Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nimym Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2013, 08:31 AM
    Living on your own at 15
    Is it possible to be emancipated & not put into a home or anything like that if you have somebody 18 taking care of you? & if you do have school & a job? Would like to know.. I'm 15 by the way. I realize at 16 in canada you can choose to leave home legally, but I can't really wait
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2013, 08:33 AM
    Why can't you wait?

Jan 25, 2013, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Why can't you wait?
    I rather not say, long story anyway.
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2013, 08:37 AM
    You are going to find.. the things that seem so important to most 15 year olds mean absolutely nothing when you are a few years older...

Can't speak for Canadian law here... but in the USA... the ONLY way you are going to do it is if you are fully capable of completely supporting yourself... financially and otherwise... without help from anyone else... and then only after you proved that to the courts...

Something expensive and time consuming... that very, very few young people are capable of.

Jan 25, 2013, 08:40 AM
    You are going to find..the things that seem so important to most 15 year olds mean absolutely nothing when you are a few years older...

Can't speak for Canadian law here....but in the USA....the ONLY way you are going to do it is if you are fully capible of completely supporting yourself...financially and otherwise...without help from anyone else....and then only after you proved that to the courts....

Something expensive and time consuming....that very, very few young people are capible of.
    I'm pretty sure pregnancy, mental illnesses & my own personal happiness will still mean something when I'm older.. & sigh.. thought so, guess I'll just kick it back and wait . Thanks.
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2013, 08:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nimym View Post
    i'm pretty sure pregnancy, mental illnesses & my own personal happiness will still mean something when i'm older.. & sigh.. thought so, guess i'll just kick it back and wait . thanks.
    Life on your own is not the way you imagine it will be... its actually a pretty harsh world out there and its going to be a few more years before you will really be able to take it on... and yes three or four years at this stage of your life actually will make that big of a difference.

And also make the differnce between someone that is barely getting by... and someone who is making a comfortable living.

In a few more years you are going to really understand what I just said are more than words on a computer screen.

Jan 25, 2013, 08:58 AM
    Life on your own is not the way you imagine it will be.....its actually a pretty harsh world out there and its going to be a few more years before you will really be able to take it on.....and yes three or four years at this stage of your life actually will make that big of a difference.

And also make the differnce between someone that is barely getting by....and someone who is making a comfortable living.

In a few more years you are going to really understand what I just said are more than words on a computer screen.
    Well, I wouldn't be supporting all myself.. my sister is 18 & has 4 jobs, plus I'd get one and she'll let me live with her so.. it's hard I realize, but not as much as if I was completely on my own, I get what you're saying though.
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2013, 09:07 AM
    well, i wouldn't be supporting all myself.. my sister is 18 & has 4 jobs, plus i'd get one and she'll let me live with her so.. it's hard i realize, but not as much as if i was completely on my own, i get what you're saying though.
    If she's having to work 4 jobs to get by... the odds are a court won't give her custody of you... which would be the better approach to take than expecting emancipation... which is very different.

That would be expensive and require courts and lawyers as well.

Happiness isn't a standard to meet... what most adolescents want is rarely what good for them and in their best interests.

If there is serious abuse where you are now however... the courts would take that into consideration... but again... money and time are going to be a problem if someone is working 4 jobs.

Jan 25, 2013, 09:10 AM
    If she's having to work 4 jobs to get by...the odds are a court won't give her custody of you....which would be the better approach to take than expectin emancipation...which is very different.

That would be expensive and require courts and lawyers as well.

Happiness isn't a standard to meet.....what most adolescents want is rarely what good for them and in their best interests.

If there is serious abuse where you are now however....the courts would take that into consideration.....but again...money and time are going to be a problem if someone is working 4 jobs.
    She works 4 jobs because she has horses & such, not to get by. She has quite abit of cash..
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 25, 2013, 09:11 AM
    If you give us a summary of what you are up against, we just might be able to make some helpful suggestions. Your question comes up a lot, with teens unhappy at home for various reasons.
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2013, 09:19 AM
    she works 4 jobs because she has horses & such, not to get by. she has quite abit of cash..
    Then have her try to get custody of you through the courts if the living situation now is so bad... if she's got money and its really that bad now.. thats your best option.

