Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    a_train Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2013, 06:37 AM
    Two Week Notice
    Hi,

I have been offered and accepted a new job with a firm start date of March 8th. I was going to give my two weeks notice at my current position exactly two weeks prior to this date (February 22).

My question arises from the fact that bonuses at my current position don't get paid until February 28th (with verbal notice of amount on Feb. 15th). If I give my two week notice on Feb. 22, and I am still technically an employee on the date of bonus payment, am I entitled to the bonus?

Employee handbook states the following:
    "The individual must be an employee of XXXXXX at the time any such bonus is paid in order to be eligible to receive any such bonus."

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 6, 2013, 06:43 AM
    My guess they will let you go when you give notice so they don't have to give you the bonus.
    a_train Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2013, 08:08 AM
    There is a customery two-week notice period mentioned in the employee handbook. Do you still think that they would terminate effictevely? It may not be very beneficial to them as I am the lead on several projects so the two-week period after my notice would be a time when I would hand-off to another person and walk-through the status of the projects.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 6, 2013, 10:45 AM
    They have to weigh the value of retaining you to manage the transition against the cost of the bonus.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

After 2 week notice, my employer has not paid my final earnings [ 4 Answers ]

Professional truck driver, my boss is not paying my last earned settlement. What do I do. I live in IL, work in IA.

College RA wants tenant to move with 1 week notice [ 2 Answers ]

I attend college in Kentucky and live in an apartment that the college runs, but also has non-student tenants. Since we only have 2 students in our room this quarter, we received a notice to move to another apartment with 2 other students. We were told today that we have to be out in five (5)...

Resignation with 2 week notice [ 5 Answers ]

In Tennessee, an employee turned in her resignation with a 2 week notice. Since then she has been tardy, has left early and called in sick and been very disruptive throughout the office. If I tell her never mind to working her notice, do I still have to pay her for the two weeks and is that...

2 week notice [ 1 Answers ]

Can an employer terminate you after you give 2 weeks notice without pay? I've heard of employers terminating employees but paying them for the 2 weeks. Someone that works in HR here in California says an at-will employee can be terminated without cause after they give notice and there is no need...

View more questions Search