Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dsorbel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2013, 10:21 AM
    Who wrote this poem
    Do not stand by my grave and weep,
    Iam not there, I did not fall asleep. I'am a thousand winds that blow, I'am the diamond glint upon the snow. I'am the sunlight that shines upon the golden grain, I;am the warmth upon the gentle autumn rain. When you wake in the morning don't look for me, For I'am no longer there and may never be. No longer there nor in sight,As I'am the soft glint of starshine at night. So do not stand by my grave and cry, I'am not there I did not die.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2013, 11:15 AM
    The author is unknown, believe to be Native American.
    grencha Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2013, 11:17 AM
    Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep is a poem written in 1932 by Mary Elizabeth Frye.
    Found this answer by just searching the first line and the answer from Wikipedia. Just curious why you were looking for this answer?
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2013, 11:51 AM
    If you continue reading you will discover that the "fact" that she wrote this is widely disputed because it was published prior to her birth.

I don't know if Wikepedia includes this info but my Bachelors is in English Lit.

It's a common bereavement/burial prayer. That is "probably" why the OP is asking.
    grencha Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2013, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    If you continue reading you will discover that the "fact" that she wrote this is widely disputed because it was published prior to her birth.

I don't know if Wikepedia includes this info but my Bachelors is in English Lit.

It's a common bereavement/burial prayer. That is "probably" why the OP is asking.
    Reply:
    Wow did not notice that just assumed it was accurate,thanks. My interest was because it was used at my Fathers funeral. Did not know it was used that often for that purpose.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 10, 2013, 03:16 PM
    I was aware of the disputed authorship nut thought it have been confirmed around the year 2000 by some newspaper writer
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 10, 2013, 03:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    I was aware of the disputed authorship nut thought it have been confirmed around the year 2000 by some newspaper writer
    Yes, that's in the Wiki article -- "Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep is a poem written in 1932 by Mary Elizabeth Frye. Although the origin of the poem was disputed until later in her life, Mary Frye's authorship was confirmed in 1998 after research by Abigail Van Buren, a newspaper columnist." At the end of the Wiki article, this footnote is especially interesting -- 5. Geoff Stephens. "Who DID Write the Nation's Favourite Poem?" October 2002. Retrieved November 25, 2012. Go to the Wikipedia article and click on that footnote for Stephens' article.
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2013, 06:24 PM
    I don't really trust Abigail Van Whatever's research - but I do trust librarians and so if WG says so I will assume my college professor was wrong.

That's on my Dad's memorial service card with "author unknown".

Why was "Abigail" researching this... and where was that?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 10, 2013, 06:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I don't really trust Abigail Van Whatever's research - but I do trust librarians and so if WG says so I will assume my college professor was wrong.
    I did not say she was right. I said read the 5th footnote and then gave a link to it. It's a .pdf on all the research done about the author.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I would like to know who wrote this poem [ 1 Answers ]

Somewhere there's someone who dreams of your smile, and finds in your presence that life is worth while, so when you are lonely, remember this is true, somebody, somewhere is thinking of you.

Who wrote this poem [ 1 Answers ]

The whole world's singing now that spring has come, I saw a robin in the morning sun Among the pale-green leaves and bursting buds, I heard his talk But it is autumn where we walk. 'Tis true for us the summer too is gone, Now whiplashed winds arise and further on The ice and sleet and...

Who wrote this poem? [ 1 Answers ]

Oh how I miss those days, When every pain was full of grace, & every night I slept alone, & & every day I was so weak, With will of steel, & heart of stone, ... & still that Love was what I seek, But the very Love has come & gone..! Oh how I miss when I was home :((( When God's arms where...

Who wrote this poem [ 1 Answers ]

The best love is the kind that weakens the soul and makes us reach for more. And plants fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds. And that's what you have given me and what I hope to give to you forever.

Who wrote this poem? [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know who wrote this poem:- There's a peaceful place in my heart's domain At a gentling autumn time That I seek when I'm weary,or sad, or in pain When my world has lost it's rhyme

View more questions Search