Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rockermom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2013, 06:50 PM
    How can I help my 18 yr-old son who is a senior in high school graduate?
    He's not focusing on getting his work done, or in on time. I'm wearing myself out prodding, coaxing, encouraging. He wants to go to college to be a mechanic. I'd like to help him get motivated, but, he's easily distracted. He's a good kid, but, he's wasting time. He lost 2 take-home tests this weekend. His Algebra II teacher said if he completed & passed them he'd pass her class. He's dilly-dallying in his English classes too. He's 18, so I cannot legally enforce any restrictions on him. He's either texting, talking on the phone, online, playing his guitar & drums, or watching TV. I'm %100 behind him, how do I get him to get in the game?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 21, 2013, 07:06 PM
    Take away the computer, the video games, the cell phone, all the music to play or listen to, the TV, and the tablet/iPad. Everything he does has to be done (neatly!) with pen/pencil and paper (*cough* the way I used to do it in high school). Make sure his teachers know this.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jan 21, 2013, 08:23 PM
    Make an appointment with each of his teacher and attend with your son. Listen to their expectations and what will happen should he continue on this path toward failing his senior year. As Wondergirl said, remove all fun from his life and do not allow him to have these things back until his work is turned in on a regular basis.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 21, 2013, 10:40 PM
    The problem is you, your attitude, you stated you can not "legally" enforce, BULL
    He is living in your home, you are paying his bills you can enforce any rules you want.

Take the computer away, take the phone away ( who pays for them anyway?? ) ground him and start being a parent, It is easy to see from the post why he is the way he is, You have allowed it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to discipline 18 year old son/high school senior [ 10 Answers ]

Our son has recently turned 18 and started his senior year. All has been going pretty well. He stays busy with school and working 30 hours per week. On his days off he spends time with his friends which I understand. We don't especially like him spending a lot of time at his 20 year old cousins...

18 Year Old Son a Senior High school [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 18 year old son whom is in his senior year. I have raised him alone since 1997 along with his sisters. We are at a stage in his life where he is keeping secrets from me about who his friends are, getting high. He is in counceling and on medication for depression. We were close and I new...

Would a senior guy in high school go out with a sophomore girl in high school? [ 7 Answers ]

I am a sophomore in high school and I like this senior guy in my school. Last year I went out with this guy who was my age and he was way to imature for me, and wasn't looking for a real relationship, it somethimes seemed to be a friends with benefits thing then a relationship, all he ever wanted...

Son didn't graduate high school what to do? [ 7 Answers ]

:( Hello my son dropped out of school at the end of his senior year. He thought he was doing the right thing We live in Ky. He got a job in Fl. Making 25 an hour. This is good for a 18 year old boy so he thought. The company got in trouble now he has no job or diploma. He now has no job. This...

View more questions Search