Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eugene Stark Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2013, 07:35 AM
    Stock question?
    I have 1000 shares of a stock they now tell me that the stock split back wards. And that I no longer have 1000 shares! Is this legal I have lost my faith in the stock market.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 30, 2013, 08:08 AM
    A "backwards split" (acrtually called a "reverse split") is when they reissue shares giving you fewer shares than you originally had but at a higher market value. For example if you have 1000 shares of stock with a market value of $1/share and they do a 1:10 reverse split, you end up with 100 shares values at $10 each. Note the total value of your investment is unchanged, so you haven't lost anything through the reverse split. Is it legal? Absoultely - it happens all the time. But it only happens to stock that has fallen quite a bit from its highs, so it's easy to see why yuo've lost faith. I would suggest that your loss of faith in this one company may be warranted, but that doesn't mean that stocks in general are a bad investment.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 30, 2013, 08:36 AM
    As ebaines noted a reverse split cannot lose you money at the time of the split. The company has to issue the new shares at the current value. The value of the new shares may drop immediately afterward, but that is a problem with that stock, not the stock market in general.
    samcreed Posts: 132, Reputation: 18
    -

Jan 30, 2013, 10:40 AM
    As the other two answers have said, it is legal for this to happen. The stock market, in general, has gained much since the last few years. Please be sure to have your investments diversified, in that some is in stocks and some in other areas... as the old saying goes, "don't put all your eggs in one basket"... Good luck.

PS; Make a call and see what your stock is now worth. Whoever informed you of the reverse split, will know what the value currently is and how many shares you now have.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help me in this question.stock valuation [ 0 Answers ]

Jan 01 6000units @1.5 each 2000 @2.5 each Jan 24 3500 @2 each 1500 @2.8 Jan25 1000 @2.5 500 @3 Opening inventory is 1000 units @1 per unit Selling expenses $2000. Calculate net profit using FIFI and AVCO

Stock Related Question [ 4 Answers ]

When you see for example: Portugal Telecom SGPS (ADR) (Public, NYSE:PT) What does ADR stand for? It says that: Currency in USD. What is the Tax on A foreign dividend stock?

Question on Common stock [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question on transaction for common stock If I have 10,000 shares of $10 par value common stock,Authorized and outstanding.Company wants to call in the $10 par value stock and replace each share with two shares of new $5 par value common stock issue. This transaction will increase 1....

View more questions Search