Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hoch1234 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2013, 01:12 PM
    Taxes taken from pension check
    Is there a suggested amount of taxes to be taken out of pension check when u claim single and no dependents check will amout to $4000 per month
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 29, 2013, 01:21 PM
    Depends on what other income you may have - investments, other wages, etc. - and what deductions or credits you may be entitled to. But if your total income is from this pension - amounting to $48K/year - and you don't itemize then your total federal tax bill will be about $5600/year. If you have them withhold about $470 per month for federal taxes, or 12% of the payment, you would be fine. Don't forget about any state/local income tax you may have to pay as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you get widows pension at 60 and still get your disability check too? [ 1 Answers ]

I was told that I can get widows pension at age 60, but I am already receiving full disability right now, so can you get both at one time? If so, I was wondering how much?

Pension money exempt from US taxes? [ 5 Answers ]

I live overseas and have done for 33 years. All my pension and SS money was paid for overseas. I use to get exemption from 2555 and 1116 forms, however I do not think this covers me after retirement?

How to file taxes when paid by check but employer did not withhold taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I work for a small business and they do not have me on the "books" - meaning they are not paying pay roll taxes or deducting taxes from my paycheck. They pay me every two weeks by check. I'm worried now I have been here for a year and it's time to file my taxes. I do not have a W2 form with them...

Pension /social security taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I am 56 years old. I plan on retiring at 60 from lockheed martin. Do I have to pay any taxes on my pension amount? Do I pay 85% on SS amounts in excess of $44,000 (married,file jointly)? Thanks for your help.

View more questions Search