Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 24, 2013, 02:20 PM
    What Do I Need To Do For Corporation?
    My wife and I started a used car lot and we have now gotten to the point where we think it should be a corporation. Yeah, I know... spare me the lectures about how we should have started that way... we realize we should have but it's too late as we didn't do it that way.

To now make this a corporation, how much of a problem is that?
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2013, 02:38 PM
    It's not difficult but I would recommend that you get an attorney to advise you on the best type of corporation to set up. It can impact like liability issues so it's important to choose the right type of business entity.

Once you decide on the type of business entity, you have to register it with the Secretary of State in your state. Sometimes counties and cities/towns also have registration or licensing requirements. There is generally a fee.

It can also be beneficial to consult an accountant on a regular basis on your business decisions, such as how to separate the business from your personal finances. This can be important because, if the business fails or someone sues you, you will want to make your personal assets untouchable. Similarly, if you have a personal financial problem such as a personal bankruptcy, you will not want creditors to be able to go after your business' assets.

It's not a complex legal issue to consult on this type of thing, and any money you save in legal fees doing it without a lawyer are what I'd consider foolish savings - it won't be that much, and there are times in life when you want an expert. I think this is one of them.

Good luck with your business.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 24, 2013, 05:56 PM
    Really many people start as private business and latter change to corporation.

Many choices as to where to incorporate, a person does not always do it in the state they are at, but most do. Each state will have its own requirements, and normally you can find those at the Secretary of State web site for your state.

I do agree at least sitting down with an attorney and perhaps your accountant, since this will change book keeping, it will change tax structure, and many other issues.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a C-corporation buy another C-corporation shares? [ 0 Answers ]

I own a c-corporation that I want to sell; the other two individuals that want to buy my business want to do it through their current c-corporation? I did not think a c-corp could own shares of another c-corp... but I am not a laywer either. Does it matter what state I am incorporated? (By the...

Moon Corporation and Star Corporation are in the same line of business and both were [ 2 Answers ]

Moon Corporation and Star Corporation are in the same line of business and both were recently organized, so it may be assumed that the recorded costs for assets are close to current market values. The balance sheets for the two companies are as follows at July 31, 2009: MOON CORPORATION Balance...

How would I(ceo of a corporation) institutionalize ethics in the corporation. [ 2 Answers ]

Please send the answer as soon as possible. The question is - if I am a chief executive officer of a large corporation , how would I institutionalize ethics in the corporation?

A Taiwanese corporation or a Taiwan corporation [ 1 Answers ]

Which is correct: a Taiwanese corporation or a Taiwan corporation?

View more questions Search