Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gt4play Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2005, 01:53 PM
    1993 Civic EX suddenly stops running and won't re-start
    Hi all,

My girlfriend's Honda Civic (1993 EX model) died within 3 blocks of her workplace the other day. Not being able to troubleshoot the problem in 5 deg weather, I towed it to my house to have a closer look.

The car turns over just fine... the engine is not seized, the starter works fine (therefore it's clear I'm not faced with an alternator/battery problem).

Next was fuel. I popped off the line leading to the fuel rail from the fuel filter. As soon as the car was turned to ON, gas pumped out of that like a fountain. That eliminated a frozen line/faulty pump.

I just stuck an inductive timing light on all spark plug wires and got NOTHING. Now I'm down to the coil or the igniter. Can somebody tell me the next troubleshooting approach to use here? Unfortunately, I don't have a service manual on hand...

Thanks!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2005, 09:00 PM
    If you have a multimeter, check the conductivity of both the primary wiring and the high voltage wiring. If either is open, or the 2 are connected except through ground, the coil is bad.

So what is an igniter? I have never seen the term except here on Honda questions. Do you mean the spark plugs, the ignition module? The coil should be getting pulses of 12 volts from what ever feeds it.
    gt4play Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2005, 09:56 AM
    To be all out honest with you, I don't know the purpose of the igniter outside of the fact that IT is the device delivering the required signals to the coil. Without a service manual, I haven't even been able to locate this thing.

However, I'll have a closer look at the coil and do as you suggest; I do have a multimeter.

So, is it possible that a coil can give out just like that? With no warning whatsoever?

Thanks for your response.

-C
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2005, 08:44 PM
    Sometimes a coil will go thrugh not working when too hot before failing completely, but yes, if a wire burns through inside, it quits then and there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1993 Civic DX Won't Start.. . Need Help! [ 90 Answers ]

1993 Honda Civic DX--122,000 miles Symptoms Engine cranks but will not start. The “Check Engine Light” (MIL) stays on, along with the oil and battery lights. When the service check connector terminals were jumped, the MIL did not indicate any Diagnostic Trouble Codes. You hear the first...

A/C stops running some times [ 3 Answers ]

My unit runs fine for a while and then suddenly stops. When it runs, I can measure 25VAC at the thermostat. When it stops, I have no 25VAC so I can not even run the fan in manual when it stops. After sitting for several hours, the system restarts and runs fine. I have checked the main...

92 Honda suddenly stops [ 2 Answers ]

The problem with this car is driving me crazy. Car starts I am driving for a while and just stops. One time it happened at a red light another time while I was driving. When it stops the radio is still playing, I can use the hazzard lights but the power stearing is out. After a while, it starts...

1993 civic [ 1 Answers ]

Starts up cold... runs then after gets warm it jerks down the street an shuts off,will start up again only if you turn the key on off repeatly with a pedal Idle OK,but when you accelerate it stalls(rpm needle race up an down)firestone checked the code an said it didn't read any... but they...

1993 Civic DX Won't Start [ 4 Answers ]

Even after reading all the postings on not starting, I still have my own! Here's where I'm at: - Started in the morning to go to work and it died after about 5 seconds of running - The engine continues to turn over freely, but does not run - The engine does get gas (as evident by smell and on...

View more questions Search