Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kahani Punjab Posts: 510, Reputation: 203

Feb 4, 2013, 12:09 AM
    How to reduce the weight/thickness of the pony tail?
    I had pretty long (and heavy) hair, touching my buttocks. It was difficult to manage. Recently, I got my hair cut to a little below shoulders. But I can't keep the hair open all the time. The hair is very heavy. So, when I make a pony tail, it does not look fine. How can I reduce the weight and thickness of the pony tail? Please give me advice.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 4, 2013, 12:19 AM
    You can get your hair thinned. Just ask your hairdresser to do it. They're scissors that the hair dressers runs through your hair, that only cuts some of the hair, taking away a lot of the bulk. You can even buy these thinning shears in stores, but I wouldn't suggest that you do it yourself. Unless you know what you're doing, you could end up with a very bad haircut. It's best to let your hairdresser do it.

It's not permanent, so you'll have to get it done every time you go for a haircut.

Feb 4, 2013, 02:28 AM
    Thanks for the proper reply ALTY. I am so grateful to you.

Actually someone scared me by saying that I need to get my nape shaved, which is the only way out, but now with your advice, I feel relaxed. Is napeshave also an option and should I go for that?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 4, 2013, 03:29 AM
    I agree, surprised they did no thin it when they trimmed it.

But it is a common procedure
    Pets Expert

Feb 4, 2013, 03:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahani Punjab View Post
    Thanks for the proper reply ALTY. I am so grateful to you.

Actually someone scared me by saying that I need to get my nape shaved, which is the only way out, but now with your advice, I feel relaxed. Is napeshave also an option and should I go for that?
    I definitely wouldn't get your nape shaved.

When they use the thinning shears it will layer your hair a bit. They don't go to the scalp, they thin it throughout, taking a lot of the bulk out. I have it done every visit because I also have very thick hair. When I wait too long between haircuts I can definitely tell that I haven't had it thinned for a while. It always feels so good after I get it done. So light. So much easier to style, so much nicer in a pony tail.

If you shave the nape then it will be visible when you put your hair up. It's not an attractive look, and it won't feel good either. You'll have to get it done every week or so as the hair grows back, unlike the thinning which will last you a few months.
    Story Writer Posts: 108, Reputation: 13

Feb 6, 2013, 10:36 AM
    There are many girls, who want to look different. There are others who enjoy shaving, i.e. the touch of the blade against their skin. Are you not one of those/these?

Alty... Do you always get this cut? Or, just sometimes? Do you have heavy hair? Do you always keep hair short or grow it too?
    Pets Expert

Feb 6, 2013, 01:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Story Writer View Post
    There are many girls, who want to look different. There are others who enjoy shaving, i.e. the touch of the blade against their skin. Are you not one of those/these?

Alty.... Do you always get this cut? Or, just sometimes? Do you have heavy hair? Do you always keep hair short or grow it too?
    I always get my hair thinned, as does my daughter. I have very thick hair. Right now it's long, but I've had it short as well. In fact, I always like to experiment, so I've had many many different hair cuts over the years.

Nape shaving is done to get some of the bulk out, but it only removes the bulk on the nape, not overall. I've never seen a nape shave that gives you a nice hairstyle. It always looks bad, especially if you wear your hair up, and it's very noticeable. .

Thinning, when done right, by a hairdresser, isn't even noticeable. No one will know that you've had your hair thinned, you'll simply have less bulk. It's the perfect solution to thick hair that often doesn't allow a nice hairstyle.

Feb 9, 2013, 11:20 AM
    Alty!

Thanks for the solution. I would surely visit the parlor with confidence now. Do you have the same problem, I mean the hair thickness? And, also your daughter? How old are you and how old is your daughter? Can I know as to how regularly do I need to get my hair thinned? Is not it very expensive? After how many days will I have to get it 'done' i.e. thinned again?
    Pets Expert

Feb 9, 2013, 09:54 PM
    I have very thick hair, as does my daughter. I'm 42, my daughter is 10. I get my hair thinned every time I go in for a hair cut, it's included in the cost of the cut.

