Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rurumomee Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2013, 07:28 PM
    Hi all,
    The vent cleaners were here yesterday and solved the issue. It turned out that the connection between the duct inside the house and the part outside in the water heater shack (that housed the part that the plumber replaced) was bad. It wasn't connected fully. Vent cleaner said that the plumber didn't check it properly after he replaced the part. So, the hot air and moisture was blowing into the walls and causing the smell.

I'm uploading the photo to show you that part. Vent cleaner says to put expanding foam around the duct, which I'll do over the weekend.

Plumber charge: $3000
    Vent cleaner: $140 (and basically redid some of the work plumber did)

Thanks again for all your advice! This is a great forum.
    Attached Images

mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 7, 2013, 07:35 PM
    Hey, thanks for the update. And kudos to the cleaners. And shame shame shame shame on the plumber (I wouldn't have the guts to call them a plumber, but that's just me, he he).

3000 bucks, for what? I hate to say it, but you got ripped.
    At the very least, I would never call that plumbing company again.

Feb 7, 2013, 11:22 PM
    I'm sure I did. It started as less than half of that amount but after the gas pipe replacement and dryer/water heater duct replacement work, it ballooned into that much money. Didn't help that these guys calculate labor in a rather unethical way. I (nor any of my family or friends) will not be giving them any business ever again, that's for sure!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 8, 2013, 06:46 AM
    Thanks for telling us the end of the story. I'm very sorry but unless the plumber ran you a new gas line, you got cheated and cheated big time. The duct repair was handyman work and apparently he can't do that properly.

Sorry we couldn't find it.

Finding a good, honest, tradesman can be difficult. They are out there, in fact most are. You just have to find them. I wish there was some reliable method but I don't think there is one. To say get 3 estimates is a great lip service but for these kinds of things is often not practical. Word of mouth is the best reference. My suggestion would be to find a good handyman and keep him close. If necessary pay him to be your consultant.

I would have never touched your gas line but would have probably suggested some one.

Find him now buy asking around, before you need him.

Feb 8, 2013, 10:48 AM
    Thank you. Ironically, I was referred to this family-run plumbing company (who's been in business for 40+ years) by a handyman, who in turn was referred to me by a family friend. I was excited to get a handyman referral, so I was thinking about employing him for various fixes around the house but with this plumber experience, I'm now on the fence...

Anyway, thanks again to all and please keep the advice coming, for those of us who are not in the business and really need expert advice!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What length dryer duct can I use on a kenmore soft run dryer? [ 1 Answers ]

What length dryer duct can I use on a kenmore soft run dryer?

Air duct smell [ 1 Answers ]

We have forced air heating system in our home. A couple of years ago we had the Ducts cleaned because we were putting in an air conditioning system. After I couldn't stand the musty smell from coming from the vents. We had some of the duct work In the basement replaced. We couldn't replace...

Awful Smell - Plumbing, Air duct [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into our current house about a year ago (April 08). Last summer we noticed a sewage smell coming from the upstairs bathrooms. It was worst in the guest room bathroom, which we never used anyway. Over the winter, it seemed to go away so we did nothing. This summer, as the...

Professional duct and dryer vent cleaning - worth it? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I have just moved into in with my mother and our house is 30+ years old. I do not think the ducts have ever been cleaned, nor has the dryer vent. For those who clean their ducts and dryer vent: do you DIY (I've seen kits being sold online to clean dryer vents - not so much...

Sewage smell in air duct [ 1 Answers ]

We have a horrible sewage smell coming from air vent in living room Its not the toilets as we have a clean out above ground and checked all the toilets. Its only in one vent in the living room.

View more questions Search