Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    71demongirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2013, 04:25 PM
    I am being sued for monies due via Main Street Acquisition Corp for HSBC
    I received a summons from a law firm on behalf of HSBC credit card company. The summons was a complaint for monies due and I was served at the end of December. I had 21 days to respond to the summons, stating my planned defense to the law firm (had not yet been filed in court). I did so stating that there was no evidence provided that this credit debt and that I would have to speculate as to the debt they were speaking of.

I received a mailed copy of the complaint filed with the county clerks office about 7 days ago. This was not served to me, but as I said mailed. This is the same summons I had received earlier. It also says I have 21 days to respond there is no court date provided, I called the county clerks office to ask from what date I had to respond and they were no help. So now I don't know if I should be waiting for them to serve me these papers again or not?

Yesterday I received a call from a lawer at the law firm asking if there was any way I wanted to settle this before it went further. Iasked him what options he was willing to provide me, and he stated 3 options. All of these were not financial options for me. I told him that the amount they were asking for was more than double the amount originally due ( did I just incriminate myself?), I asked if he could provide me with a copy of the charges and fees that would come to this number he is stating is owed. He told me that I would have to ask for that information to be provided via discovery through the court. I did also say to him speaking frankly, I didn't believe that his company had the original documentation and they they had purchased this debt from the original company. This was all being recorded, and he said that what he could say on recorded conversaton is that no they do not purchase debt.

My questions are...
    Should I file my response to the court not having actually been served yet?
    Did I incriminate myself and hurt my defense by talking to the layer from the firm? Were they possibly calling me cause they don't want to take this to court cause I might have a good defense?
    How do I proceed with asking that they provide the documantation that shows the original contract and charges that incurred, proving that it is my debt and that they actually have this evidence? I tried to look up the forms online and had no luck (maybe I was calling them the wrong thing).
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 6, 2013, 05:26 PM
    You said you received a summons, If that was filed with the court then you have to respond. A court date will not be set until you do respond. If the lawyer has a recording of you mentioning that you knew the original amount, it might be used against you. And its not uncommon for a debt to more than double from interest and fees.

You respond to the summons with a letter of your intent to defend because you do not believe the debt is valid. You send a copy to the plaintiff.

If a hearing is scheduled you file a motion for discovery to get their documentation.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 7, 2013, 12:31 AM
    My questions are...
    Should I file my response to the court not having actually been served yet?
    Did I incriminate myself and hurt my defense by talking to the layer from the firm? Were they possibly calling me cause they don't want to take this to court cause I might have a good defense?
    How do I proceed with asking that they provide the documantation that shows the original contract and charges that incurred, proving that it is my debt and that they actually have this evidence? I tried to look up the forms online and had no luck (maybe I was calling them the wrong thing).

Scott gave good advice on how to answer the letter

In court, show proof where in writing, at the beginning of the billing from collections, you asked for verification of the debt, show in court it was never provided.

Deny owing the debt, make them prove it. * often they have no proof when and if they show up in court, they count on you not showing up, so they win by default

I doubt that the person you talked to was really an attorney, they use an attorney name in billing and contact but the people who call you are still bill collectors even at this point.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Main street acquisition corp [ 1 Answers ]

I am about to be taken it a civil action lawsuit by main street on a car loan of 10k I filed bankruptcy in 05 but I defaulted in 08 now in2012 my debt apperantly has been sold to main street now they are sueing me . I only have 30 days to come up with a solution?

Main street acquisition corp [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Today I received a letter from a consumer debt attorney offering his for a case that I had no idea I had against me. The Plaintiff is Main Street Acquisition Corp. I haven't called the attorney yet however, I looked up the case at the courthouse listed in the letter. Sure enough there...

Main street acquisition corp/credit report [ 4 Answers ]

This company came up on my credit report 3 times over the past three months. I have never had any dealing with this company and have no idea why they would show up on my credit report. Does anyone know how to dispute this? Thanks

Continuing my case against Main Street Acquisition Corp. [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I am being sued by Main Street Acquisition Corp. (a Junk Debt Buyer from what I understand) for an outstanding balance of nearly $5000 on a credit card. I am very inexperienced with all these law related issues but thanks to the many topics and answers on this site and others, I have been...

Being sued in Michigan by HSBC [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I live in Michigan and forgive me ahead of time for being naïve. It's not an excuse, but it is the reason I've fallen into the hole I'm in. :o Last August I realized I was falling behind on my credit card debt. I got involved with a Debt Consolidation program. My PROBLEM is that one of...

View more questions Search