Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2013, 10:25 AM
    Google earth
    Hello:

Will it work WITHOUT the internet? I'm going to be driving without an internet connection.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 5, 2013, 10:55 AM
    Nope
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2013, 10:56 AM
    Don't think so... most of the detailed information is on the web and only downloaded as needed... so you wouldn't have access to it.

THere are other applications that would let you download maps... but you'd be better off just getting a cheap Garmin, Tom Tom or your choice of navigation device...

THen you know you will have what you need when you need it.
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2013, 07:40 AM
    Hello again, guys:

Thanks. I'm taking my lap top over to a friends house and I want to show him something on Google Earth... I think he has WI FI and if so, I can log on to his internet... But, he MAY only have internet through his phone, and I don't know how to connect to that..

Is there a way to use my iPhone 5 as my internet connection?

excon
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2013, 07:45 AM
    As I understand it in the US: if you have the right plan and if your provider allows it you can set up your iPhone as an access point : How to Use Personal Hotspot on iOS 6 and the iPhone 5
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2013, 08:23 AM
    Hello again,

I DID it.. I'm connected by my iPhone.. It cost me an extra $20 a month... But, I'm connected ANYWHERE.. I LOVE my Iphone..

You know there's an app for putting the phone on your chest and sending an electrocardiogram to your doctor??

Thanks again, NK.

excon
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2013, 08:31 AM
    I saw that report yesterday re: ECG. Cool.

I'm an Android guy myself and we've been able to freely tether for quite a while. Also instead of using the Resource intensive Google Earth couldn't you use Google maps?
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2013, 08:41 AM
    Hello NK:

I don't think so... I'm looking to open a medical marijuana dispensary.. It has to be at least 1,000 feet from schools, parks, and stuff like that... I need to be able to measure accurately, and Google Earth has a tool that does just that.. I don't think I can do that in maps.

Can I?

excon
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2013, 08:52 AM
    If you found your tool that works for you then stick with it.

I've added funtionality to GMaps using stuff in the MapsLab. You can find it here (and guess what? A distance measuring tool! :))

Name:  excon.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  60.2 KB
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 6, 2013, 05:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello NK:

I don't think so... I'm looking to open a medical marijuana dispensary.. It has to be at least 1,000 feet from schools, parks, and stuff like that... I need to be able to measure accurately, and Google Earth has a tool that does just that.. I don't think I can do that in maps.

Can I?

excon
    I recommend MS Streets and Trips. And if you look around you can get last years version at a bargin as well as the GPS unit that goes with it. Works great with a laptop. Also you can update it for construction information too so you get the latest routing if you use it for that.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keyw...s%20with%20gps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Google earth ! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everybody , My name is Dina and I live in Morocco , I have a problem using Google earth on My Mac.. Look at the screenshot :{ Image Upload ! }.. My E-mail is : >Removed<.. Thank you vey much

I cannot access Google or search on Google (Only Google) [ 3 Answers ]

Google has been my default search, no problems. My browser is the latest Firefox Beta 3.5 Beta 4 file version 4.42.0.0. The issue started over two weeks ago under the Beta browser. The issue is now, I can’t use Google search or just about any site that is a Google site. I put in a search item...

Make a .gif from Google Earth? [ 4 Answers ]

I'd like to do something like the below animated gif... but use a "real" zoom like from Google Earth. http://www.jackson8.com/images/ayr.gif Do any of you know of an app that will make it easier than trying to do a .gif with so many layers? Thanks!

Google Earth funny/odd stuff [ 19 Answers ]

Man I love this app! If you have not tried it I suggest that you NOT, as you may become addicted. We use it to plot where we've lived and visited. It's fun family fare to look through them on occasion and recall those fun times. It's also cool to find oddities. I've got 2 that come to...

Google Earth [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know if Google earth plans to upgrade the resolution of it´s satellite images in the many areas that are currently at lower resolution?

View more questions Search