Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1234321 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2013, 12:49 PM
    Getting deposit back
    A friend of mine rented a room in a house gave a deposit of £600 and the first months rent and stayed there for 8 months paying rent. Gave 2 month notice of moving out. Asked for her deposit back and they said that she had to find someone to move into the room first before she could have her deposit back. So it took a while but she found someone to move in. but they still won't give her the deposit. What can she do as she has no contract as they didn't put her on to the tenecy
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2013, 12:51 PM
    What country would this be as from the terminolgy used you clearly are not in the USA or Canada.

Laws vary... so locations matter.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 8, 2013, 02:27 PM
    I'm assuming UK, but you may need to narrow it down ad landlord tenant laws are generally more local.

Bottom line is your friend may have to go to court to get her deposit back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I get mt deposit back beforesigning lease in 7 days deposit hold? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the state of Georgia I have given 625.00 security deposit for a small house in the stated of Florida but because of my job something happen and I couldn't move just yet I gave the deposit 7 days before signing lease to put it on hold now she don't want to give it back or at lease have of it...

Getting My Deposit Back [ 8 Answers ]

My lease expired 3/31/11 but my landlord let us stay. In June I sent a vacate premises letter to move out in July, but July came and we let the landlord know that we were staying and she accepted the rent for July but told us we had to be out 8/1/11. We surrendered the premises 8/1/11 and did a non...

Getting deposit back [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I recently moved out of a house. Did a move out inspection and everything was great. I was told that I would be getting my deposit within three days. After three days of not hearing from the them. I went to the office ;and I was told that my deposit was giving to the owner of the house and that...

Should I get my deposit back? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I rented a house we moved out in October. We did the final walk through on October 30, 2008, I gave the rental company my fowarding address and both contact numbers. The lady told me we would receive paperwork within 30 days of what we would get back or owe. I have not received any...

Getting my deposit back [ 2 Answers ]

Hello My name is Vicky and I live in Cambridgeshire, England. I am about to give the keys back to a flat I have rented for the last 2 and a half years. I am wondering where I stand with the return of my deposit. I am worried because friends have told me the letting agents I have rented the flat...

View more questions Search