getting out his emotions and sharing them with me. I'm staying very patient, but he also has a tendency to apologize for everything. Even if I'm not upset. What can I do to ease the relationship, I'd love to stay with him. I am happy!
    WhenWillIBeLoved Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Feb 13, 2005, 11:02 PM
    Coping with Bipolar
    My boyfriend has bipolar and I'd appreciate some adivce on how to handle it. Lately he has been very emotional. One minute he is happy and the next he is sad. I worry that I cause this emotional roller coaster and I wish that I could help... He has a hard time getting out his emotions and sharing them with me. I'm staying very patient, but he also has a tendency to apologize for everything. Even if I'm not upset. What can I do to ease the relationship, I'd love to stay with him. I am happy!
    Bipolar, or manic depression, is a mental illness. A person with this illness needs to focus on controlling the illness through treatment rather than letting the illness control them. Accepting the need for long-term for daily medication and ongoing psychiatric care is essential to maintaining a good quality of life. This type of mental illness involves a disorder of mood, in which one goes from mania, feeling extremely energized and irritable, to feeling hopeless, extremely depressed, with periods of normal mood in between.

During the manic or high mood, increased energy and activity, decreased sleep, euphoria, rapid and excessive speech, racing thoughts, restlessness and irritability are frequently observed. There can also be unrealistic beliefs in one's personal ability, reckless behavior, excessive spending, and in severe cases, hallucinations. The manic state can feel pleasurable and productive, but sometimes involves lapses of good judgment and dangerous behavior, as well as relationship and family conflicts.

The depressed phase is sometimes likened to major depression. Symptoms include feeling sad, depressed, anxious, empty, hopeless and worthless. Suicidal thoughts are sometimes present; these require emergency psychiatric care. Additional signs are feelings of guilt, loss of interest in usual activities, poor concentration, sleep problems, low energy level and changes in appetite.

Treatment usually includes mood stabilizing medications, monitored by a psychiatrist and counseling. It is essential that the patient learn about the medications prescribed and possible side affects. A reliable way to take the medications properly needs to be set up. Taking these daily, even when the patient feels stable, is critical to preventing relapse and controlling this illness. Consistent monitoring of mood by the patient, family, and close friends is also essential in preventing acute episodes and possible hospitalization. Sleep pattern, behavior, and appetite need to be closely monitored as well. Avoiding alcohol, marijuana, and other drugs, which can worsen symptoms, is essential. A healthy lifestyle with a balanced diet, regular exercise, adequate sleep and an effort to minimize stress will help the person with bipolar disorder control the illness and improve his quality of life.

Your guy needs a support system. Be there for him. Educate yourself on this illness, too. Best wishes to you and yours.

National Depressive and Manic Depressive Association
    National Institute of Mental Health
    Thorp Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2005, 12:00 AM
    Seaweed Extract Helps Bipolar
    I was introduced to Original Limu two years ago. I thought it was just another thing to try and probably a waste of money.

When I started taking it, nothing seemed to happen. I thought about moving on to something else but was in awe of the change in a friend who would drive people batty because of her bipolar condition. She and her husband were no longer at each other throats. She was functioning and functioning well. She was dealing with people effectively. She was focused and could stay on track.

I was so amazed that I kept taking the Limu hoping to get my energy back after neck surgery, a response many were getting. But no such luck for me. Still, I kept taking it and finally decided to follow suggestions for doubling the usual dosage. It started slow, hardly detectable. I even wrote it off as just a brief reprieve. But, after ten weeks or so, I checked the throbbing pain in my right arm for which the surgery was unsuccessful ($50,000 down the tube) to find out unexpectedly that it was completely gone. I tried an experiment, my being a Ph.D. organic chemist, a year later going without the Original Limu. After the first week, no detectable change. The second week brought on sinus and flaky skin problems. What I thought was a phantom pain started returning the third week. I started back up on the Original Limu then as the sinus and skin problems were really getting out of hand. The pain in my arm just kept getting worse and worse and then I noted after about ten weeks that is was gone again. I will never do that experiment again if I can help it.

