Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Miss Hoyt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2013, 10:45 AM
    Difference between 4 prong and 3 prong 220v cord
    My dryer has a 4 prong plug the outlet is 3 prong. Also there is only one breaker for 220v, that is for the oven. Will I need another breaker for the dryer? And should I change the dryer cord or the outlet?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 31, 2013, 01:27 PM
    Check installation manual. If dryer can be wired using 3 prong cord it should be specified in installation manual.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2013, 02:07 PM
    First, as HK points out, the installation instructions must be reviewed for the manufacturer's requirements...

What kind of wire or cable supplies the three prong receptacle? Is it Romex or grey SE three conductor service cable?
    The electrical code says that if you "do have" an equipment grounding conductor you'll need to install a new four prong receptacle.
    If you "do not have" an equipment grounding conductor in the existing wire or cable (which means if you have SE cable) then you will need to check that the grounded service conductor is not small than #10 awg copper or #8 awg aluminum, and that this cable originates at the service panel...
    The code section is 2011 NEC Article 250.140
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jan 31, 2013, 02:10 PM
    OK, let's do this more clearly.

My dryer has a 4 prong plug the outlet is 3 prong.
    Both are still acceptable. My worry is your next statement. Is the "3-prong" receptacle for the dryer a standard 120V receptacle?

Also there is only one breaker for 220v, that is for the oven. Will I need another breaker for the dryer?
    If the only two-pole breaker is listed for the oven then you will definitely need a different circuit for the dryer.

And should I change the dryer cord or the outlet?
    Typically for an electric dryer you change the cord to match the receptacle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3-prong generator & 4-prong power cord [ 11 Answers ]

My 5kw Coleman Powermate generator has two 110v receptacles and two 220v receptacles. Both of the 220v receptacles are the 3-prong blade type. My six circuit Reliance ProTran transfer switch has the 4 prong female twist lock. Both ends of my 30amp 4-wire cord are twist lock. The end for the...

3-Prong Male to 4-Prong Female 220V [ 1 Answers ]

The wall outlet is the older 3-prong 220V, the dryer came with the modern 4-prong 220V plug. Is there a simple 3-prong male to 4-prong female converter that I can buy on the market?

How to change a3 prong cord to a 4 prong cord for an electric dryer [ 2 Answers ]

I moved into a house that has a 4 prong outlet and my dryer has a 3 prong cord, how do I go about changing the cord. I called an electrician put the job is to small for them to come. My manual only has about the where to put the neutral and the grounding wire but does not explain which screw to put...

How to change a four prong stove cord to a three prong oven cod [ 0 Answers ]

I have four prongs on my stove I need to change it to three prongs I need to know how to connect the wires

What do I do with the white wire when converting a 4-prong dryer cord to a 3-prong? [ 2 Answers ]

I moved into an older house and have a brand new Maytag Bravos dryer. I took the 4 prong cord off and there is a white wire that was installed under the middle prong of the 4 prong cord. The white wire is part of the dryer... it comes from a bunch of wires inside the dryer. I am now putting a 3...

View more questions Search