Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starryisandskys Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2013, 09:36 PM
    Verbal Lease Agreement
    My boyfriend and I had a verbal agreement with our current room mate that we would finish the lease with her. Neither of us are on the lease. After I started seeing a counselor, it was determined that a large portion of my anxiety came from our living arrangement. It was an unhealthy situation for me. Explaining this to her, we gave her a thirty day notice detailing our intent to leave. She is now threatening to take us to small claims court. I'm just wondering if she has a case. It was my understanding that since we aren't on the lease and nothing was in writing, it was a month-to-month lease. We live in Arizona. Thank you in advance for any information you're able to give!
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 29, 2013, 09:51 PM
    Here is the pertinent statute of frauds in Arizona:

"44-101. Statute of frauds

No action shall be brought in any court in the following cases unless the promise or agreement upon which the action is brought, or some memorandum thereof, is in writing and signed by the party to be charged, or by some person by him thereunto lawfully authorized:

6. Upon an agreement for leasing for a longer period than one year, or for the sale of real property or an interest therein. Such agreement, if made by an agent of the party sought to be charged, is invalid unless the authority of the agent is in writing, subscribed by the party sought to be charged."

At the time you made the agreement, was the remaining portion of the lease longer than one year? If so, it would not be enforceable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a verbal lease agreement binding [ 4 Answers ]

My land lord forced me out of my place of residence no 30 days notice it's a verbal agreement to live there he assaulted me and threw me into a wall I left without making a police report and all my stuff is inside the house some of the things besides my personal belongings we are co owners of what...

Verbal Sub-Lease agreement enforceable? [ 1 Answers ]

In the fall of 2008, I entered into a lease agreement with four other people. That contract was in writing with a real-estate firm. Before any payment was due (apart from the initial security deposit) I decided not to go to school in the area and officially was marked off the lease. I told another...

Amended lease with verbal agreement [ 1 Answers ]

I gave notice on September 4th that I would not be renewing the lease for my apartment. This was well within the 60 days notice that the complex requires. About a week ago someone at the management office for my apartment complex called me and asked if I would be willing to change the date to...

Written lease w/ verbal agreement [ 4 Answers ]

Duval county, Fl The house we rented was originally $1400.00 w/ yard service. We signed a lease for $1200.00 per mo. & agreed to take care of the yard. This was 10/15/06. Gave a $500.00 security deposit. Aug. '07 we went out of town & the grass grew. We came home from work one day, & someone...

Verbal Lease after written lease agreement - Florida [ 6 Answers ]

I had a signed lease with my renter from March 2006 to October 2006. In September he failed to pay rent due to him trying to get his son from Social Services. We verbally agreed to extend the lease to a month to month basis and him adding an additional $50.00 per month to make up for Septembers...

View more questions Search