Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vanessa39 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2013, 04:37 PM
    Bad Luck
    My string of bad luck has been going on for four years.

It started with my sweet and beautiful daughter having a brain tumor and being terribly sick for three years. This was a horrible time in my life and for my daughter. It was a living nightmare. I am eternally lucky now that my daugther has been much better for the past six months, but I still don't see light at the end of the tunnel. My house has become extremely messy because I am so emotionally low and depressed. I wish a fairy would wave a magic wand and make life easier.

When my daughter was sick I was unable to work as my daughter had seizures everyday, many hospital appointments and needed full attention. Therefore, I studied when I could online to get my teaching degree. Which I did in March 2012.

I have been trying to get a teaching job, but no one wants to hire me. Also, last weekend my diamond fell out of my engagement ring. My husband works seven days per week but doesn't get paid overtime. He is also paid poorly due to the boss being less than generous. He feels stuck in his job.

I have never received any help from family as my family is disjointed and not willing to help. So my husband and I have had to go alone.

I am trying to turn things around and applied for 107 jobs in the past six months. I constantly update my portfolio and completed additionally training in EAL.

What can I do to make my life happy!!

Thank you, Vanessa.
    eMiLy002 Posts: 77, Reputation: 2

Jan 29, 2013, 04:52 PM
    Try and enjoy life a bit more and maybe have a relax day to clear your mind of all the bad things that have happened and just chill, try to have more fun, enjoy every hour of your life and don't think about the bad things just focus on the good things I hope this helped just tell me if it didn't I'm here to help :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 29, 2013, 04:54 PM
    I don't see you having "bad luck" at all! What I see is that you now have a much healthier daughter than you did years ago. She's alive isn't she?

I also see that you struggled and actually GOT your teaching degree. Do you know how many people wouldn't have the strength to do that?

What I see is negativity on your part rather than "bad luck." Negativity is really toxic to all members of your family. Much more toxic than that brain tumor your daughter suffered from.

But there is a bright side. Negative people CAN become positive people. While it may seem hard, look at the hurdles you have already overcome. It can't be as hard as what you have accomplished already.

Teaching positions are hard to come by. I come from a long line of teachers. Have you checked with any of the homeschooling groups in your area? Many would love to have a licensed teacher leading their kids. It would also help build your resume.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 29, 2013, 05:26 PM
    Yes I agree, I see good luck, a daughter that is still alive, a husband that is not cheating or running around but one that is working hard.
    You got a chance to get a college degree.

Not sure where you are at, and what degree it is, but for most you have to get a teaching license from the state, did you qualify for that ? Or is there other work, like internship still needed ?

But if you can not get on at a school, apply other places, I will be honest 100 resumes in 6 months is almost nothing, ( sorry) most jobs have several hundred applications. How many are you following up with letters or even personal visits if needed.

And what about other non teaching jobs, many areas like people with teaching degrees, That was one of the main degrees my last place of work looked for, when they hired customer service people for our medical supply company.

** over time, if he is not a salary employee, they have to by law pay overtime ( in US)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 29, 2013, 05:38 PM
    You have been through a lot and should be kind of down, but let gratitude be your attitude as your family has much to celebrate, you have each other, and that's more than most.

You can substitute while something permanent comes up, or some volunteer work if you have time. Stay busy, stay active, and things will get better. Maybe you have neglected your own health through this? Correct that.
    Vanessa39 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2013, 06:51 PM
    Thank you all for your time and kind comments:

eMiLy002 I will try to focus on the positives and enjoy what life offers. I'm substituting, but there are so many teachers around at the moment, so there's not much work around.

J_9 Great point 'toxic negativity'. I am trying really hard to keep positive. I am very lucky my husband is loyal, yes, I must appreciate him more.

Fr_Chuck That's a good point -- only going for 100 jobs. I went for all the teaching jobs within 40miles, but yes, I do need to expand my job seeking areas. I'm going to start right now!! Maybe I need to let go of my teaching ambitions and work in other areas.

talaniman I love your 'let gratitude be your attitude' quote. Great mindset. I do volunteer at night time and provide literacy education to refugees, which I love. It makes me feel good. I just wish I could get a paying job. I need to be more active in some constructive way.

Again, I appreciate your time and effort to respond to my request for help. Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In a problem with bad luck. [ 1 Answers ]

I am 21 and in college.. I don't know what the real problem is but things just work in my favour at all. High school was tough then I droped a year and then a year later I joined college and till date I have not been able to tell my friends about it because somewhere I'm embarrassed about it and I...

Bad luck [ 7 Answers ]

I really need some advice/help,my life is a living nightmare it's like I have the worst luck ever and it's not getting better just worst,I can't seem to do nothing right and not one good thing I can say about my life,now I have always believed in witch doctors,psychics,spells,etc (however you want...

BAd luck+ Wheelchairs [ 6 Answers ]

My grandmother is in the hospital recovmering from surgery and all the seats in her room where taken. So I sat in her wheel chair, and I got curious about it and I started like rolling around in the Wheelchair. My mother and my friend both told me that it is bad luck to be in a wheel chair...

Bad luck, bad karma, or bad self-esteem? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently heard once again a comment I've heard many, MANY times over the past several years: "You and your husband have worse luck than anyone else I know!" and I have one question: "Why is that?" You see, just about the time we get to the point we can manage to keep up on all our monthly...

View more questions Search