Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ktjtccjac3316 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2013, 02:31 AM
    Dealing with Disrespectful Employees
    Hello every one, after many years of managing people. Thirteen years with Walmart as a store manager, and 15 years of owing my own business with 5 stores I am at a lost how to deal with a dis-respectable associate.
    I decide to try a new job in a different field, I started in May of 2012 as a employee working on floor with 40 other guys.
    There was this one employee that I told hello everyday like I do to everyone I work with. He would not speak to me, or even acknowledge I was around.
    Anyway 5 months later I decide I would apply for the manager job that was getting ready to open up. After 6 interviews I get the job. Well this employee comes up to me and informs me that they will make sure it a rough start for me. I then ask him why he always needs to be a . Any way there was a lot of things said, from his end that was nasty. He ends up getting send home for a day with pay. This also is a union job.
    I have been the manager now for 2 months, I have talk to him, and ask him what I can do to make our working relationship better. He said nothing. When I ask him questions about his job, he is rude, if he speaks to me.
    This guy has all the things we need as a good employee, hate to loose him, but the rest of the team sees his actions.
    I need help?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 23, 2013, 03:22 AM
    This is why companies have grievance policies and procedures to follow.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 23, 2013, 04:10 AM
    I would ask for a meeting with your manager and the union steward. Since this is a union shop, you need to involve the union. See what you can work out, maybe have the worker transferred.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2013, 08:54 AM
    Sounds like insubordination. What is the company policy regarding that? What is the company disciplinary procedure? You have to rely on the policies and procedures in place, document violations, document that you have followed those policies, document any counseling sessions you have had with the employee(s) and that there has been no improvement in performance, then proceed within the provisions of the union agreement to get rid of this clown(s).
    Even where I worked in state government where grievance procedures were very detailed and with most employees represented by unions, and a very defined disciplinary policy (progressive discipline of about 4 steps, then out), insubordination was handled differently than lateness, poor performance etc.
    Insubordination, even with all the rules that were in place, when documented could and did in may instances result in immediate firing.
    If you don't have any clear policies to work with, if you do not have the backing of your supervisors, or if the union is strong enough to force the company to keep this employee-- move on because it can only get worse.
    Just wondering if the problem employee was a candidate for the job you got?
    This was often one of the questions in interviews where I worked- that is--what would you do if the other candidates for this position who will now be working for you, refuse to cooperate with you. The correct answer always was-- follow the disciplinary procedures and improve their performance, and if no improvement, get rid of him/her/them. Good Luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it legal to change full-time employees into part-time employees? [ 7 Answers ]

I would like to know how legal could be changing emplyees' schedulles without notice them before. I was working 40 hours each week since I started in my present job. They have been decreasing the number of hours for some employees. At this moment I'm working 32 hours each week, with 3 days off....

Employees ganging up on other employees [ 1 Answers ]

I am an owner of a small hotel, I have been informed today that the housekeeping staff are planning to 'make' the new front of house person leave because they don't like her pointing out things that they are not doing, which they are supposed to be doing. How do I deal with it? If this does...

Is this disrespectful? [ 4 Answers ]

If you recently had a fallout with your partner, is it appropriate to keep talking as "friends" immediately after?

18 yr old disrespectful [ 8 Answers ]

Please for those of you who have young adult children I need some advice. This is a long complicated story but the short version is this... My daughter at 16 had to deal with the death of her biological father. She met a boy (criminal) completely disrespected me and her step father, lived on...

View more questions Search