Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Amyyforthestars Posts: 49, Reputation: -1

Jan 19, 2013, 08:27 AM
    The use of marijuana..
    Does smoking weed make you cheat?

A few months ago my boyfriend got tweaked out because I smoked weed at a party with friends. He told me he didn't want me smoking it anymore because he thinks it would give me the urge to cheat on him.

I told him that's not the case because when I'm high I don't want to do anything but sit around and eat, sex or other guys don't cross my mind at all.

He's fine with me drinking which makes no sense what so ever because its alcohol that makes me flirty.

What are your opinions on this?
    Other than the fact that I know it's illegal and expensive.

Do you think it increase the urge to cheat?

Was it wrong for him to have made me quit?
    And it was forced, he gave me an ultimatum.

Also I have never smoked in front him.
    And I have only been around him when I was high that one time at the party, but we smoked in someone's car away from the party.
    I've always respect his wishes of not bringing weed into his car, house, or even my car when he's been in it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2013, 08:39 AM
    Hello Amy:

Weed doesn't make you cheat. It makes you eat.

excon
    Amyyforthestars Posts: 49, Reputation: -1

Jan 19, 2013, 10:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Amy:

Weed doesn't make you cheat. It makes you eat.

excon
    Lol that's what I'm saying! Thank you :)
    samcreed Posts: 132, Reputation: 18
    -

Jan 19, 2013, 12:18 PM
    I am 70yrs old, a widower, and have never smoked pot. The only reason anyone smokes pot, or even drinks alcohol, is to feel different. They have a problem with being themselves. Some say they like the taste of beer, wine, etc, but if it didn't have alcolhol in it, they wouldn't drink it!
    Yes, having your mind altered for a little while can make you feel differently, and do foolish things, like having sex with someone else cause you think it's OK at the time. Yes, pot can make you do silly things.
    If you don't mind being yourself all the time, and don't have to prove to yourself that you can't have fun until you are high, then PLEASE stop with the pot and alcohol. Good luck.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2013, 12:28 PM
    Hello sam:

Yes, pot can make you do silly things.
    You say you've NEVER smoked pot, yet you KNOW what it will do... Uhhh, NO you don't! You haven't a clue. Look. If you don't think she should smoke pot, tell her that.. But, don't make up things.

I'm 70 years old too.

Excon
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 19, 2013, 02:15 PM
    I'm not saying how I know this but I have to agree with excon here. It's not the same effect as alcohol and doesn't make you do completely out of character things like you could possibly do if you were drunk.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 19, 2013, 03:17 PM
    I warn you against pot only because you can get arrested, otherwise its safer than alcohol and when used in moderation, responsibly, then to each his own, and your boyfriend is a hypocrite.

You don't need anything to cheat, but drunks have been known to wake up next to strangers.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2013, 10:27 AM
    Samcreed, once again I have no idea where you're coming from.

People drink non-alcoholic beer all the time because they like the taste.

Don't lecture about pot if you've never used it.

You're a widower. I'm a widow. Know what drives me crazy? Non-widowed people who tell me "exactly how it feels" to be a widow. How the heck do they know?

Stick to what you know.
    samcreed Posts: 132, Reputation: 18
    -

Feb 3, 2013, 12:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello sam:

You say you've NEVER smoked pot, yet you KNOW what it will do... Uhhh, NO you don't! You haven't a clue. Look. If you don't think she should smoke pot, tell her that.. But, don't make up things.

I'm 70 years old too.

