Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paolagarciagodo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2013, 07:36 PM
    Can my employer threaten me with termination
    I work at a cricket wireless store, I've been working here for 2 years, my employer threaten me with termination if the sign sppiner doesn't sand on the right side of the sidewalk, I've talked to the sign sppiner and he know where he is supposed to be. I work by myself all day and Its really hard to see every movemetn the sign guy does, I stay busy taking payments and helping customers and the side walk is far form the front door, so I can't leave the store to check on him! Today my employer told me he will fire me if the sign guy stands on the wrong side of the side walk again...
    So can he fire me for something I don't have control off and something that I didn't do, if the sign guy knows where he is supposed to be, should my employer fire him and not me? Is it legar or right for him to do that?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 31, 2013, 07:39 PM
    Generally, unless you have a contract, you can be terminated for no reason at all. Have you explained to your boss that you can't monitor the sign guy and service HIS customers as well.

Jan 31, 2013, 07:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Generally, unless you have a contract, you can be terminated for no reason at all. Have you explained to your boss that you can't monitor the sign guy and service HIS customers as well.
    Yes I have, I didn't know I could be terminated for no reason at all, and I thought threating an employee with termination was ilegal!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 31, 2013, 07:46 PM
    Any question on law needs to include your general area as laws vary by area. But no I don't believe its illegal to threaten.

Jan 31, 2013, 07:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Any question on law needs to include your general area as laws vary by area. But no I don't believe its illegal to threaten.
    OK, thanks, this people own a lot of cricket stores, and I thinkd they do a lot of thigs that aren't supposed to be done, I have at least 10 emails form them threating to terminate for a lot of different reasons, and I always thouth it was wrong but today was different,I got yelled at in front of a customer because of the sign guy!! And they also do a lot of mandatory meetings with no pay at hours when we are off and they theaten to terminate or cur hours if you don't show up, I always thought that if it was a mandatory meeting they would have to pay you for it! Is that right?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 31, 2013, 07:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paolagarciagodo View Post
    ... I always thought that if it was a mandatory meeting they would have to pay you for it!! is that right?
    Again, it may depend on what country you are in. But in general, if you are required to be there you are entited to be paid for it. Are you on a salary or are you paid by the hour? Are you considered an "independent contractor" by some chance?

Jan 31, 2013, 08:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Again, it may depend on what country you are in. But in general, if you are required to be there you are entited to be paid for it. Are you on a salary or are you paid by the hour? Are you considered an "independent contractor" by some chance?
    I get paid by the hour and the locations of the meetings are very far away sometimes, I live in Colorado
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 1, 2013, 05:53 AM
    It is perfectly legal to threaten to fire someone, bosses do it every day, And basically you are considered in charge of the store I assume if you are there by yourself.

So you need to report any issue with this other employee. Note that you tell them each day where to stand.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 1, 2013, 07:05 AM
    Saying you will be fired for anything at all is legal.
    But if you are paid by the hour and aren't paid for those meetings, you have the right to submit hours on your timesheet. If you get fired after that, you are left in the tough spot of having to sue and trying to prove you were sued for that or for anything he can trump up.
    I would talk to other managers like you at those meetings to see if any of them get paid to be there (unless they all work for stores owned by the same person).
    Regardless, you might want to start seeing who else needs your skills. I'm sure you know that Radio Shack entered into an agreement with Cricket 5 months ago. But I hear that they can be really tough on employees too. Try all the wireless providers. Time for the satisfaction of quitting the next time you get yelled at.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 1, 2013, 08:31 AM
    I know this isn't really at the base of your question but I am wondering something... who is this sign spinner guy? Are you his boss? If you are in charge of him, tell him to do what he's told or you will fire him. If your boss is in charge of him, then I really can't see why your boss is blaming you... other than that your boss sounds like he's a jerk.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I received a termination letter from my employer backdated:how do I reply? [ 2 Answers ]

My employer terminated my appointment on the 3rd of August,2012 for taking permission from the administrative and academic headmasters through text message but insisted I should have called him.The letter was backdated:the date of writing was 11th August and the date he delivered it to me was 3rd...

How long time should an employer pay an employee after termination in the state of NM [ 7 Answers ]

How much time does an employer have to pay wages when an employee is terminated in the state of New Mexico.

How long does an employer have to pay an employee after termination in Texas? [ 2 Answers ]

How long does an employer have to get cobra insurance packets to an employee after termination?

Who do you call when your employer won't give you your paycheck after termination? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. My boyfriend just put in his two week notice last Friday after finding a better paying job. After six days, there was an investigation done by local detective. Nothing has been concluded so far but it did result in firing 5 people. There is no proof that any of these people did anything...

View more questions Search