Feb 10, 2013, 02:48 AM
    Alty,

Is it always included in the cost of the haircut? How much is the cost around? Can you plesae mention here?

And, what about eyebrows and all?
    Pets Expert

Feb 10, 2013, 12:05 PM
    Alty,

Is it always included in the cost of the haircut? How much is the cost around? Can you plesae mention here?

And, what about eyebrows and all?
    Yes, it's part of the haircut. The salon where I get my hair cut costs $40, whether I get my hair thinned or not. This is not a separate procedure, it's part of a haircut when someone has thick hair.

Eyebrows? Getting your eyebrows waxed or thinned is not a part of a haircut, that's a separate thing. My hair dresser does not do eyebrows.
    Pets Expert

Feb 10, 2013, 12:18 PM
    How To: Thin hair - YouTube

Here's a video of how to thin your hair at home. This girl uses a thinning razor, it's a special razor used only for thinning hair. I use thinning shears, and yes, I have done this at home, on my own, but the hairdresser does a better job. I usually do it at home between cuts, if it's been a long time since I've gone to the hairdresser and I know I won't be able to go for a few months.

The scissors I use, and my hairdresser uses, look like this:

Name:  thinning shears.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  3.4 KB

They cost around $12 at Walmart, but I've seen thinning shears for under $5, it depends on where you go, and the quality. I bought top quality shears.

What the razor or shears does, is cut into the hair, but only cuts a few hairs, not all. So you're cutting away some of the hair, but leaving the majority. That's how the hair gets thinner, because there's literally not as much hair left. But, you can't just cut in a straight line down your hair, otherwise you won't get an even looking cut. That's why it's best for the hairdresser to do this, and as I said, it's part of any good hairdressers cut, if you have thick hair. There is no extra charge.

Feb 11, 2013, 08:06 AM
    Alty,

Do not you sometimes feel a sort of fear or so that you are gettin' you hair cut, and it is going to reduce the length of your tresses? How do you feel while getting a haircut? Any type of emotion? And your daughter? When the trimmed locks fall on the ground, do not your heart sort of pumps or trembles, sometimes? Pl let me know how you feel?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 11, 2013, 08:18 AM
    I guess I don't understand your culture. I get my hair cut every 4 weeks. I don't "tremble," my heart doesn't pump. It just something that I do to make myself look good.

I compare it to showering or shaving. Something that has to be done in order to look good.

I don't understand why there would be any fear involved in getting a haircut.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2013, 11:22 AM
    I've asked this before - could all the OP's questions on hair be combined into one thread? It is impossible to answer one without the other.

This is the twelfth thread. I very possibly don't understand the culture but... please. One thread.
    Pets Expert

Feb 11, 2013, 06:00 PM
    Alty,

Do not you sometimes feel a sort of fear or so that you are gettin' you hair cut, and it is going to reduce the length of your tresses? How do you feel while getting a haircut? Any type of emotion? And your daughter? When the trimmed locks fall on the ground, do not your heart sort of pumps or trembles, sometimes? Pl let me know how you feel?
    Fear getting my hair cut? No. I would fear getting my arm cut off, or my leg, or any other part of my body that won't grow back. But my hair? No. It's hair, it grows back, and frankly, having it cut makes me feel great. I always get excited when it's time to go to the hairdresser, as does my daughter who got pink highlights the last time she went. She was giddy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hai.I'm 20 yrs old.I'm 53kgs weight. I want to reduce my weight and belly. *** help me [ 1 Answers ]

Hai. I am 20 years old . I have a big belly. I'm not happy with that belly and thighs. Please give a solution to reduce my belly with in 3-4 months

Exterior door In brick- Can I reduce wood frame thickness [ 1 Answers ]

I Have an exterior door leading into my basement. It is in a cinderblock foundation. The door frame is built out of 2x can I rip it out and replace it with 1x pt to mount a new pre hung door? Thanks in advance.

View more questions Search