Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lillolegs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2013, 07:12 AM
    What is the length of time I have to go to small claims court for unpaid debt?
    I bought sporting tickets from an individual who owned her company in June 2012. She was not knew to me as I have bought tickets from her for the last 3 - 4 years. She went out of business at some point in 2012 and only notified me in September 2012 that she would not be able to provide me with the tickets I had purchased and that she would reimburse me the $450 CAD which I paid her on June 6, 2012. She has made numerous promises since then to pay me back. I told her that I did not care if it was $5/week, but she need to show 'good faith' to pay me back. Up to now I have received 1 payment of $25 (November 26, 2012). She made a promise as recently as January 13, 2013 that she would be making a payment of $50 on January 18, 2013 (nothing received). I have documented all dates/times.

I would like to give her the benefit of the doubt as she 'claims' she closed her business due to health issues, however at the same time, I do not want to miss my window of opportunity in which I can take her to small claims court.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    lillolegs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2013, 07:14 AM
    I should also mention that this agreement took place in the province of Ontario, Canada.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 22, 2013, 07:51 AM
    You can take her to small claims any time, as are other people as well if she closed her business oweing people. It is well you have a paper trail. Do you know if she filed bankruptcy?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 22, 2013, 08:38 AM
    I would take her to court, then any agreement would be agreed to in court.
    Also just winning in court does not get you the money, often people win and get a judgement but never see any money. This just protects your rights to get the money.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 22, 2013, 11:38 AM
    The statute of limitations for debts of this sort in Ontario appears to be two years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I take roommate to small claims court for unpaid rent on verbal agreement [ 8 Answers ]

I made the common mistake of trusting a good friend. I was best friends with this girl for about 3 years, and when we both got accepted to the same program at the same college, we talked about getting an apartment together (with me and my girlfriend). So We decided to get a 3 bedroom apartment...

Fantasy football debt not being paid. Can I take to small claims court? [ 5 Answers ]

Fantasy football debt of $275.00 not being paid. Can I take to small claims court? Would this be considered a gambling debt and the courts won't accept my case?

How to file a motion to dismiss for time barred debt in small claims Texas [ 8 Answers ]

Cause of action date of March 15 1999 when last payment was to be made per plantiff's exhibit in complaint. Statutes of limitation is 4 years. I did submit answer with general denial and affirmative defense of statute already but still set for negotiation. Want to submit motion to dismiss...

Friend claims I owe him money and is taking it to small claims court [ 2 Answers ]

I was on holiday with a friend who booked and paid for a trip. When we got home he asked me for the money for this trip. He never told me how much it cost or that he would want me to contribute until afterwards. I have told him that he should have asked first and I wouldn't have gone as I cannot...

Filing claim in small claims court is there a time limit? [ 2 Answers ]

I completed a renovation job for a neighbour in February 2009. Was paid only partial sum, now neifgbour has sold house, made large profit due to quality of my renovations,hasn't responded to payment demands. Can I wait until January 01 2010 to sue for full sum owing or should I file before then?...

View more questions Search