excon
    I am not "making things up"... there are hundreds of websites with information on the effects of pot. I read a lot. One of the things is that it makes you do silly things. If you smoked, isn't that true? Sorry I disagree with you. But your comment doesn't make any sense. I don't have to hit someone head on with a vehicle going 70 mph to know what it will do either. I have never done that... yet.
    smokey11 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Feb 6, 2013, 10:24 PM
    I could be wrong but your boyfriend might have experienced issues with drug use in the past and now has a set against all drugs including weed and is using cheating as an excuse/reason to get you to stop. He might not want the weed to lead you on to other drugs. You need to ask yourself is it really that important that you can let it put strain on your relationship. I have smoked in the past but stopped because in time it made me paranoid. Also he might be jealous of the fact that you smoked it in someone else's car. If that someone else is a guy then he could be afraid that you will have a better time with people who smoke joints rather than with him.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2013, 10:33 PM
    I suppose that one risk is that it's something social you do that doesn't include him - maybe you'd prefer a guy who smokes with you. It could also take the edges off self-conciousness, lower inhibitions, though I agree with you that alcohol is probably more powerful in this regard. Certainly, being stoned impacts judgment and reaction time, so it could make you more vulnerable to someone taking advantage of you.

I think saying it would make you cheat is a stretch. Then again, it is illegal and not the greatest thing to spend your time doing - I don't think your boyfriend can "make you" quit, or do anything for that matter. But is your relationship worth giving up a habit that is illegal and not great for you anyway? If not you should just be honest and tell him you're not giving it up, and let the chips fall as they may. Drugs are a deal breaker for a lot of people but you might as well face up to it if it is a deal breaker in your relationship.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 6, 2013, 11:33 PM
    If you are a cheater, it will make it easier to cheat, it alone does not make you do anything. Even the drinking, it is only an excuse to do what you want to do.
    MikeBear Posts: 31, Reputation: 9
    -

Feb 7, 2013, 12:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Samcreed, once again I have no idea where you're coming from.

People drink non-alcoholic beer all the time because they like the taste.

Don't lecture about pot if you've never used it.

You're a widower. I'm a widow. Know what drives me crazy? Non-widowed people who tell me "exactly how it feels" to be a widow. How the heck do they know?

Stick to what you know.
    I am new here, and I quess this is how to reply to something you wrote down.
    I have not seen any non-alcoholic beer in 30 years! Does someone still make it? The last I saw was in about 1955 and was called "Near Beer". Haven't seen any of any kind anywhere! The great majority of people who drink beer drink it because it has alcohol in it. If it didn't, I don't know anyone who would drink it.
    I didn't see that the person talking about pot was lecturing, either.
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Feb 7, 2013, 01:48 PM
    *not trying to make this a run away thread*, but Mike - there are tons of different non-alcoholic beers available! Ever heard of O'Douls? Lots of beer companys make a non-alcoholic version, Becks, Coors, Old Milwaukee, and St. Pauli for example. Obviously there was a strong enough demand for this product that companies saw a market in it. Believe it or not some people actually like the taste of beer, and drink it for the flavor. It's the same thing as someone who drinks decaf coffee, they're not looking for a caffeine rush, they like the taste of coffee..
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2013, 04:11 PM
    Mike, you have to either start getting out more or doing better research before you answer.

Does anyone drink near beer? (" If it didn't, I don't know anyone who would drink it.") I do - I enjoy the taste but not the alcohol and, no, I don't have a drinking problem.

There are tens of brands available in my local store.

And as far as what was being said about pot, whether it was a lecture, you are in the minority.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marijuana [ 4 Answers ]

I am 20 weeks pregnant and I just quit smoking marijuana a week ago. Will my babies meconiam still test positive for marijuana?

What does marijuana do to you exactly? [ 3 Answers ]

As in, when you smoke marijuana, what happens to you afterwards exactly and why? How does it work? I would love a play by play informed answer. I'm talking psychological and physiological. But not just what happens, also why. I'm curious as to what it does to the body exactly? I smoked it once...

Marijuana [ 5 Answers ]

My sister just got a really good job but she smokes marijuana... Is there anyway for her to pass a urine test without buying detox stuff? Is there any NATURAL/HOME remedy that REALLY works? I do not want to hear that drugs are bad because I am trying to help her out. Please give me some accurate...

Marijuana and me [ 7 Answers ]

So I've been smoking for about 5 years and its taken me a while while but I've realized that its something I'm really not interested in continuing. I'm in my second year of college so it crops up quite a bit. Its gotten to the point where I'm considering cutting out all my friends that do smoke. I...

View more questions Search