Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stoutshauling Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2013, 12:54 AM
    Help with getting a hauling business started
    I am wanting to start a small hauling business hauling livestock,cars and trucks,
    And farm and some heavy equipment.. I need to figure out what I need to get this done. I'm only using a 1ton pickup with trailers, nothing bigger unless the business gets bigger..
    I need to know what I need,what I need to do, if there is anything I have to do
    (like classes) to haul what I plan to haul.. I already know I need a DOT officer to check out my equipment, just need to know all of what I need to get started..
    I'm in West Virginia,later on when I get everything going money wise I'm moving to Colorado or Wyoming.. what all do I need all together?
    Thanks
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 29, 2013, 02:19 AM
    Assuming that you won't have employees, you are a sole proprietor. All you need is a license number from your state. You can file taxes as yourself or as yourself dba (doing business as) a name, and just use your SSN. You keep track of expenses so that you can deduct them on Schedule C. You will owe self-employment tax on Schedule SE. You will then enter the results on a 1040. State tax, similar, but different for each state.

You could see if your town requires a local business permit, different from the state license. Many times you can operate a small business without one as long as nothing changes, and clients aren't on your property. But if you start buying more equipment, you should, or neighbors can get you in trouble. Many people avoid this part if their street doesn't allow for business. So ask hypothetically.
    stoutshauling Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2013, 09:29 AM
    Well I live behind my grandfather he has a excavating business so I highly dougt any will care.. lol and no I won't have employees,there will be a friend or 2 help here and there but they won't be a employee..
    Thanks you for the info
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 29, 2013, 10:45 AM
    Just beware that all the little guys operating a small business starting and subbing a friend or two here and there (on 1099's) can usually get by without any trouble, but if something does happen (injury to them or others), it will wipe out everything you've got, because they won't have their own General Liability Insurance. You can pay them cash but then can't expense it very easily, or if you try, and get audited, that's trouble. Even if you pay them cash they can sue you as can the gov't. And so on. So it's all a risk. Some small companies pay them as subs, give them a 1099, and pay their Workmen's Comp. That covers almost all the requirements.
    No matter how you start, once you move from little jobs for local people with no license, no DOT, no insurance, no comp, it's a big leap and it does cost. So you have to charge more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Just started my own cleaning business [ 3 Answers ]

I finally did it and started my own cleaning business. I incorporated the name, purchased insurance, made business cards and flyers. Now I want to get licensed. Where do I go and how much does it usually cost? I live in Illinois

S Corporation - One business sold and bought (started) a new business [ 0 Answers ]

My friend (an owner of S corporation) closed her old restaurant in Apr and bought/started a new restaurant in June. She was not able to sell the old restaurant. What kind of journal entry should she make?

I was hauling my camping trailer this weekend and it started swaying really bad. I... [ 1 Answers ]

I was hauling my camping trailer this weekend and it started swaying really bad. I currently do not have a sway bar installed and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

I hv started sub-brokership business. How to prepare business details? [ 8 Answers ]

Dear All, I hv started new sub brokership business in my locality, to get finance for my business I applied to one of the institute but they told me.. we need the your business details. To convince them how to prapare business details what all things I need to mention? Help. Rgrds, Sameer

Started our Own Business [ 7 Answers ]

Hello I'm new to this site. Myself and husband started our own Janitorial Company and have been trying to get it off the ground, we had a web page done passed out flyers door to door did two cleaning jobs half price and still nothing, can you please give us answer on how to get this company off the...

View more questions Search