Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oakley4432 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2013, 03:01 PM
    Should I wait for a raise, or find a new job?
    I work as a maintenance man at a hotel in my town. I have been there for 6 months. I am certified in industrial maintenance. I recently had my bi-annual performance evaluation and it was perfect! I realize this career averages 14-18 dollars an hour. I have exceeded my companys standards and even go a little further. I have never been late or called in sick. (honestly I have just been an all around exemplary employee). I am currently at $9.50 an hour. My General Manager said I deserve at least $12. Any advise? Should I take my certification/knowledge elsewhere?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 5, 2013, 03:10 PM
    Is there anybody else in town that is willing to give you $12 per hour with the same benefits, equivalent working environment and employment reliability?

Feb 5, 2013, 03:16 PM
    Yes, Yes and Yes. To clarify, I don't have any benefits at my current location. In terms of employment reliability, its hard to say. And the working environment is exceptional at my current location. Literally the only issue I have with the place is that locally the going rate is at least $14/hr.
    My GM agrees with me, but she has made it clear she cannot do anything about it other than refer a raise.
    Who would be the next person higher up to speak with?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 5, 2013, 03:23 PM
    'Should I wait for a raise, or find a new job?'
    Neither. You should tell them that you deserve a raise - with a positive attitude. It takes finesse to use just the right amount of good will, lack of apology or hesitation, positive attitude, and appreciation.
    You can even lie outright - "A relative of mine in (name of city) knows a company looking for someone like me and the person leaving makes 16."
    Why is it OK to lie like that? Because it's not hurting anyone and it's an accepted way to promote yourself. It's not lying about your past or qualifications. You are just saying that you are a desirable commodity.
    Also, the real estate world is recovering. You can throw that in to your speech.
    Just don't do this if you know that you are easily replacable!

Feb 5, 2013, 03:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    'should i wait for a raise, or find a new job?'
    neither. You should tell them that you deserve a raise - with a positive attitude. It takes finesse to use just the right amount of good will, lack of apology or hesitation, positive attitude, and appreciation.
    You can even lie outright - "a relative of mine in (name of city) knows a company looking for someone like me and the person leaving makes 16."
    why is it ok to lie like that? Because it's not hurting anyone and it's an accepted way to promote yourself. It's not lying about your past or qualifications. You are just saying that you are a desirable commodity.
    Also, the real estate world is recovering. You can throw that in to your speech.
    Just don't do this if you know that you are easily replacable!
    I could not have asked for a better response!
    Thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you get fired for asking for a raise for the first time after a year on job [ 1 Answers ]

Worked for a JCL Homecare that hires workers to clean houses, run errands, take care of patient's hyigeiene. I was currently taking care of 2 patients and was told that if I referred this new client that my boss would give me a $10.00 raise (which that was told to me back in February), well I...

I can be airhostess or not? How much time I had to wait for a job? [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to the training classes of an airhostess?? I will be airhostess or not? How much time I had to wait for job?

Where do I find an organization that helps people raise money for personal goals? [ 3 Answers ]

I have heard of organizations where you can register your personal need and see if charitab le individuals will respond to your plea with private donations and/or loans. I have heard this on NPR and seen it on TV, like the Today show but did not pay close attention. If you know of an...

How long do I have wait before my criminal conviction allows me to find a job I desev [ 4 Answers ]

I have been incarcerated before. Now ten years later the same response is given every time I apply for jobs. What am I do. SEND HELP I CAN USE. Thank you

View more questions Search