Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2dogsjb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2013, 10:29 PM
    ask an accountant a question for free
    Revenue (accrual based accting) is income from sale of goods & services once the good or service has been provided. It does not mean the monies received.
    Gross Profit = Total revenue (inc. all open & closed AR for period been reported but not open historical AR) - COGS. GP = AR1 + AR2 + other) – COGS. Where AR1 = current sales where monies have been collected and AR2 = current sales where monies have not been collected.
    EBIT = Gross Profit – operating expenses – depreciation
    Net Working Capital(NWC) = Current Assets (Inc all open AR historical and this period related) – Current Liabilities. NWC = AR3 + AR2 – Current Liabilities, Where AR3 = prior periods sales where moneis not collected and AR2 = sales where monies have not been collected.

Cash Flow of the firm = Operating cash flow + Capital Spending + Change in Net working capital

CF = (AR1 + AR2 – COGS – operating expenses)This year + Capital Change + ((AR3+AR2 – Current liabilities)This year – (AR3+AR2 – Current Liabilties)Last year.

WHY is it that the cash flow calculation is not a double up of the sales for the current period where monies have not been collected. i.e. AR2.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2013, 07:36 AM
    Ask Me Help Desk - Announcements in Forum : Homework Help
    “Read this first - Expectations for the Homework Help Board:
    Do not simply retype or paste a question from your book or study material

We won't do your homework questions for you. You were given the assignment for you to learn.

If you come up with your own answer and post it for us to critique that is within reason.

If you have some SPECIFIC questions that you couldn't find or didn't understand, we may help with that. But this is your assignment, so show us you have at least attempted to complete it on your own.

Thank you.”
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2013, 02:47 PM
    WHY is it that the cash flow calculation is not a double up of the sales for the current period where monies have not been collected. i.e. AR2.
    In order to find cash flow from sales you would adjust by the value of collectables at the start and end of the period.

Cash flow means cash flow, in accrual accounting the results ignore cash flow and match transactions with the periods they are related to. This attempts to remove distortions caused by the availability of cash to the business
    2dogsjb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2013, 08:29 PM
    I have no idea what you are talking about.
    What homework ? I am simply educating myself and reading about corporate finance. The question is of my own making. I went through step by step to arrive at what I would think is a valid and interesting question. I take offence that you are indicating I am asking for some help with some homework or something like that.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2013, 08:24 AM
    And I take offense that you actually think I would believe you sit around and write lengthy accounting questions just for the experience of doing so and because it's something you want to know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Free accountant question [ 3 Answers ]

Restaurant Business: Server declares their tips and is taxed on them. Every night they are required by the business to give the bartender 4% of alcohol sales in cash. No record of this. So the Server is being taxed on money given to the bartender. The bartender is collecting "cash" and not...

Ask an accountant a question for free [ 1 Answers ]

Two companies, intercompany accounts, one company pays a 12 month overhead insurance policy, allocating a portion to second company, expensing over twelve months. Question: Am I required to expense over 12 months the portion allocated to the second company?

Ask an accountant free? [ 0 Answers ]

I am trying to figure out a formula on how to bill multiple companies for our consulting employees: I am billing separately for days, weeks, and months, as the consulting agents will be doing various tasks... Based on the annual costs of the consulting agent and their 3 weeks paid vacation time......

Free question to accountant? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I give a check to an employee who has been hurt in an accident without running it through payroll

View more questions Search