But, the thing that kept me going until I saw the life-changing effects of Original Limu was seeing the life-changing effect it had on my friend with the bipolar condition.

The same Original Limu has been reported by many not only to have dramatically improved their blood pressure but also their blood cholesterol, blood sugar and blood thickness. It also is a terrific skin rejuvenator and helps clear up acne. People with autoimmune disseases like MS, lupus, fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, etc. are reporting outstanding results with Original Limu. Other reports regarding Original Limu come regarding asthma, allergies, sinusitis, depression, ADD and ADHD, arthritis and pain in general, migraines, thyroid problems, etc. More is written under the posting Hypertension.

I would love to help you get a new lease on life. Let me help you at www.limunight.originallimu.com or [email protected] or 979-297-1919. Be blessed.
    mike145k Posts: 123, Reputation: -1
    -

Jun 28, 2005, 02:13 PM
    Tough job
    Having a bipolar friend is a tough job all I can say is that if you can't handle it then leave cause these people are nothing but trouble and if you care about them you are going to have your heart and head torn into pieces,do the right thing for yourself and find a normal man.
    serialwife Posts: 117, Reputation: 16

Jun 29, 2005, 06:43 PM
    Okay so your boyfriend is bipolar. Educate yourself and help get him on a schedule. Getting everything in cycle helps a lot of people with bipolar disorder. If they get a rountine going taking meds is second nature, usually bipolar people are great people if they are on their meds. Sometimes they have to be adjusted, prepare for major ups and downs. There are a lot of support groups out there for significant others of bipolar individuals if you need info let me know I know we have flyers at my office.
    Yeah we should give up now have our tubes tied live in a glass box and throw stones at the ones who dare to have varying opinions. Right Mike!! People in general are worth an effort. There are reasons for the way people act we have to be accepting of others.
    sandie1208 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2006, 03:15 PM
    I am bi polar. The best thing that I have found is Serequel. I was just like him. I thought everyone was against me and needed reassurance all the time that people still loved me. I went to counseling and received medication. The effect that Serequel has on me is like: My moods were like roller coasters(thats what my boyfriend said) high highs and low lows. Serquel made my mountains into mole hills. It stablizes my moods. It works for me.
    ninedeezgirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2007, 09:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sandie1208
    I am bi polar. The best thing that I have found is Serequel. I was just like him. I thought everyone was against me and needed reassurance all the time that people still loved me. I went to counseling and received medication. The effect that Serequel has on me is like: My moods were like roller coasters(thats what my boyfriend said) high highs and low lows. Serquel made my mountains into mole hills. It stablizes my moods. It works for me.
    So it doesn't make you feel like a zombie? I've heard a lot of people don't want to take anything bcause it makes them feel like zombies... like they've lost who they are...
    Thorp Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2007, 11:04 AM
    Feeling like a Zombie or such arises from medications. Medications address symptoms and generally have toxic side-effects.

As strange as it may seem, nutrition plays a huge role on any issue of the body. Nutrition addresses the underlying causes for problems of the body whereas medication merely treats a symptom.

If the body is fed good nutrition, it performs remarkably well. Just try eating popcorn only for a month and see how you feel or even a fast food hamburger only everyday even or especially with French fries.

The seaweed extract of which I spoke earlier provides all the minerals and trace elements of the inexhaustible oceans along with vitamins, amino acids, essential fatty acids, antioxidants, alginates (helps remove heavy metals) and fucoidan, a key, newly discovered nutrient found only in seaweed and best optimized and made bioavailable in Original Limu.

Again, I would love to help you at [www.limunight.originallimu.com] The Limu Company using my Membership ID of 1388001 or email me at [[email protected]] or phone at 979-297-1919. Be blessed. I just want people to learn more about the desperate state of nutrition in our country and about the amazing benefits a full-spectrum nutritional supplement can do for them. To me, medicine may give instant results for some people but not without dangerous side-effects and the original cause of the problem is left unaddressed. Our society has forgotten the words of Hippocrates, Father of Modern Day Medicine, "Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food."
    Emm Lura Posts: 84, Reputation: 15

Oct 28, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mike145k
    haveing a bipolar friend is a tough job all i can say is that if you can't handle it then leave cause these people are nothing but trouble and if you care about them you are going to have your heart and head torn into pieces,do the right thing for yourself and find a normal man.

