Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PetraFin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2013, 01:16 PM
    Ex Boyfriend claiming money
    I date this man for 1 1/2 years. We never lived together. He and I spent time together fixing up my house - remove wallpaper, paint, landscape, clean garage, etc). I never asked him to do any of these things but we were in love and shared our time together and he chose to spend this time with me. He also occasionally left cash for groceries as I prepared the meals whenever he come to my house. I most often declined the money but when I was cooking for his family and friends, I would accept it.

When we broke up (I chose to end the relationship), he then demanded gifts and money as payment for his labour and any materials he provided at my house. I gave him back all the jewlery he gave me (even though I wasn't required to) because I hoped he would end his demands and move forward with his life.

Since then (a few months later), I recewived a letter from a lawyer stating my ex would like payment in excess of $16,000 for labour (of which many hours were mine) and materials to do work around my house. He always said they were gifts and my friends are witness to this. He doesn't have any receipts nor did I sign any contract for him to do any work at my house. We were in a relationship and we chose to work together on projects, both at his house and mine. I know legally he shouldn't have claim to anything but what do you think?

Thank you.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 29, 2013, 01:24 PM
    I doubt that he can really get anything out of you. Nothing was signed, he has no receipts, you were both dating.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 29, 2013, 05:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PetraFin
    I know legally he shouldn't have claim to anything but what do you think?
    I think you are right. He has no case.

Please understand how the law profession works. If someone pays me money to write a demand letter, and if there is a semblance of a claim, I might write the letter. But, if push comes to shove, that doesn't mean that I will actually file suit in court. If I were to do so, I would ask for a large sum up front.

We get similar questions in this forum a lot. I don't think he has any kind of a case, based upon what you have shared with us.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 29, 2013, 05:55 PM
    So you hire an attorney to write him back, they tell him in nice legal terms to >>>> off.

If he wants to sue, then you go to court where he has to prove it was a loan.
    PetraFin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2013, 06:16 PM
    Thank you all kindly for your advice.

I've opted not to respond to him or his lawyer (at the advice of my friends) as it seems he is looking for a reaction from me and/or a way to exert power over me. I am not a confrontational person and actually ended the relationship due to his continued explosive & controlling behaviour when drunk and the effect it had on my children and I.

I had hoped not engaging in any communication it would lessen his interest and that he would divert his attention elsewhere.

I am relieved to hear you believe he hasn't a rightful claim although he may proceed with his intent to file in court as a way to keep me somehow connected to him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes / Claiming Awarded Money [ 6 Answers ]

I recently sued a previously employer for discrimination and prior to going to court to we came to a “reconciliation agreement“ and no further judgments. Do I have to pay taxes on this money? If so, it considered part of my “normal” income?

Claiming money [ 2 Answers ]

I dj I had 2 jobs one paid $400.0 and the other $450.00 the company that hirerd me had me fill out I believe it was a w4 in order to get paid do I need to claim this on my taxes no money was withheld whot do I need to do before I file my taxes?

Previous Landlord Claiming I Owe Money and is Suing [ 2 Answers ]

I moved out of a townhouse and I gave the landlord my notice to move on may 1st so I could move out on June 30th so this covers the 60 days required. The landlord refused to sign our copy of the letter stating that he had to process it through the rental company and we would get a copy later. He...

How much money can someone receive by claiming head of house hold. [ 3 Answers ]

I need to know how much money can one receive for claiming head of house hold.

View more questions Search