Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jstar00000 Posts: 61, Reputation: 2

Feb 6, 2013, 07:20 PM
    Senior and still can't ask teachers for help
    I have this abnormal fear of asking my teachers help. When I don't get something my mind shuts down and I give up trying. Then I am afraid my teachers think I don't try hard. I'm not sure how I have good grades. I am a hard worker but when it comes to Math and Physics I very lost. I'm always going to bed late then falling a sleep in these classes. I get behind but I afraid to ask them for help because I physically can't asked anyone for help. I feel like a loser. I'm always asking for help at the last minute. I'm a senior now and I feel like I can't do things that normal person my age can do on there own. Plus I'm not ready to be adult and everyone expects me to be. My mother yells at me why I don't ask for help. I have a Learning disability and I was born early if that has anything to do with it.
    I don't know who to ask for help. My Councilor scares me because she said I couldn't do things, so I can't ask her for help.
    js10000001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Feb 6, 2013, 11:51 PM
    This question hits me so hard, I am compelled to respond.
    Am writing between lines to be closer to the point.
    ================================================== =
    I have this abnormal fear of asking my teachers help.
    => Cannot call it abnormal because MOST of the students have this fear. So, lets just move forward with the assumption that it is NORMAL. Whether that is productive, let's read on.

When I don't get something my mind shuts down and I give up trying.
    =>For starters, let's try NOT TO shut the mind down, and keep trying. Use all means available. Giving up is easy, but does not amount too much. Trying hard is so much more fruitful, will make you so much more prouder of your actions.

Then I am afraid my teachers think I don't try hard.
    => that would be a correct assessment, because by GIVING UP, you WOULD show yourself as having NOT TRIED HARD.

I'm not sure how I have good grades. I am a hard worker but when it comes to Math and Physics I very lost.
    => MATH is KING. No matter what you choose to pursue as a career, if you are good in Math, you will be BETTER OFF. Helps in "decision making" and "problem solving" and "analytical skills".

I'm always going to bed late then falling a sleep in these classes.
    => GET ENOUGH SLEEP. This is a symptom of OTHER PROBLEMS. You are spending time in activities which are LESS important than having a good night sleep.

I get behind but I afraid to ask them for help because I physically can't asked anyone for help.
    =>When you ask questions, people think you are:
    1. CURIOUS
    2. SMART
    3. YOU CARE ABOUT THE SUBJECT.
    4. YOU WILL NOT SETTLE FOR LESS, THAN PERFECT UNDERSTANDING.
    5. A LEADER.
    => When you don't understand and don't ask questions, people think you are:
    1. A LOSER.

I feel like a loser.
    => ANSWERED above.

I'm always asking for help at the last minute.
    => Get organized, and catch up with the lag in materials that you need to know/understand. May require more hours, but do it. Never too late.

I'm a senior now and I feel like I can't do things that normal person my age can do on there own.
    => That is a direct consequence of lagging behind. Put yourself to making sure you understand your subjects.

Plus I'm not ready to be adult and everyone expects me to be.
    => If you are not ready, EVERYONE will understand, IF you start to WORK towards being one. Real work. Hard work. Persistence. "Never giving up" attitude.

My mother yells at me why I don't ask for help.
    => Your mother is so correct! You are one luck son/daughter. I am a father to a 11 year old, and I helped my daughter with almost YOUR EXACT SITUATION.

I have a Learning disability and I was born early if that has anything to do with it.
    => I would not worry too much about that prognosis, and just enjoy the learning experience, by working hard, getting enough sleep, eating well, playing too, AND ASKING QUESTIONS!

I don't know who to ask for help.
    => EVERYBODY!

My Councilor scares me because she said I couldn't do things, so I can't ask her for help.
    =>PLEASE let your parents know about this and have them look into this further.

Lastly, keep this in mind, your parents have your best interests in their mind. Approach them with your concerns. If you feel your concerns are not addressed, approach your teachers, principal, uncles, aunts, ANYONE. BUT KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!
    ================================================== =
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 6, 2013, 11:57 PM
    You have to force yourself, if you get to the point and do ask for help, just do it early.

It is a matter of walking up and just doing it, get a friend to go with you and ask for you if you can not actually say it. Write a note asking for help and hand it to them.

Yes if you can not learn to ask for help, you will not get ahead in life as easy.
    And college will demand you interact and ask questions of teachers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Teachers [ 8 Answers ]

Let me ask you guys this, do you think pursuing the teaching profession now a days is even worth it? I understand it shouldn't be about the money but unfortunately now life is expensive! And money is a huge need! Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Teachers uniforms? [ 3 Answers ]

I have this debate

Former Teachers? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been teaching for nearly four years now, and I have got to say I really don't enjoy it. It's not the subject matter (Chemistry, Science and Math) that bothers me, or the students. I love interacting with them. I just don't enjoy the politics of teaching. I wonder if there are any former...

Bipoler teachers [ 8 Answers ]

My child's teacher is bipoler. I didn't think that you could be a teacher if your bipoler. I had my child moved out of her class because the teacher had no control of her class room but I didn't know at the time that she is bipoler. Should I report it to the school bord? Or is it allowed?

View more questions Search