Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rkmach1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2013, 10:19 AM
    Unsafe work environment
    I work for A City Government and have been forced to work in a bldg. that does not pass International Building Codes on Plumbing,Fire and Building. It has only one egress , no operable bathrooms and has no Fire ext. Would this be considered a unsafe work environment? I have already filed a greviance with the Personel Board and awaiting their investagation? Should I file a civil lawsuit?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2013, 10:26 AM
    Building codes are not established at the international level.

They are established at the Federal further restricted to the state, county and even city level.

It would help to know where this actually is as this is an international site..
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 22, 2013, 11:44 AM
    If you have filed a grievance then wait for the result.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2013, 12:41 PM
    If in U.S. you should have plenty of options before going to the expense of filing lawsuit. Fire Dept. (Marshal) should be able to rule on fire concerns. Health dept, (city and/or state) regarding bathroom facilities. State safety divisions usually get involved in these issues too. Usually folks are concerned about remaining anonymous with these type complaints. You don't have that problem apparently. Or maybe you have a problem and just don't know it yet. Grievances often take years. If you have fire concerns especially blow the whistle. Depending on the responses from the different agencies you will also be able to determine if a lawsuit would be successful or not, before you star incurring expenses. Government employers usually always have an ace in the hole. If there is no money in the budget to cover the cost of a remedy, they know they will get cut some slack. Even government contracts in my experience have a budget clause they can use, even to cancel a formal contract.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unsafe work environment law- Hawaii [ 1 Answers ]

I work in a homeless shelter and I feel it is very vital to keep staff and member in a safe environment. A new rule was put into place were the "member" who has violated a rule of the shelter will be notified immediatately by a "shelter lead". Example: I see a rule violation as I walk pass...

What constitutes an "unsafe work environment"? [ 7 Answers ]

My company is currently experiencing severe issues with power problems (caused at least partially by the local energy company). This has resulted in power surges, power losses, and "brown outs". It has also caused us to lose air conditioning in much of our building. My office is an...

UPS unsafe work practices [ 3 Answers ]

Someone tell me how one of the riches companies in the world is able with the aid of the union to make their truck mechanics work with broken tools, no truck lifts(taking out and replacing a trans is pretty difficult to do on a creeper) no tire trucks(they have to jack the truck up as if it were a...

View more questions Search