I find it hard to believe an 18 year old has all that much money if they didn't inherit it. Or that they would be working 4 jobs if they didn't need it.

But then... what might seem like a lot of money at 15... really isn't much when you have to pay all the bills and stuff and find little if anything is left afterwards.

That's what I was meaning when I said life on your own isn't how you imagine it at 15. In the real world.. everyone else gets theirs before you get to have anything for yourself. And somethimes that might not be anything.. or very little for periods.

I'm telling you that because I still remember those years very well. And I remember how hard it really was for years after graduating college... and its harder for most people without a college degree.

Jan 25, 2013, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    If you give us a summary of what you are up against, we just might be able to make some helpful suggestions. Your question comes up a lot, with teens unhappy at home for various reasons.
    Well.. no type of abuse happens at home ANYMORE, it's mainly just fear of my father, he's like mentally ill & stuff, so am I.. But not in the same way, it's kind of hard to explain my situation.. there's a lot more than this.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 25, 2013, 09:23 AM
    well.. no type of abuse happens at home ANYMORE, it's mainly just fear of my father, he's like mentally ill & stuff, so am i.. but not in the same way, it's kind of hard to explain my situation.. there's alot more than this.
    Well, that helped me -- NOT!

Jan 25, 2013, 09:24 AM
    Then have her try to get custody of you through the courts if the living situation now is so bad...if she's got money and its really that bad now..thats your best option.

I find it hard to believe an 18 year old has all that much money if they didn't inherit it. Or that they would be working 4 jobs if they didn't need it.

But then...what might seem like a lot of money at 15...really isn't much when you have to pay all the bills and stuff and find little if anything is left afterwards.

Thats what I was meaning when I said life on your own isn't how you imagine it at 15. In the real world..everyone else gets theirs before you get to have anything for yourself. And somethimes that might not be anything..or very little for periods of time.

I'm telling you that because I still remember those years very well. And I remember how hard it really was for years after graduating college.....and its harder for most people without a college degree.
    Well.. I got nothing really to lose so I'll give it a shot, she can take care of me.. that's all the matters though, correct?

Jan 25, 2013, 09:25 AM
    Well, that helped me -- NOT!
    Don't have to be like that. -.-
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 25, 2013, 09:26 AM
    well.. i got nothing really to lose so i'll give it a shot, she can take care of me.. that's all the matters though, correct?
    Will your parents object if you move in with your sister? They could cause her a lot of legal trouble.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 25, 2013, 09:27 AM
    don't have to be like that. -.-
    No, and you don't either. How do you expect us to help you if you aren't honest about what you are up against?

Jan 25, 2013, 09:30 AM
    Will your parents object if you move in with your sister? They could cause her a lot of legal trouble.
    Yes, my parents hate everything & anything I do, they treat me like a psycho. Even though one of them is.. more than I am, the ways things going now, one of my family members will eventually hit me or something, my dad's been arrested for attemptive murder or something like that when I was younger
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 25, 2013, 09:32 AM
    Are you doing chores at home and are you getting good grades in school and are you polite and generally easy to get along with?

Jan 25, 2013, 09:38 AM
    Are you doing chores at home and are you getting good grades in school and are you polite and generally easy to get along with?
    No & no. & yes & yes

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filipina living in japan married to a british living in UK [ 1 Answers ]

I am a filipina living in japan on a long term visa, my husband is british living in UK. Visa process? Do I have to apply for a spouse visa in the philippines or can do it in Japan? What's quicker? Anyone know how long the process is? Any tips? Would appreciate any help Thanks!

Father living in Missouri wants to sign his rights away to his son living inTennessee [ 2 Answers ]

I'm married and have a son who's dad lives in Missouri and wants to give up his rights to his son and my husband wants to adopt him but how do I go about this do I go through Missouri or do I go through Tennessee court?

I unplugged my living room television. Now I have no power in living room. [ 2 Answers ]

I unpluged my living roon television now I have no poweer in living room

Movie of kids living in mountains alone and picking roots for living [ 1 Answers ]

Father dies and the children don't want anyone to know so they work digging roots to sale and the man that owns their house wants to marry the oldest daughter

Personal Living Residence into the Living Trust? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear, Placement of Personal Living Residence into the Living Trust? Thanks & Regards

View more questions Search