Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bubblechaser Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2013, 10:15 AM
    Shower floor tile mastic
    What is the best type of mastic for laying shower floor tile?Are there additives that can be added to mastic to make it more resilient to the type of location it is in?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2013, 11:21 AM
    Since you are bedding the tile over a concrete floor, just use regular thin set and an acrylic additive. Grout is what keeps the underneath dry not the mastic. Some people use Acrylpro for shower floors but I don't.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 1, 2013, 05:36 PM
    Yeah, mastic is not correct for this application! As noted by Ma0641, thinset mortar is correct in most applications, but our best answer would come by knowing exactly what tile/stone material you are using here, OK?

You posted a question over at plumbing regarding an incorrectly pitched concrete shower floor, Bubblechaser... did you read my response yet? If not go over to plumbing and read... please respond after with any questions, OK?

Mark
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Feb 1, 2013, 07:51 PM
    Bubblechaser,

Don't even think about using any mastic in a shower, especially the floor. You will be removing the floor within a short time.

Use only real thinset mortar which only comes in powder form. What type of waterproofing will you be using? Got any specific products in mind?

Jaz
    bubblechaser Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2013, 12:38 PM
    Hi guys,I'm putting down 1 inch natural stone tiles in a 12 inch sheet with a mesh backing.Up till now I have been getting my info from LOEWS and Home Depot.Good stores ,but they don't necessarily hire people with background and experience.I worked for LOEWS once and was thrown out on the floor with the promise of training.Good people ,but I think each department should hire one experienced person,maybe even retired.They could take others under their wing an train.I know ,not cost effective.Thanks for the help.
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Feb 2, 2013, 01:11 PM
    You're right about the nice people at the big box stores, they're very nice, but it's difficult to find anyone that knows more than the minimum. In 20 years I've only found one person in the flooring department that knew how tiles are installed. He was a tile setter working there till biz picked up again. He was gone within 2 months.

Natural stone for a shower, and a floor no less? I wish you luck because you're going to need it. Natural stone for showers can be a nightmare.

As you know I read and added to your other thread in plumbing. You were given very bad advice and if I remember you've already done much of the work. If you'd like to review it, do it here.

Jaz

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to remove ceramic tile mastic from hardwood floor. [ 4 Answers ]

I removed an old ceramic tile floor in my foyer that was put down over hardwood flooring. The tiles came up pretty easily as they had been there about 20 years. The leftover residue of mastic and grout is pretty brittle. I would like to know the easiest way to clean that up and try to sand and...

Re-Tile Shower Floor? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I need help and can't find any scenarios that don't refer to full shower pan replacement. I have 3 year old shower that does not leak but had badly cracked grout and a few floor tiles from a foundation shift. (yes, that bad.. I fixed drywall corners up one whole side of the house! Got...

Tile a shower floor [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom. It an an existing fiberglass shower basin. It is not cracked put it is discolored. I don't want to make a new basin. I was wanting to know how to use the existing basin and tile it with 1" travertine tiles. On the walls I am putting 12" travertine tiles.

Removing Hardset Tile Mastic from Concrete Floor [ 1 Answers ]

I need to remove a hardset ( not glue type) mastic from a large area of concrete floor. The mastic is almost as hard as the concrete and must be ground down in order to lay carpet. I am currently using a floor belt sander with hardest grade paper. It's moving at just about a snails pace. Is...

View more questions Search