Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imadthegreat Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2013, 11:10 PM
    Carryover Capital Loss
    Hi

In 2011 I lost $2711 in short term stocks. But I also had long term gains from gold and other stocks bringing my net loss to only $71. So on line 13 of my 1040 I claimed only $71 in loss. Did I do it right? Could I have claimed more in losses? If yes, Can I carry over anything this year or can I file an amended return?

Thanks
    Imad
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2013, 08:15 AM
    Did you submit Schedule D and Firm 8949 to provide the details of stock and gold transactions? If you did, then you did good.

If, however, all you entered was the $71 loss on line #13, then you need to amend the return and provide the Schedule D and Form 8949.

If you need professional help, email at the email address in my profile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I treat carryover loss as ordinary loss in the coming tax year? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I treat carryover loss as ordinary loss in the coming tax year?

Passive loss carryover [ 1 Answers ]

I rented out my primary residence for a while and has a passive loss carryover. I heard that I cannot use it until I sell the house. 1) Can I offset it with other passive income such as investment income? 2) When I sell the house, how does the passive loss carryover affect the primary...

Passive loss carryover [ 1 Answers ]

Scenarios: I lived overseas for a while so I rented my primary residence during my absence. I have a passive loss carryover in year 1. I had additional passive loss carryover in year 2. The house became my primary residence in year 3. Can I claim my passive loss carryover in year 3...

Short term capital gain carryover [ 1 Answers ]

Can short term capital losses be carried over to next year?

Capital loss carryover provisions [ 1 Answers ]

Is applying a capital loss carryover to a current years capital gain optional? Deails: I have a capital loss carryover of say $5000. In 2007 I have a capital gain of $2000. I know I could offset that gain with some of my capital loss carryover. BUT... suppose I am already paying zero in tax...

View more questions Search