Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobbybh Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2013, 12:47 PM
    Father Visitation Right
    I had a girl living with me she got pregnet and moved out. Well she had the baby and never contacted me. And she gave temp custody to her mom. Well her mom won't let me see the baby. So the daughter sneaks the baby to see me. Now the mother found out so she won't let her daughter she the baby so I can't see my son. What do I need to do. I should have more right then the grandma??
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 25, 2013, 12:49 PM
    Have you been to court for custody yet? Are you paying child support? Are you on the birth certificate?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 25, 2013, 01:51 PM
    First, you do have rights. But sneaking around is not going to endear you to the courts.

As soon as grandma said you can't see the baby, you should have gone to court for visitation.

But you left a lot out of this story. First, where is this, laws vary. Second, did you sign an acknowledgment of paternity or the birth certificate? Did you know she was pregnant? Did you not try to find what happened?

Generally a father has more rights than a grandparent, but you have to go to court to enforce those rights and, at this point, you will have to convince a court that the child is better off with you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 25, 2013, 09:06 PM
    Let me see

Rights,
    To establish paternity though the courts if you are not listed on the birth certificate.
    Right?
    To set up proper visitation with the child though a court order.
    Right?
    To even file for custody of the child, or partial or joint custody

You have lots of rights, just are not going about getting them

Jan 26, 2013, 07:28 AM
    This is in nc. Well I heard from her friends that she was pregnet after she left. I was not around when she had the baby so I didn't get to sign no papers. But were good friends now and she want me to have the baby.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 26, 2013, 07:33 AM
    So you knew this child to be yours and you did nothing? Go Monday and file. Don't be surpized if you don't get full custody as it seems your child isn't that important to you.

The courts will decide what is best for the child. As well as how much child support is going to be paid.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 26, 2013, 08:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbybh
    I had a girl livin with me she got pregnet and moved out. well she had the baby and never contacted me. and she gave temp custody to her mom. well her mom wont let me see the baby. so the daughter sneeks the baby to see me. now the mother found out so she wont let her daughter she the baby so i can't see my son. what do i need to do.? I should have more right then the grandma????
    How old was the mother when you got her pregnant (preg-nant)? If she was under the age of consent, you might be guilty of statutory rape.

Jan 26, 2013, 08:18 AM
    She was 26.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2013, 09:50 AM
    She wanted you to have the baby? We aren't talking about puppies here - go to Court (as everyone else has said).

She's 26 with a baby and her mother controls her - and your - lives?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 26, 2013, 11:44 AM
    So you "heard" she was pregnant? But you didn't contact her, weren't there to help with the pregnancy, haven't acknowledged the child or paid any support. Where were you when custody was awarded to the grandmother?

But the bottomline here is you NEED to go to court, establish paternity and petition for visitation.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 26, 2013, 11:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    .... Where were you when custody was awarded to the grandmother?...
    I'm not sure that custody was awarded. OP says that "... she gave temp custody to her mom ...", but my guess is that means the grandmother, being a stronger personality, simply took the child and the mother hasn't challenged it.

Jan 26, 2013, 12:52 PM
    Heard she was pregnet 4 months after she left. She had been with 5 guys.she didn't have a phone and was jumping from person to person. I bought cloths for him and sent them to him. I was told his grandma threw them away ($400.00 worth of cloths) I didn't know anything about the baby until he was 4 months old and she finally decide to bring him to see me.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2013, 01:07 PM
    The advice remains the same - go to Court, prove you are the father, pay support and/or get custody/visitation.

And, again, it's pregnant. You are spelling it wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father Visitation Right in Florida [ 3 Answers ]

Visitation is set for 6 months supervised visits as frequent as allowed by Yana, which is a state agency in Florida, 6 months will be up in a few weeks. In the 6mths of visits only seen my son 5 times do to every time he comes to the visits he crys and says he does not want to see me the next 6...

Father visitation [ 8 Answers ]

My sons "father" hasent excercised visitation for 6 yrs and now he's in jail so when he gets out it will be 7 yrs h e owes me over 8,000 in support. Can I have his rights revoked? My son is 12 and wants nothing to do with him. His family is threatening making him exercise his visitation rights when...

Prevent father from visitation [ 1 Answers ]

I am in Ohio.What are the laws on abandonment here.Like my ex husband has not had anything to do with my son really since he was born,but got less when I left him.I left my ex because he banged my sons head off a floor saying the voices told him to do it.I moved to Pa,to get away from him.He was...

Visitation with father [ 2 Answers ]

I live in North Texas. My ex and I went to mediation this fall he thought that I was in contempt of court and thought I would go to jail. The mediator is a former Texas judge and told him that I would not go to jail and that I was not in contempt. Then we worked out other details but basically...

Visitation to father? Should I? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in North Texas. My ex and I went to mediation this fall he thought that I was in contempt of court and thought I would go to jail. The mediator is a former Texas judge and told him that I would not go to jail and that I was not in contempt. Then we worked out other details but basically...

View more questions Search