Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sayala0729 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2013, 11:03 AM
    Do I have case for unsafe work environment?
    I worked for a company where I was constantly being harassed by the employees they would go use my bathroom, and spread human feces around the toilet, they would take my food out of the refrigerator,they would spill soda on my desk, they would call me names " purto rican bicth", they would take photos of themselves wearing females brass and take picture of themselves which I would have to look at when I were to upload the photos and they would take photos of a technician taking a dump in a bucket, completely naked form the waste down. MY boss would make me work in the office when the sewage will back up in the bathroom, it would smell so bad for 3-4 days and he would refuse to let me work from home, it was so bad that I would get a headache and when I went to the chiropractor to get treated for the headache I got into an accident, on my way back to work.

I was so stressed out I develop a drinking problem, I was drinking everyday, I could not deal with the stress at work. I told my boss if he did not do something I was going to get an attorney, he turned around and fired me for stealing money, which is not true, he set me up to get fired, the man who was harassing me quit his job. Do I have a case?

Thanks
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 26, 2013, 11:38 AM
    All such cases are very difficult and often take years to resolve, and don't usually get you anything like money or your job back. There is no easy place to start either - dept of labor, OSHA, hire a private lawyer for a lot of money?
    If you want to get back at them, call the health department about the bathroom.
    The pictures? No way. You didn't have to download them.
    Taking your food? Even Wall Street brokers steal each other's food.
    Spill soda? Nope, too isolated, no proof, not serious sounding.
    Feces around toilet? If you didn't take pictures, it's your word against theirs.
    Sewage backup, you could have called the Health Dept.
    Accident on way back with headache? No, you have no proof it was related.
    Drinking problem? ABSOLUTELY not. I've worked in some horrendous conditions and didn't drink. I quit.
    See that's the problem - you could have just quit. If it were a gov't job, you'd have all sorts of recourse, but a private employer, you quit. You have a lawsuit if something happened you couldn't foresee, like you inhaled chemicals or a fire exit was blocked.
    The best I can see is a call to the Health Dept just to get them in trouble, but for all you know they are already paying the inspectors off.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 26, 2013, 11:50 AM
    No you don't have a case for unsafe work environment. But you may have a case for sexual harassment and discrimination. See an attorney and show him what proof you have and they can tell you if you have enough for a case.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2013, 11:59 AM
    You do have to be able to substantiate any charges you file. Sounds like there are some elements of sexual harassment in at least some of their actions and that is one of the elements of sexual discrimination, which might be subject to investigation by the Equal Opportunity Employment Commission (EEOC), if you are in the U.S.
    I have heard but never been able to determine for sure, that the EEOC only handles cases where more than 15 employees are employed.
    Maybe some of the other employees would act as witnesses now that the main troublemaker is gone?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unsafe work environment [ 3 Answers ]

I work for A City Government and have been forced to work in a bldg. that does not pass International Building Codes on Plumbing,Fire and Building. It has only one egress , no operable bathrooms and has no Fire ext. Would this be considered a unsafe work environment? I have already filed a...

Unsafe work environment law- Hawaii [ 1 Answers ]

I work in a homeless shelter and I feel it is very vital to keep staff and member in a safe environment. A new rule was put into place were the "member" who has violated a rule of the shelter will be notified immediatately by a "shelter lead". Example: I see a rule violation as I walk pass...

Unsafe working environment [ 3 Answers ]

I am wondering if I've been in a unsafe working environment.Today I got into a dispute with a fellow coworker and he threatened to punch me in the face.I got upset afterwards and walked out.I did say a few things on way out but nothing any worse than he said to me before and I got fired and nothing...

What constitutes an "unsafe work environment"? [ 7 Answers ]

My company is currently experiencing severe issues with power problems (caused at least partially by the local energy company). This has resulted in power surges, power losses, and "brown outs". It has also caused us to lose air conditioning in much of our building. My office is an...

UPS unsafe work practices [ 3 Answers ]

Someone tell me how one of the riches companies in the world is able with the aid of the union to make their truck mechanics work with broken tools, no truck lifts(taking out and replacing a trans is pretty difficult to do on a creeper) no tire trucks(they have to jack the truck up as if it were a...

View more questions Search