Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Varadarajan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 09:54 AM
    I am on L1 having SSN, wife is on L2 having ITIN
    I am on L1 having SSN, wife is on L2 having ITIN. I am working in a software firm, but wife is not working. I understand that I have to file jointly with my wife as a dependent.

1. Is my assumption right that, I have file jointly ?
    2. What is the best practice to increase my tax exemptions ?
    3. Any other advice,

Regards,
    Varadarajan
    avataress Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 03:15 PM
    Please see my answer to "Dual Status Confusion," an Indian like yourself. I accept thank you payments. Good luck! e-mail me and tell me how you do with solving this problem! Cheers! :)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 21, 2007, 11:06 AM
    Varadarajan:

No, you do not HAVE to file jointly; you can file separately. However, filing jointly probably produces the greatest tax savings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

On L1, Spouse and kid on L2 , should I apply for ITIN or SSN [ 3 Answers ]

Hi , I have few of questions 1. I am on L1 and my spouse and 18 month kid are on L2. Can I apply for their SSN or I should apply for ITIN. 2.In future my wife may work , and then she will applying for EAD and then get a SSN . Is it possible to get a SSN after getting ITIN. 3.We came US on...

ITIN / SSN for Spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Last year my wife joined me in USA (june) and I filed her as a Dependent prior to her arrival. She got her ITIN and I got my refund. She arrived in June and is on a L1 visa and has a SSN. How do I file this year to get the best refund ? Taking into account; 1) Technically from Jan-June she was...

ITIN Number for my wife [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, After marriage, my wife came with me in Feb.2006.We were in Pennsylvania till July and then we relocated to Washington for new assignment. Should I file for ITIN for my wife now or wait till I get my W4 form in Jan-Feb 2007 and apply for ITIN alongwith tax returns. What are the...

Spouse on H4, no SSN/ITIN [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I was in USA on a H1B visa for close to six years, I got married in May 2005 and my wife accompanied me to the US for four months. We returned to our native for good in September 2005. I did not file for a ITIN/SSN for my wife during her stay. Can I file a joint return claiming her as...

State tax filing for F1 visa holder - spouse has no ITIN/SSN [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am a student on an F-1 visa , and have a wife on an F-2 dependent visa. I can file the federal tax forms without an ITIN for my wife as I will be completing a W7 to apply for an ITIN. How can I claim my wife on any of the state tax forms, as they ask for the spouse's ITIN? Thanks in...

View more questions Search