Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    db10973 Posts: 2, Reputation: -1

Jan 26, 2013, 07:50 PM
    New York states statute of limitations on credit cards
    I got a call the other day from a collecter saying I had opened a card in 2002 and its was closed in 2004 they said balance was $4500 would take 1 time payment of $2593, then the guy told me he might be able to get me a hardship case in which $600 would make it as if it was paid in full, I was obv very skeptical, I did a little research and saw the statute was 6 years in NY, I was never served papers to go to court prior to the 6 years being up, an I'm almost positive there is no judgement on me for that card so therefore I think I'm in the clear I was told if I got court papers show up and tell the judge it's a "time barred" matter meaning the staute has expired, does anyone know if this is accurate?? I read it on a state based web site, an when the collector called back to see if I was going to send the $600 an I mentioned my recent findings he sounded a bit razzled and also lightly upset, if anyone knows if this is true of somewhat true PLEASE let me know A.S.A.P. thank you
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 26, 2013, 10:05 PM
    They want you to make a payment, then guess what the statue of limitation starts all over again, since you made a payment or had a activity on it.

Also collection people may call and try to collect for the next 50 years or until you die if they want, you will always OWE the money, they just can not sue you in court for the money after the SOL is passed.

This is common procedure for some of the collection firms that buys junk debt for about 1 to 10 cents on the dollar, they hope that maybe 5 or 6 people out of that 100 people will send them some money,
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 27, 2013, 06:49 AM
    so therefore I think I'm in the clear
    A debt NEVER expires. However, the ability of a creditor to use legal means to collect on that debt does expire. And it would appear that has happened in your case. So if they try to take you to court, you can use the SOL defense to have the suit dropped.

If you did decide to settle, make sure you get it in writing that the payment would be paid in full before you give them anything. As Chuck noted, any payment could start the SOL again.

From an ethical standpoint you are not in the clear. You borrowed this money and therefore you owe will owe it for the balance of your lifetime. By defaulting on this loan you have passed the burden for your debt on to the rest of your fellow citizens. Other people who have cards from the same issuer are paying higher rates due to your default. The carrier also probably took a charge off the amount so that they paid less taxes transferring the tax burden to others. No man is an island in this world, anything you do affects other people however minimally. {getting off soapbox}
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2013, 04:09 PM
    Also... the creditor can legally keep this on the debtors credit reports essentially forever and the banks will probably refuse to extend any further credit as long as it remains unpaid. Even without going to court.

Yes my wife works in a bank and that's an immediate kiss of death on a loan or credit application. Even in credit unions.

They see that you screwed someone else and they assume you will likely screw them too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Petty Larceny Statute of Limitations in New York [ 5 Answers ]

If a person has not been charged as of yet for petty larceny in the state of New York but there is an investigation underway, how long do the investigators have to complete the investigation. The investigator knows I am a single mom, have no money for a lawyer and are trying to get me to admit to a...

Statute of Limitations for Check Fraud in 4 different states. [ 2 Answers ]

A close friend of mine wrote fraudulent checks in several U.S. states in 1997 and 1998; most of these checks were under a few hundred dollars. The total was under $5000 for all states. In 1998 he was arrested in one of the states for one of the checks which was under $200; He posted bail...

What is the statute of limitations on an auto loan in New York [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm really confused and not sure exactly what I should do. Back in 1997, I co-signed an auto loan for a family member who then defaulted and the car was repossessed. Years later a credit company, Cavalry Portfolio, bought the debt and in 2007 obtained a default judgment. I never received notice...

Statute of limitations on a credit card debt in New York and chapter 13 [ 2 Answers ]

What is the statute of limitations on a credit card law suit and what is the influence of chapter 13 bancruptcy on the statute Does the statute extend if somebody was in chapter 13 bancruptcy for 2 years in the meantime which failed

View more questions Search