Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sonnyhiatt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2013, 09:56 AM
    Violation or not?
    I was recently fired because they said I violated hippa laws. I'm a LPN and I sometimes carry a recorder to review physicians instructions if I have questions later. My co workworkers went through my desk and listed to my recordings and gave it to the administrator who said that she heard patients voices in the background and that was a hippa violation. No names were used and the recorder never left the office. Is this a violation like they are claiming?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2013, 10:20 AM
    It's HIPAA, not HIPPA.

I don't understand - you were tape recording Physicianss without their knowledge (a crime in some States) but were fired for violating HIPAA laws? Recording people without their knowledge is not a violation of HIPAA to the best of my knowledge.

Employment is pretty much om the terms of the employer unless you have a contract or union. You can be fired for something or nothing. Quite frankly I find the recordings to be shocking.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 26, 2013, 11:54 AM
    This sounds very iffy, but if you were recording anyone without their permission, that could have been enough to fire you and they just used HIPAA as an excuse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

Violation of Probation, Maryland Shoplifting PBJ/Violation due to Urine Test [ 1 Answers ]

My 18 year old niece was arrested three times within a week for shoplifting. The first was under $200 worth of electronics she was stopped with before leaving the store, A few days later, she was caught stealing small items totaling under $20 from two stores in a shopping mall. This resulted in 2...

Second violation but first formal probation violation sentencing [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend was violated on informal probation and sentenced 30 days. Now he's on formal probation and was violated. What will he be sentenced?

Maryland violation of probation time limits to file violation [ 2 Answers ]

I was given 5 yrs of probation during which I violated the terms by not paying restituion as indicated . I could not pay for financial reasons and a violation was filed and I was found guilty. The judge sentenced me to 6 months jail and said that I would have only 6 months left after I got out to...

View more questions Search