Honestly I don't agree with this.

I am bipolar and I don't like to think that I am not normal.
    "These people" as you say can be just as normal as people without bipolar disorder.
    The fact is that too many people don't try to get help for it because they are not depressed all the time and they feel like it will just go away. The fact is that it won't and it will probably just get worse.

We need your support and we need your friendship because without it, life can be very hard and confusing, trust me I know. I have no family to back me up and my fiancé and my few close friends are all that I have to let me know that I am worth being alive.

"Us people" go through so much and I don't wish it on anyone and anyone that can't understand that shouldn't think that we are abnormal. Maybe not being able to be open to help a good friend or a loved one when they really need it makes that person the abnormal one.

Sorry for the harsh words but I feel it was necessary.

I am a normal person and I do deserve all the love and respect that people without bipolar disorder get. Now if the person refuses to get help, that's when you as a friend jump in and make them.
    Emm Lura Posts: 84, Reputation: 15

Oct 29, 2007, 11:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph16

And on a better note you are a brave, brave person for staying with him through this. My fiancé has been there for me and it is so hard on him. I flip from the loving sweet caring person that he proposed to, to the outraged, belittleing, angry, upset person that he's probably afraid of.

These attacks are definitely not fun at all for us because we get so embarrassed and we feel so guilty that we say these things. The fact is that we can't help it. The only thing we can do is try to go and get help.

That is a very hard thing to do as well. I don't know if he has tried yet or not but with my experience, I called many, many, many places after my family doctor refused to help me (totally understandable, he doesn't know much on the disorder and he thought it was just depression. I've been on depression meds before and it didn't do anything. It's commonly misdiagnosed for depression though). I got a little off track, sorry. :rolleyes: Well either the psychiatrists didn't take my insurance, or they did but they were out of state so they couldn't see me. One even said that they were a "low-key psychiatric office" and because I had been admitted to the hospital twice for suicidal attempts years ago that they couldn't see me. This will be a hard and stressfull time as well for him. Just be there to help.

Believe me, even if he doesn't seem like it, he really needs it. I don't know what it would be like for me if I didn't have Ryan being so helpful and patient with me but I can almost garuantee I probably wouldn't be alive right now.

Just remember darlin, we are normal people, but we just have a few little special needs. ;) And again I can't thank you enough for being there for him. :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Schizophrenia... bipolar? [ 10 Answers ]

Before I go and get myself labelled as schizophrenic or bipolar or whatever, I wanted to have some idea what this sounds like to others... maybe I should just keep this to myself and suffer in silence. I was diagnosed with a dissociative disorder but recently realized that I have been having some...

Suicidal Bipolar Boyfriend [ 18 Answers ]

I would really appreciate anyone's advice, especially if they have been through something similar. I have been dating my boyfriend off and on, mostly on for the past three years. He's grown increasingly more violent towards me. He never beats me up or anything but I'm definitely frightened by...

Seeking to adopt,have bipolar disorder [ 5 Answers ]

Hi am single and looking to adopt.I am having trouble finding an agency to work with me.Does anyone have any recommendations or resources in the south Florida area?Can't people with bipolar disorder adopt?

Help for bipolar 6-year-old [ 3 Answers ]

My girlfriend has a 6 year old who has been diagnosed as bipolar. He goes monthly to a psychiatrist who writes a prescription for zyprexa, and haldol and that's all. She works full time but medical insurance is extra for her kids and she can't afford it. She seems to be getting the runaround...

Bipolar [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend that I have been seeing for quite some time now has recently told me that he is in fact bipolar. I did some research online to find out more about it, since I knew very little to begin with. It can be, and is a very serious illness that needs to be dealt with in some form or another....

View more questions Search