Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richardk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 07:14 AM
    Remove Virus Scan on Opening WORD 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by wungdart
    Whenever we open up either word and/or a word doc. a virus scan is conducting, taking at least two minutes for word to start. How do I turn this function off. Thank you
    Same question. And... following my use of WORD (2003,) when I close it, it reopens! And reopens, ad nauseum... until I have to use a Ctrl/Alt/Del to finally manually close the program.

The next time I attempt to use Word, I am offered the option to open in a Safe Mode. If I select that option, Word opens immediately, with no virus scan.

I deleted OFFICE (2003) altogether, ran two separate clean registry programs, and reinstalled Office. The problem is back. I am running Norton Systemworks 2005, but I don't know which program is performing this interminable virus scan on opening Word.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2007, 07:18 AM
    Norton is causing the problem not Office. Since you have Systemworks, which is a compilation of Norton programs, then I would seek a solution from them. A lot of us computer enthusiasts do not favour Symantec/Norton products any more as they take over our computer and use so many resources that it slows down our system.

Mar 18, 2007, 08:14 AM
    My Anti-Virus annual subscription in Norton Systemworks expires in a few days and I am not only not renewing, but, for the reasons you state, I am going to ATTEMPT to delete Systemworks altogether, which, as you undoubtedly already know, is a real chore. Control Panel's Add/Remove doesn't begin to really get rid of it. There are numerous posts on the internet offering advice for a clean and total Systemworks uninstall, but I haven't tried them yet. Until I can manage that, I will try to find the switch in Norton Anti-Virus to disable the virus scan on opening my word processor. Many thanks, especially for your speedy response.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2007, 08:50 AM
    You seem to be up-to-date and knowledgeable about the subject. Come back if you need any help.
    ANETGames Posts: 51, Reputation: 3

Mar 18, 2007, 04:31 PM
    I suggest searching your registry for any Norton Components that are installed in the Windows Word areas. You may be able to find the key that's runnign it each time.

Sincerely,
    Another Norton Hater :)

PS: After you uninstall system works and norton. Open regedit, and search for the word norton. Then delete everything that contains the word norton or symantec. That's the easiest way to remove it the leftovers after you uninstall it.
    My mom's computer had norton about 3 years ago. And there's still some small leftovers to-date -_-

Good Luck!

Mar 26, 2007, 05:17 AM
    [QUOTE=richardk]Same question. And... following my use of WORD (2003,) when I close it, it reopens! And reopens, ad nauseum... until I have to use a Ctrl/Alt/Del to finally manually close the program.

The next time I attempt to use Word, I am offered the option to open in a Safe Mode. If I select that option, Word opens immediately, with no virus scan.

I deleted OFFICE (2003) altogether, ran two separate clean registry programs, and reinstalled Office. The problem is back. I am running Norton Systemworks 2005, but I don't know which program is performing this interminable virus scan on opening Word.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Office 2003 automat virus scan - how to turn off in MS Word [ 1 Answers ]

I have Office 2003 & Norton 2007 security. How do you stop the automatic vius scan every time you open a word document?:

How do you prevent MS Word from requesting a virus scan? [ 8 Answers ]

What I want to know is how to prevent MS Word from making the request in the first place. What registry entry, if there is one, needs to be changed to disable it. Yes, I've read the other posts about Word requesting virus scans and those solutions do not help my set up. I have virus protection...

Word, "requesting virus scan" [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Running Word, Office 2000, on Win XP, when we attempt to load a file from any disk, we get the hourglass icon, the Word message "Requesting Virus scan", and no progress from there. Our Virus scanner is ESET/Nod32. This is a new installation, with SP2 updates, the previous installation of the...

MS Word & Excel Requesting Virus Scan [ 2 Answers ]

When opening a Word Excel document the message 'requesting virus scan' appears when opening the application then when opening the file the same message again. Instead of a couple of seconds for whole procedure it now takes 11 to 23 seconds. I had made no changes to my computer. Following another...

View more questions Search