Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iminagony1978 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2013, 08:36 AM
    Suspension and no reason why??
    Hi
    THanks for taking the time to read my story. To cut a long story short approx 9 days ago my boss called me into the office when I got into work and said I needed to go home immediately and that I've been suspended on full pay pending an investigation (I work in care) as "somebody has said that i said something to somebody" was the explanation I got??
    This was on the 24th Jan and I received a letter couple of days ago stating I was on full pay whilst investigation was carried out but o explination of WHY I was suspeded!!
    Can a company do this to me? Ive been told in the letter that I'm not allowed to contact any of my friends/sevice users at work whilst the investigatin is carried out. So not only has my career fell apart I'm being banned from speaking to my friends. Its been 10 dys now and all I've had is a letter stating I've been suspended and that in order to reieve full basic pay I need to make myself available Mon-Fri between 9-5 for any meetings
    Any help would be appreciated
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2013, 09:04 AM
    Do you have an employment contract, belong to a Union?

At this point it doesn't appear that your career has fallen apart. It does appear that you are being investigated for something (obviously) and your employer does not want you talking to your co-workers until the investigation is completed. This is not unusual, and I see it all the time - I'm an investigator.

I would sit tight and see what happens. Your employer is being cautious if you are suspended with pay.

Do you have any idea what has been alleged? Has anyone else been suspended?

I realize you were involved with a co-worker. Is that somehow related to your suspension?

Feb 1, 2013, 09:18 AM
    Hi and thanks for your reply. No body else has been suspended, I know that as a safe guarding issue it needed to be investigated. I understand that it is alleged at ths point hence full pay but this does not help my mental state of this stigma in care.

Feb 1, 2013, 09:22 AM
    Sorry I forgot to mention, I'm not in a union and I have not got a clue what has been alleged? I went to my boss and told her that a service user had stated I had sworn at them (I did not do this and the service user is know to lie), this is just hearsay and bullying as the manager hates me. What I don't understand is that I went to my manager to be honest and say that the service user has accused me of this and she has shopped me!! If I had done this why would I give myself in.
    I have done nothing wrong and went to my manager to safe guard myself and endedup getting suspended??
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2013, 09:38 AM
    It sure does sound unfair. I do think keeping you on salary is good - if there's proof you would be gone, gone, gone. It sounds like your word vs "her" word. The best you can do is continue to hang in there and see what happens next.

Sounds like a big investigation over one incident. Wonder what's causing the delay (other than poor investigative skills).

Feb 1, 2013, 09:40 AM
    Its been 10 days now since I was sent home. Ive lost so much weight and having suicidal thoughts, I've done nothing wrong, its like the employee is treated like dirt and the service user has all the rights. Im scared I'm going to get fired and not be able to find another job again
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2013, 09:44 AM
    I'd be upset, too, very upset. At the end of the day all we have is our reputation.

You have to keep telling yourself that you did nothing wrong, that you went to your Supervisor and explained what happened not to cover yourself but so that he/she would be warned in the event there was follow up.

I know you're upset but you need to be as calm as you can be because you need your strength - and your "brains" - right now. When the next step happens (reinstatement, firing) you need to come back and let us know, and we'll walk you through the next step. Hopefully you'll go back to work and there won't be a next step.

Fingers crossed for you if that helps.

Just hang in there, be calm, don't lose control of your actions or words, see what happens next.

Feb 1, 2013, 09:46 AM
    Not only that but I can't talk to my friends as I work with them - I feel I've lost everything. How the hell can a company investigate "she said that i said to a service user" its hearsay and totally wrong and unfair. Ive done nothing wrong and feel I'm being targeted.

Forgot to mention, the manager used to work with the assistant manager in her last company and are good friends, as recently I've aired my views over the assistant managers downfalls (leaving knives out, keys on side) but everything is covered up and hush hush as they are friends. The manger hates me "having a pop at her friend" so this is a perfect way of getting me the boot. Im so mad as this is bullying

Feb 1, 2013, 09:55 AM
    I forgot to say, the manager sent me home the day the above happened stating I was stressed and needed a rest. Im going through divorce/buying/selling house and feel she is using my personal life to sack me. I went home and had the day after off and returned the following day, this is when I was suspended. I feel she is using my personal life to sack me, she even let me walk home in minus 5 conditions as she knew my vehicle was broken. Its pure bullying
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 1, 2013, 10:26 AM
    I would tell them that you are getting a lawyer. Do a little asking around, perhaps a law firm who does a certain amount of pro bono work. Where is this?
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2013, 11:04 AM
    "Joy," with all respect I would do nothing that will cause management to react and attempt to explain/justify its position, not until management makes its move.

As far as bullying, etc. management has the ability to suspend/fire or do whatever. How a person gets home is not the legal concern of management.

I'd sit tight.

Feb 1, 2013, 11:29 AM
    Thanks for your reply, yes I understand that it was my own problem to get home. Im being bullied and there's nothing I can do

Feb 1, 2013, 11:31 AM
    Sorry only half my reply got printed ? Its like I'm being left to mull over my fate without any communication. I don't know how long I can take this withot something doing somehing silly. If I lose my job I won't be able to pay my mortgage and lose my house. Its all a nightmare and I can't see no end in sight.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 1, 2013, 11:38 AM
    But given that the 2 managers are friends and one doesn't like her, it sounds like they are trying to cook up a legal reason to fire her, and maybe it's taking so long because the owners have legal counsel. 10 days!
    Even if she doesn't mention talking to a lawyer, shouldn't she consult one?

Feb 1, 2013, 11:47 AM
    In my place of work like many it's a case of NOT what you know but WHO you know. Ive done nothing wrong and I'm being accused I think of allegedly swearing at a service user which I didn't do, hence why I told my manager of the accusation to safe guard myself. I feel I've shot myself in the foot.
    Also, we have all been told that if we pick up overtime and then can't do it that it will go on our sickness record even though it was overtime? I don't know if this is legel, they always give overtime to us then take it away last minute and there is nothing we can do, but if we drop it apparently my manager says its OUR responsibility to cover the shift and it goes down on sickness record. Sorry to go on a tangent I just wanted to demonstrate the unfairness of the company and its rules

Feb 1, 2013, 11:47 AM
    I don't know if the rules are different here in the UK to the US, but the principleshould stand surely?
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2013, 12:13 PM
    Being right doesn't always mean you will win - unfortunately.

Feb 1, 2013, 12:59 PM
    I know Judy, this is my life in there hands and I'm having a nervous breakdown here. I know a job isn't worth my health and life but my reputation is at stae and I'm never going to get another job with "she was fired" hanging over me. Its not fair as I've done nothing wrong... that what hurts x

Feb 2, 2013, 09:24 AM
    Just to let you all know that I've still received no letter explaining why I've been suspended and it will be day 12 tomorrow :-(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

On unpaid suspension [ 8 Answers ]

I am on unpaid suspension, and my employer is still investigating the situation. I still may be fired. I never said or did anything to anyone, it was the talking to another coworker, and someone else was in listening range. I am unsure if I will lose my job, if I do, what is the information that...

Suspension for Hazing [ 1 Answers ]

I am being threatened with suspension for a year from university for doing, what was construed as, hazing as part of a fraternity. How will this affect my chances of getting into a good graduate school, considering I have never had any previous violations and have a relatively strong GPA? Thanks a...

Suspension from university [ 2 Answers ]

I have been suspended from the university twice for having a low grade point average. I will graduate in about a year or so. How will that effect me in getting into graduate school.

Suspension [ 8 Answers ]

I got a suspension in middle school.can this effect my future in college??

View more questions Search