Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Moostepher Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Mar 18, 2007, 01:37 AM
    Netgear problems
    I installed a router and for various reasons I had to tweak it, but, since I haven't logged in in so long, I forgot where I put the password, and had to reset the router - thinking it would be no problem just to reset the controls to the way I want them, since I knew the default password and all that jazz. Well, now, when I try and log into the router settings, the router (netgear 54 Mbps wireless router WGR614 v6) can't detect the IP address, or the subnet address, etc. from my ISP. The result is that I can't log onto the internet w/ the router hooked up. I have to hook my desktop directly into the cable modem - which means that my laptop is sans internet.

What's the deal w/ that? How can one force my Netgear router to obtain the needed adddesses from that fine bastion of higher technology - Comcast?

I tried rebooting the router, the modem, the desktop and laptop in all kinds of imaginable combinations, and it all revolves around my netgear router not getting the IP addresses comcast. Nothing works other than plugging the desktop directly into the cable modem.

Can anyone help? I would like to have my laptop w/ internet again.

Thanks

Moosetepher
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

Mar 18, 2007, 02:38 AM
    Check the details you typed in CAREFULLY, and make sure that the cables are in place (everyone has made that mistake!)

If you can connect to the router (type in the IP address or access it by using the installation CD) then it has to be the connection to the internet that is the problem.

Last time I had a problem it was because I entered the address of my Internet Servive Provider with the ".com" suffix instead of ".adsl"
    Moostepher Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Mar 18, 2007, 01:23 PM
    Everything is one hundred percent correct - to give you an idea of how "blatant" the problem is, I just tried to use the router - by unplugging the cable modem and plugging the ethernet cable that is (somewhat) "permanently" attached to the desktop (only because it is in a rats's nest of wires and too much a pain in the arse to get to) into the router and then tried it, again all kinds of different ways - I did it w/ it plugged in (power that is) and then unplugged and then plugged it in, thinking that maybe rebooting the router at some key point may make a difference. I got nothing - I then changed the wire again (I changed the ethernet cable from the router to the desktop again that is) and here I am responding to this answer.

Thanks for the help - but, no help.

Anyone else?

Thanks

Moose
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Mar 19, 2007, 04:00 AM
    You can do one of two things to fix this problem since Comcast locks your access to one MAC address.

1) Take your Desktop MAC address and put that onto your router's WAN side.

2) Call Comcast and give them the new MAC address of your router.

Casey

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermostat problems or furnace problems [ 22 Answers ]

Is it possible that a thermostat operates correct all the time except when it reaches the temperature that is set doesn't maintain that temperature?:D I noticed that actually that thermostat gives a signal to the furnace but furnace doesn't turn on but that happens only when thermostat needs to...

Netgear USB Adapter [ 1 Answers ]

I have two USB adapters and cannot get either to work. I know I may be a little dense. I am trying to link a Laptop (which has its own adapter) to my PC and thereby to my Printer, but I give up!!

Use my NETGEAR WGR614 v5 Wireless router as a WAP? [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, so everyone said this would be easy. The kid at (insert popular electronics store here) said it would be no problem to use my already owned/unused router to set up a WAP that will connect with the other router in the house, so I can 1: hook my vonage device into my router, and 2:...

Reconfigure netgear router [ 2 Answers ]

How do I reconfigure my netgear WGR614v2 to use a different gateway address than 192.168.0.1 ?

View more questions Search