Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fluffysama Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2013, 12:15 PM
    Missouri: Rental House Broken In, Who is responsible for repairs to broken window?
    The tenant was gone for a couple of weeks and over the break, there was a burglary and the burglar had broken into the kitchen window. Who is responsible for repairs to the broken window, the tenant or the landlord? And what are the Missouri laws relevant to this issue?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 21, 2013, 01:03 PM
    Unless something is in the lease terms about this, which isn't likely in a standard lease, the owner of the building is responsible, just as he is for a tree hitting the house in a storm, or other damage on the outside caused by factors not involving the tenant. (And inside the house certain systems are the liability of the owner too, such as furnaces and plumbing and wiring).

I'm not sure if there is a specific law covering this but it's common knowledge in all states.
    The fact that the tenants were gone is not relevant. They would have to have been gone a long time and left the place abandoned/neglected to be held liable.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 21, 2013, 02:13 PM
    This is damage to the structure, therefore the landlord would be responsible and it should be covered by insurance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Broken Pella window [ 5 Answers ]

My church has a couple broken Pella windows. They are the casement type, aluminum clad, a single pane of glass plus a storm window with a wood grid between. Is there any taking them apart and replacing the glass, or do I pay a Pella authorized technician to replace the whole sash? Remember, I am...

Broken window parts for Acorn Windows [ 4 Answers ]

I have windows that were manufactured by a company called Acorn Windows. Does anyone know where I can find some replacement parts?

Repairs to rental who is responsible? [ 3 Answers ]

I own a rental home and it s my first experience with renting it out. My question is, if the tenant breaks something like the sink's drain or a cabinet's hinge is that something I should fix or should they be charged for the damage?

Repairing broken glass block window [ 1 Answers ]

How do I repair / replace a broken glass block in a glass block window? It is right in the middle of the window. The window appears to have a rubber gasket between each block. Thanks.

Neighbor forcing us to pay broken window [ 2 Answers ]

My husband a few months back got into and argument with this man over an issue that did not pertain to my husband after talking things over my husband came back home and our two children and us were in our front yard washing our cars, when the man came back with another man and started shooting at...

View more questions Search