Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jaguar2013 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2013, 11:07 AM
    International student tax
    Hi, is it possible to know how much refund I could get after getting about 30 thousand dollars on my 1098-T form.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 9, 2013, 12:59 PM
    NOTHING, because, as an international student, you are a non-resident alien, and non-resident aliens are NOT eligible to claim ANY of the education credits.

Sorry.

Feb 9, 2013, 01:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    NOTHING, because, as an international student, you are a non-resident alien, and non-resident aliens are NOT eligible to claim ANY of the education credits.

Sorry.
    I also have a job on campus where I receive about 500 dollars monthly. Am I ineligible to get any refunds on that also?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 9, 2013, 01:09 PM
    Possibly, depending on how much was withheld. But the money paid under the Form 1098-T is not even factored into the calculations.

Feb 9, 2013, 01:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    Possibly, depending on how much was withheld. But the money paid under the Form 1098-T is not even factored into the calculations.
    okay. Thanks a lot.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 9, 2013, 01:27 PM
    Glad to help; wish I had better news for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

International F1 student and Turbo tax [ 1 Answers ]

I am a international f1 student. I have filed my taxes through turbotax.com, I had got 300 $ tax return which was only for american citizens.turbo-tax does allow you to put your nationality but I think what I did was wrong. If so is there anything I can do to make it right, pay some fines or sth?...

Turbo tax international student? [ 4 Answers ]

As a international student I filed through turbo tax. This is my first time I tax filing in US. I got federal refund for education purpose which I am not supposed to get. I learnt that to amend the tax return, I have to sent these docs (1040NR, 8843 and 1040X form) to Austin. But how do I exactly...

International Student (f1) Tax Return? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm an international student (f1) in New Jersey and I have been in the US for 2 years. I worked on campus in 2010. I understand that I need to file 1040NR EZ & 8843 form. Are there any other forms that I need to file?

1099 Tax International Student [ 1 Answers ]

I am an international student. I have a W2 from 2 employers and a 1099 Misc. from another employer. I qualify as a non-resident alien. The following is my question. On the 1099, it doesn't pay me as wages, but as self-employment compensation. What is the state and federal tax that I would incur...

Tax query International student, bank income, tax rebate [ 2 Answers ]

1.Came from overseas, previously worked and saved some money, now a student with no employment; income being only the interest from bank. 2.How to pay tax on this since I do not have W-2, no withholding etc. 3. If someone goes back home overseas, now out of status but still has funds in US...

View more questions Search