Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jess_m10 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2013, 08:07 PM
    As a teen at 127 lbs, how to I get to 115 lbs?
    I have tried everything from counting calories to low carb diets. I am a high level figure skater and want to weigh 115 lbs. I teeter between 125-27 and can never get lower than 125... how do I get this weight off?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jan 23, 2013, 08:53 PM
    If you are a high level figure skater, I imagine you have a coach. Does your coach want you to lose weight?
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2013, 09:08 PM
    How tall are you?

Jan 23, 2013, 09:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    If you are a high level figure skater, I imagine you have a coach. Does your coach want you to lose weight?
    They haven't said either way... Just for me personally in my ice dance partner search, it is better to be as light as possible without being emaciated.

Jan 23, 2013, 09:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknownuthin View Post
    How tall are you?
    5 ft 2.5 in
    Education Expert

Jan 23, 2013, 09:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jess_m10 View Post
    They haven't said either way... Just for me personally in my ice dance partner search, it is better to be as light as possible without being emaciated.
    Ask your doctor for advice on this subject due to your high level of exercise. Any fad diets or those without the correct nutrients could cause trouble and you could get hurt.

Jan 23, 2013, 09:53 PM
    Ask your doctor for advice on this subject due to your high level of exercise. Any fad diets or those without the correct nutrients could cause trouble and you could get hurt.
    Ok... It is just hard to talk to people about it. I don't look fat, but it is something I personally want to feel better about myself. Whenever I tell people, they just try to talk me out of it.
    Education Expert

Jan 23, 2013, 09:55 PM
    Ok... It is just hard to talk to people about it. I don't look fat, but it is something I personally want to feel better about myself. Whenever I tell people, they just try to talk me out of it.
    That's why you should see a doctor or nutritionist. That way if someone says something, you can tell them that your doctor is monitoring you.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 23, 2013, 09:56 PM
    What does your coach say?

"I personally want to feel better about myself." What will happen when you lose the weight?
    Education Expert

Jan 23, 2013, 09:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I asked that in the beginning. She said the coach didn't say either way.

Jan 23, 2013, 10:24 PM

"I personally want to feel better about myself." What will happen when you lose the weight?
    I'm hoping I'll be proud of myself and have more confidence.

Jan 23, 2013, 10:25 PM
    That's why you should see a doctor or nutritionist. That way if someone says something, you can tell them that your doctor is monitoring you.
    Ok... Thank you!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 23, 2013, 10:35 PM
    I'm hoping I'll be proud of myself and have more confidence.
    How are you going to lose the weight? (By the way, you are not overweight at all, so losing weight will not make you more confident or proud of yourself. There are better and easier ways to accomplish that!)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 23, 2013, 10:35 PM
    Also, how old are you?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 23, 2013, 11:12 PM
    I do know that in most sports, especially one like figure skating where lifting is involved, the lighter the partner, the easier it is. But, at your weight and height, you are definitely not overweight.

Having said that, you should speak to a doctor. If you've tried eating healthy, and you're obviously getting plenty of exercise, there may be an issue (like a thyroid problem, or something else) that's preventing you from losing weight.

If you're under a doctors care, and don't go on a fad diet, there's no harm in trying to be more fit. I just want to urge you to think about this, because really, you're fine the way you are, and having an unhealthy outlook on your body, is more dangerous than dieting.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2013, 11:13 PM
    If you are an athlete, I think your goal may be unrealistic. You need more muscle and if you cut protein you'll loose muscle; cut carbs and you won't have energy for your routines. I think the idea of seeing a doctor or nutritionist is a good one. You should be able to find a partner who can work with you as you are. Sorry - I'm sure that's not what you want to hear.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 23, 2013, 11:15 PM
    If you are an athlete, I think your goal may be unrealistic. You need more muscle and if you cut protein you'll loose muscle; cut carbs and you won't have energy for your routines. I think the idea of seeing a doctor or nutritionist is a good one. You should be able to find a partner who can work with you as you are. Sorry - I'm sure that's not what you want to hear.
    Great post! I had to spread the rep.

Also, muscle does weigh more than fat. The OP is an athlete, so 125 pounds on her frame will be a lot different than 125 pounds on someone that gets limited exercise.

Jan 24, 2013, 12:52 PM
    I agree that seeing a nutritionist would be the safest option... I need guidance so that I won't make any drastic changes that I'll regret.

Jan 24, 2013, 02:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    I do know that in most sports, especially one like figure skating where lifting is involved, the lighter the partner, the easier it is. But, at your weight and height, you are definitely not overweight.

Having said that, you should speak to a doctor. If you've tried eating healthy, and you're obviously getting plenty of exercise, there may be an issue (like a thyroid problem, or something else) that's preventing you from losing weight.

If you're under a doctors care, and don't go on a fad diet, there's no harm in trying to be more fit. I just want to urge you to think about this, because really, you're fine the way you are, and having an unhealthy outlook on your body, is more dangerous than dieting.
    Thanks for the encouragement... My situation makes this way more complicated than just trying the latest diet trend, so I agree and will see a nutritionist.

Jan 24, 2013, 02:20 PM
    How are you going to lose the weight? (By the way, you are not overweight at all, so losing weight will not make you more confident or proud of yourself. There are better and easier ways to accomplish that!)
    I kn

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am 13, 5'4 and 115 lbs... Do I weigh too much? [ 3 Answers ]

I am considered fit at my school, I'm not fat, neither skinny- my people say. Most of the girls way around 90-100 lbs but are like ten inches shorter than me. I am 5'4, 13. And I weigh 115 pounds, is that normal?

The high pressure side and low pressure side of my ac unit are at 115 lbs, what do I [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Goodman ac unit at my house,the high pressure side and low pressure side are equal at 115 lbs. How do I solve this problem, or what do I do to fix this problem.

I went from 100 lbs to 88 lbs, but I don't know why [ 4 Answers ]

I used to weigh almost 100 lbs, but all of a sudden I'm 88, I lost a cup size, and my shirts that used to be tight are now loose, along with a dress I wore in 8th grade, it falls right off me... (strapless) Is it bad? Unhealthy?

54 lbs [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, my name is destiney ingram. I am a 13 year old girl. I weight 164 pounds and i think that is too much for my age i want to lose 54 lbs bc i have been made fun of for several years and i want to prove by next school year that i can be skinny and lose weight an di dont know how to do that i...

View more questions Search