Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twanster Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2013, 11:11 AM
    Dates on a resume
    I have recently been offerd a position with a company and they are doing a background check with my past employers. Passed the physical/drug screen. The problem I'm having is that the dates on my resume don't coincidie with my actual dates according to previous employers. Will this result in them rescinding their offer or am I panicking and over thinking too much?

I've been with my past emplyer for almost 7 years now and the two previous jobs date back to 1999. I tried my best to recall the dates from that long ago but obviously I was incorrect.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 23, 2013, 11:16 AM
    How far off are they? Generally I don't put dates on a resume, but month and year. If the employment is more than 5 years previous I might even just put a year.

We can't answer how the variance will affect their perception of you and, in turn, the offer. They may view this, at best, as sloppy record keeping and wonder if that carries over to your job. At worst, they may feel you were falsifying data and you know how that will look. Or they may just chalk it to faulty memory from long ago.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 23, 2013, 11:25 AM
    A lot of times when I help people with resumes, especially with functional/skills-based ones, I don't even put dates on, but let that be a topic for the interview. All the resume is supposed to do is tease and intrigue them enough so you get an interview. It isn't supposed to be a perfect record of your work history.
    twanster Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2013, 11:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    How far off are they? Generally I don't put dates on a resume, but month and year. If the employment is more than 5 years previous I might even just put a year.

We can't answer how the variance will affect their perception of you and, in turn, the offer. They may view this, at best, as sloppy record keeping and wonder if that carries over to your job. At worst, they may feel you were falsifying data and you know how that will look. Or they may just chalk it to faulty memory from long ago.
    Ok, let me give you the break down so you have the info I'm dealing with.
    According to my resume it shows as follows...

Current employer----March 2004-present (it's actually March 2005-present
    2nd employer---------Sept 2002-March 2004 (it's actually April 2004-March 2005)
    3rd employer----------Feb 1999-Sept 2002 (it's actually Feb 1999-not sure of my exact quit date) Now in regards to this I talked to my old boss there and he is going to verify, when they call today or tomorrow, that my end date was April 2004 so it all matches up according to the correct timeline that was already verified. Obviously that's a big gap to make up but he will verify those correct dates with the service when they call. We're talking 8-12 years ago in regards to this job.

Thoughts? Opinions?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 23, 2013, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twanster View Post
    Current employer----March 2004-present (it's actually March 2005-present
    This one bothers me the most. It looks like you are inflating your time with your present employer and it should be info you knew accurately.

Then the other dates look like you were just trying to show no gaps. If there is another viable candidate, I would withdraw the offer.

I also asked my HR Mgr for her opinion and she had the same response.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reconciling with the dates on the payment receipts with the posted dates on statement [ 0 Answers ]

I pay a monthly assessment fee to my homeowners association. I always pay in person and obtain a dated receipt for my payment, but on two of the monthly statements, my payments were posted days after the dates on my receipts of payment. This resulted in being charged for a late fee on one and on...

I need a best warehouse&logistics resume can anybody make a resume for me? [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2.8 years working experience as warehouse assistant (from 2005 to 2008) in ZYX company,Malaysia and from oct 2009 to till date I am working as warehouse supervisor in XYZ company,saudi arabia based on these details please make a resume for me

Do doctors make mistakes about conception dates and due dates? [ 3 Answers ]

I don't understand, can doctors be wrong about conception dates and due dates?

Resume [ 3 Answers ]

How to make an effective resume?

View more questions Search