Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PaulHiebert Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2013, 07:12 PM
    I have a computer question
    I bought a new HP laptop and a new HP printer. After downloading the software/driver it will scan but won't print. I have tried to re-install the program with my fireall down just in case that was a problem ,but it still will not respond when I try to print something. But it still will scan just fine when I try from my computer. Stumped.
    Now to give a bit of background, I already had this model of printer prior to buying the new computer (It is the same model as the new one I bought, so I now have two HP deskjet 1050's). I originally went on-line and downloaded the software for the original printer, but it wouldn't work with my new computer. I deleted and redownloaded the software again but still did not work. I figured buying a new printer would solve my troubles, but I was wrong. Just before downloading the software on-line for the second time, I first deleted 2 or three items from my programs that were HP printer related (can't remember exactly what they were called). Now I am wondering if my computer originally had a small program already installed on it from new that is required to run the software that I would download for my printer? Is it possible that I deleted something that was needed to connect to my new printers software or does anyome have any other ideas of what might be wrong?
    Again, my printer WILL scan from my computer, it just won't print, so it can't be a connection issue, or it wouldn't scan either.
    Stumped.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 2, 2013, 07:49 PM
    Did you load the printer driver? Also when you do print is this one the default printer ?
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Feb 2, 2013, 10:17 PM
    Scanning is the scanner (all in one) transmitting data to the PC. Printing on the other hand is data being transferred from the PC to the all in one. So it's a PC to printer issue. Did you go into control panel and add the printer and make it default? In XP the control panel icon would be "Printers and Faxes". There should be two items there for a new PC, one is the "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" and the other should be your HP Printer. If not you might need to add it.

I've had issues before if I plugged the Printer in before I installed the software/driver. Sometimes if you do that, Windows will install a driver for you and then the one you download won't work. My printer installation instructions indicate software first. Maybe if you system restore to before the printer was plugged in (with the printer unplugged of course) you could try again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer motherboard question [ 6 Answers ]

Does the p5kpl/1600(motherboard) support Sapphire Technology ATI Radeon 6850 HD 2gb editon? I also have 600w psu

Computer typing question [ 0 Answers ]

When typing a question mark"?",hold down the right shift key with the right little finger ,and then key the "/" key with the right finger.

Computer question [ 2 Answers ]

This is a computer question. The text in gmail was very small every time I entered from Firefox. In every other site, the text was normal. A tech was visiting to install a new cable line and I asked his help. He adjusted the text size under "options". It worked but created another problem. Some...

View more questions Search