Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lacy42 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2013, 04:40 PM
    How many drinks for positive peth
    Never heard of the Peth test was wondering how many drinks it would take to get a positive peth test. Some say as little as 6 drinks others say more over 14 drinks.
    Some say a lot more what is correct answer. And does it have to be drinks each day over 6-7 days in a row with up to 3 weeks prior to test.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 25, 2013, 04:47 PM
    There is no answer. Each person has a different metabolism, body type, body size, and processes alcohol at different rates. Therefore, there is no set limit for everyone, it all depends on the individual.
    lacy42 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2013, 07:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    There is no answer. Each person has a different metabolism, body type, body size, and processes alcohol at different rates. Therefore, there is no set limit for everyone, it all depends on the individual.
    Would they not have to be some kind of standard to show what would make it a positive test what is the level that would make it positive
    KD3 Posts: 14, Reputation: 5

Jan 27, 2013, 05:31 PM
    Alty is right -- there is no set answer.

For one thing, the number of drinks depends on how far before the test they were consumed as well as other factors such as metabolism and the person's pattern of drinking. From my understanding, the Peth test looks more at total quantity consumed so if a person drank only a few drinks (1-3) every single day (but not drinking to excess) that person could conceivably exceed the limit as much as a person who had drank 15 drinks in a single binge for that week.

Likewise, a person who drank daily or binged a few times might show up positive many weeks since their last drink. While many references on the web about professional studies say that the test will indicate positive for "2-3 weeks", in reality the test shows alcohol consumption sometimes ranging 4-6 weeks back!! (Some other postings on this site and some studies show that heavy drinkers exiting rehab programs tested positive well over a month later.) I was personally recently tested over three weeks later after some moderate binging only a couple of days a week and came back positive! (See my postings from my user-name.)

If a person only drank a few drinks in a single sitting (maybe up to the six you mentioned), I imagine it would still show positive for at least two, maybe three weeks depending on metabolism, etc.

From my understanding, a single drink or two might still fail the test but more in the 1-2 week timeframe, depending on other factors.

The bottom line is... this is a VERY sensitive and invasive test. It is also new and a lot still has to be learned on exactly how it detects different patterns of drinking. If you are in a monitoring program that uses EtG urine or Peth tests, you are dodging a bullet every time you try to "game the system" by drinking. It's just not worth it. Ask yourself... do I want to pay the consequences of failing this test just for those drinks?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Peth test [ 0 Answers ]

I am looking for some advice from an expert in the field. Peth Testing. Little known and documented about it. Well what I have read has been vague and varies from article to article. I am looking for current information on the test. How much alcohol has to be consumed to have a positive peth test?...

Positive PEth [ 0 Answers ]

I have a positive PEth test after drinking 15 beers in a three day period 14 days prior to test. I fell off the wagon, after long sobriety. I thought two weeks would be okay, why would it be positive?

3-4 standard drinks, PEth test? [ 5 Answers ]

I was told that I wouldn't be subjected to EtG or PEth tests, but I am curious and always cautious... after multiple weeks of not drinking (I just don't drink), I had ~4 Coors Light 12oz bottles of beer on a Thursday night. At 4.2% EtOH, I calculated this to be about 50g of alcohol, or about...

View more questions Search